Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What Road Shoes
  • dannybgoode

Morning all

Having put up with shoes that are a fraction too small I am going to bite the bullet and buy some that actually fit.

I appreciate that I will need to try a few on before I make a final decision but any recommendations on what I should put on the short list.

My feet of slightly on the narrow side and 45/46 in size depending on the shoe.

Weight not so important but comfort is.

Budget up to £260.

So far tempted by the Spesh Expert or S-Works but am open to other ideas.

peteimpreza

Add Sidi to your list but fit is vital.

Buy what fits your feet not what everyone else says is good.

nemesis
    Free Member

Bont. Even the fairly cheap ones I have (A3) are better than any other (much more expensive) shoes I’ve had.

Spud

I run Sidi, two pairs; Genius 5 fit very well, Ergo 3 tighter fit and a lot stiffer. Also bought a pair of Fizik R3(I Think) from Planet X and they’re very nice and also bang on for shoe size, got them for a barmy £60.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have Giro Factor shoes. VERY light and stiff. Can’t complain at all

cyrilswan
    Free Member

+1 for the Fizik R3’s.
    I have quite narrow feet and the fit is perfect.

tomhoward

Got the sworks ones and they are incredibly comfy, way more than expected. Plus they are stiffer than an Amsterdam window cleaner! So so much better than the xc mtb shoes they replaced!

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve heard good things about Bont, especially as you can heat them up in the oven to get the fit even better!

nemesis
    Free Member

Well that’s kind of the point with Bonts – they’re all heat mouldable, even the ‘cheap’ ones (£100). I’ve found mine brilliant for my awkwardly shaped feet and they’re just significantly stiffer than anything else given the bathtub type design rather than just a flat plate like most other shoes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano are narrow.

SBC insoles are good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Laces are where it’s at now… 🙂

FWIW, recent road shoes have all been Spesh as they fit me well. Their latest range is not doing it for me and shall be having a good look at Bont when it’s time for my next pair. Do rather like the look of that Giro though (never been a fan of ratchets or the boa things.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ ohhh I’ve got a pair of those in black and orange.
    Bloody hell they’re comfy.. these…

I’ve also got a pair of Giro Factors, they’re bloody comfy too..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bikebouy, I like. Quite tempted by the Grio Prolight too, nice shoe with no funny ratchets…

By the way, when you tie them up (the Empires) where do the flappy bits of the laces go?

chakaping
    Free Member

Shimano come in normal (narrow-ish) and wide (slightly wider than normal) fittings.

I got this model (but in wider style) after reading glowing reviews and trying it on…
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r170-spd-sl-road-cycling-shoes/

tonyg2003

I’ve got some incredibly comfy Shimano shoes – partially heat mouldable – but have just bought some Bonts. Lots of folks rave about them so giving them a go. Heated-moulded them myself and should be going out today to test them.

Yak

Mavic come up narrow too.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ref the Bonts, most people find you need at least two goes at heating them up and moulding them to get them exactly right, sometimes more.

bikebouy
    Free Member

By the way, when you tie them up (the Empires) where do the flappy bits of the laces go?

The laces have a very small elastic retainer in amongst the lace pattern on the tongue, count three X’s from the top hole and you can just see it, bit like a D, thats’ it right there.

So far I’ve found they fit slightly wider than my factors, the leather is softer and more supple, the laces once done up stay done up (they’re made of some fancy material) the matt black has stayed matt black, I’ve been able to lace them up easily and when my feet expand a bit then they fit real snug and the heel cup holds my ankle/heel really well.

I like a lot.
    But then I like my factors too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. Just need to find somewhere local to try them out. Anyone know of anywhere around West Berks that does Giro shoes?

dannybgoode

Thanks all for your ideas.

Picked up a pair off Spesh Experts and very nice they are too. I have Spesh MTB shoes and like the for of them so seemed the best way to go.

Bit out for a short ride tonight to test cleat position etc and boy does riding in a pair of shoes that actually fit make a difference!

Can’t wait to go for a proper ride in them.

skeff10
    Free Member

Spesh, great shoes. Definitely make you go faster!

ollie51
    Free Member

Go to a bike shop with a bike fitter (a specialized dealer that does bg fit will be good for this) and have your feet assessed to determine arch support and whether you are varus or valgus in the forefoot. Your foot type can make certain brands completely unsuitable.

akira

Try some LG course or LG 100 carbons, really comfy and good for narrow feet. Just got done of the 100 carbons and living them, come with two insoles, one for hot weather and one for cooler conditions.

tonyg2003

I just heated up my Bont’s again yesterday and it has improved them again. Definitely getting super comfy.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What Road Shoes’ is closed to new replies.