Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What road helmet?
  • robbo1234biking

Can anyone recommend me a road helmet?

Budget is £50 to £60. Went into go outdoors today and quite liked this one but open to suggestions.

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/catlike-vacuum-helmet-p328540&gclid=cjwkcajw0qlobrbueiwamg5xmmqcdtu2npniwago7xoahrkb0-0i0boj0ws4l_vskygek5uyjmvwirocapiqavd_bwe&gclsrc=aw.ds

simondbarnes

Whichever one fits best

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Whichever one fits best

This.

robbo1234biking

thanks! Just looking for some recommendations of what to try!

jako

I like my Kask Mojito.

Have used Giro and Metz in the past. All about fit really.

submarined
    Free Member

The ‘whichever one fits best’ trope is always great and really helpful. Because ventilation, adjustment, durability, ease of mounting lights/cameras etc are completely immaterial.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Because ventilation, adjustment, durability, ease of mounting lights/cameras etc are completely immaterial.

All secondary concerns. If it doesn’t fit properly, ventilation is irrelevant. If there’s a pressure point on you forehead, it really doesn’t matter how easy it is to fit a light. Etc.

All valid concerns, but all secondary to fit.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Very happy with my Lazer lid.

Worth seeing if they fit your noggin.

submarined
    Free Member

All secondary concerns. If it doesn’t fit properly, ventilation is irrelevant. If there’s a pressure point on you forehead, it really doesn’t matter how easy it is to fit a light. Etc.

All valid concerns, but all secondary to fit
    Yes, but still very much part of buying a helmet.
    I found three MTB helmets that all fitted very well and discounted one immediately (TLD A1) because everyone reported how hot it ran.
    Of course fit is important, but let’s give people some credit and try and be a bit more helpful with personal experiences and opinions, huh?

I’m in exactly the same predicament as the OP, and I keep seeing exactly the same unhelpful responses when going though old threads on here, often from the same people.

therevokid
    Free Member

bell and giro almost fit me, lazer feel tail heavy. Kask best fit
    all round. Comfy. well ventilated. secure. love the gopro mount
    on the mtb lid.
    All that is based on my head shape though 🙂

slowster
    Free Member

If you can stretch your budget, Ribble are selling the Kask Mojito for £74.32 (use the discount code HELMET20). If you take a size Large, the Black/Red colour is currently only £64.76 with the discount.

davosaurusrex

I have a Scott at the mo which fits me better than a Kask mojito, unfortunately it is completely flat across the front edge which makes me a look a dork, even going by both my own and other road bike lid standards. So assuming the all important fit is good which are the least dorky looking road lids? I appreciate this is possibly the world’s most subjective question….

TiRed

Giro Savant if you have a Giro shaped head. Has many features of their more expensive helmets. What brand do you wear off-road? if the fit is good, chances are the same brand road helmets will also be good.

I find Kask helmets to be VERY uncomfortable. I have five Giro helmets (all Medium) and every one is a perfect fit. I’ve also written off three in serious accidents. They’ve all done their job.

Bez

I’d suggest starting with a Giro Transfer at £20 and seeing whether there’s anything you don’t like about it before committing another £30-40 of beer money.

Or, if you’re not riding hell-for-leather, a nice cotton cap for even less, but I’ll be shot down in flames if I suggest that on here 😉

brakes
    Free Member

spiuk dharma – a helmet that doesn’t make you look like a bionic mushroom.

submarined
    Free Member

What’s the for of the Kasks like?
    My IXS trail fits me really well, as does the TLD A1, but all the Giros I’ve tried were really uncomfy, and the METs were about as comfy as wearing a bag of bricks.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Specialized Echlon for me

davosaurusrex

Strangely I have a Kask Rex which fits brilliantly, the Mojito is OK but not perfect.
    Always used to wear Giros but their shape seems to have changed slightly in recent years. Might try on a Synthe if I can find one at a massive discount.

lunge

The Carnac ones at PX are cheap and fit my head well. Others hate them though.

davosaurusrex

Those Spiuks do look good, shame Merlin don’t have the blue/black at £50

Bez

I think fundamentally the only decent advice is to go to a couple of shops and try stuff on from multiple brands.

IHN

Because ventilation, adjustment, durability, ease of mounting lights/cameras etc are completely immaterial.

You can basically take all those things for granted on any modern helmet above about £30. Any differences touted between brands are marketing guff and they look different to look different, that’s all.

Fit is key.

submarined
    Free Member

You can basically take all those things for granted on any modern helmet above about £30.

At the risk of requiring a new helmet due to banging my own head repeatedly against a brick wall, no, you can’t. See A1 example above.

IHN

Alright, any road[/i] helmet over £30 will be well ventilated.

freeagent
    Free Member

Fit is everything.
    I tried loads last year when I was looking for a new road helmet – some were seriously uncomfortable!

I have a scruffy Scott lid which is now relegated to night rides (has lights fixed to it with Sugru) and a new Garneau helmet.

spawnofyorkshire

The Carnac ones at PX are cheap and fit my head well. Others hate them though.

Was going to suggest that too, I have the Podium SL and like it

robbo1234biking

Have had specialized helmets before so ended up going for a Specialized Align. Was only £30 so spent the other £30 on a commuting light from Torchy on Ebay. Helmet fits well and was comfy on ride into work this morning!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What road helmet?’ is closed to new replies.