• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What road bike wheelset for around £300?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade the Vision Team 30 wheelset that came on my Planet X Pro Carbon.

Looking at the Shimano Ultegra (which wiould match the groupset) or Zonda’s, anything else around this pricepoint?

munkster
    Free Member

My first handbuilts 3-4 years ago were Velocity A23 rims, Novatec superlight hubs, regular spokes (24/28), 1600g and £300 from Derek @ Wheelsmith. Transformed my bike. (Edit: YMMV)

jonba
    Free Member

There are some interesting options on Merlin. Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S WTS are £299.

There are a few things to think about. Mainly are you bothered about weight, aero, factory or handbuilt and the various merits of each.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stans alpha with tubeless

marvincooper

I’ll be selling a nearly new Ultegra wheelset shortly….

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I was thinking weight, avg speed is a fair bit under 20, which is where I’m lead to believe the aero advantage comes in? However I’m not the lightest at around 90kg so nothing too noodley

I was digging around the German sites and came across the Mavic Ksyrium Elites for not much over £300 with the current exchange rates…

Whole new World, thought it’d be a quick choice but so much to choose from

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Slightly over budget, but I’ve recently bought some jra jawbone wheels. Very impressed so far.

http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/in-stock/jra-jawbone-wheelset-with-pacenti-sl23-rims.html

hora
    Free Member

Ive seen Ultegras at c220 new.

Mine were a massive improvement over the FSAs and a doddle to change tubes on.

Tried that on the FSAs?…

If you can wait Ive heard good things about FLO wheels (US)

monkeyboyjc

I’ve ultegra’s – under budget as you can get them for around £220. I’ve had no issues at all, as you’d expect from shimano, good solid wheels.

prezet
    Free Member

I’ve just placed an order for a hand built pair of H Sons Archetypes on RS Mono hubs from August Wheelworks. They come in a tad over your budget at ~£330.

Poggy
    Free Member

Shimano RS81’s

For the money…. Amazing!

I am on the 80’s, older version & have put around 10,000 miles on them, these are the best wheels i have ridden. Have had x2 sets of Ultegra in the past & there is no comparison!

Stoner
    Free Member
    monkfish
    Free Member

Campag Zondas at £250 from Wiggle

JAG

I’ve recently purchased some Superstar hub/Pacenti SL23’s and I paid £200 in the May 20% off event. They’ll be £250 now.

They’re <1500 grams and roll very nicely. I’ve done about 100 miles so far and they feel great. I weigh about 85kg 😳

hilldodger
    Free Member

Have also been looking in this price range and finding it hard to see a reason not to buy these…..

http://www.swissside.com/shop/heidi-wheelset/

ceepers

Rs80 / 81’s are great in my experience. Light and definitely take some road buzz out.

Get latex tubes too, cheap but effective upgrade.

Average speed depends a little on where you live and how hilly it is!

cynic-al
    Free Member

cynic-al’s WHEEL FACTS!:

Light wheels (esp rims) are bugger all faster but feel good.

Aero wheels are a bit faster but heavier.

Most wheels don’t fall apart and these sorts of wheels will often get used in the dry only (note Dura Ace etc carbon/alu rims wear quickly though) but spares availability may be an issue if you go through a freehub body or break a spoke.

There are few crap rims around so any benefits are tangible such as weight/aero//tubeless compatibility. Comments like “These Pacentis build really well” are by and large meaningless.

“My/these hubs/wheels roll really well” is a waste of typing – any frictional losses are insignificant.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, mulling them all over. & yes Hora the FSA wheels are a pain in the are removing a tyre, its one of the reasons I’m looking to replace them!

hora
    Free Member

When I first got the Pro Carbon X with those wheels I remember cross winds being quite hairy, then the punctures. I remember having one puncture and as I was near Evans Cycles so decided for £5 fitting they could do it (theres a reason why I wanted it done)…. two innertubes and 20mins later the bloke came out and said ‘I can see what you mean’.

The GP4000’s roll on and off the ultegra rims like a dream with finger rolling pressure. Plus with the latex tubes its great…. plus not had a problem in crosswinds……..I don’t know why the FSA’s were a problem- the profile is very similar.

Heres a FLO30 wheelset review:

http://roadbikeaction.com/product-tests/aluminum-hoop-shoootout-hed-vs-3t-vs-flo-vs-dt-swiss

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What road bike wheelset for around £300?’ is closed to new replies.