Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What road bike out of these 2 shall i choose??
  • compkiler
    Free Member

Hey guys, im in two minds what to do atm…

Im after a new steed and im not sure weather to go for the 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Black Edt. with the old DI2 or go for the new 2016 Cannondale Caad 12 with the new Ultegra ??

Heres the links…

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cannondale/CAAD12-Ultegra-Road-Bike-2016/9C1D?wmp=260?wmp=260
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?show=5167

Any advice welcome.

Kind regards

mcnultycop

Steed?

akira

New caad 12, old ultegra di2 is i think incompatible with the newer stuff and rear mech are bit tricky to find.

timba
    Free Member

Shimano make a separate computer interface box for Di2 6770 (£100+) for the full range of problem-diagnosis, updates, etc. That might limit your choice of LBS and will be worth asking whether it’s included (IIRC, later Di2 systems incorporate this)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Di2 10spd a very expensive dead end to go down.

With that money I’d get a Supersix Ultegra reduced to 1500 at several outlets and put the money saved towards nicer wheels (aksiums the weak point of the bike).

I take it ally is a deliberate choice, though? In which case the Caad12 the nicest option IMHO.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah what crashtestmonkey said. 2015 Supersix Evo Ultegra widely available at that pricepoint.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CAAD12 looks like a fantastic frame.

edhornby

another vote for supersix ultegra option with better wheels

40mpg

I recently bought this for the same money, very pleased with it! Wheels are fine for the winter, may upgrade next year. Its a very nice colour too.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wxoeL7]IMG_20150802_174550697[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

The 11-speed Ultegra is massively better than the 10-speed too. I mean, like totally different, so much smoother and more positive shifting.

TiRed

Di2 10spd a very expensive dead end to go down.

Tracing a replacement 10spd Di2 RD will not be fun (or cheap!). 6870 basically combined the robustness of the 10spd wiring loom with the mechanics of Dura Ace.

For your budget, I’d go with 6800 and the CAAD12. I’m pleased with the manual 11spd (have both 10 and 11 Ultegra in three flavours) and it does offer extra gearing options once you swap rear cassette.

Both frames are superb. Will be little to tell them apart.

One last point – are you sure about sizing? Cannondales come up pretty large and I (and others) ride a size down (54 instead of a 56) with a longer stem for this reason. Have you tried either for size?

compkiler
    Free Member

Thanks for your input guys, think im going to go with the Caad12 Ultegra then.

As for sizing, i have a Canyon Aeroad with full Dura Ace as my best bike so this will be ab all year rounder as well as a bike to race on!
    I have different wheel sets so ill switch when needed.

My Aeroad is a 50 and i was thinking of going for the 52 Caad after looking at the cannondale sizing chart?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice second bike! A 52 looks about right assuming it’s the S sized aeroad.

TiRed

Agreed. And the 1cm shorter wheelbase will mean faster handling in the crits when you do race! They are great frames.

One thing to beware… it might be too nice and you’ll end up comparing the two. I’ve just got back to commuting on a road bike, and am riding the nice bike as much as possible so it doesn’t feel left out compared with the race bike. There is a difference in shifting between DA and 6800, (DA is nicer) but it is not huge. It is, however, always nice to lift down a sub 7 kilo bike to go for a ride 😉

compkiler
    Free Member

Im not sure how much the Caad12 with Ultegra will weigh tbh but i would imagine around the 7.5kg mark?
    My Aeroad is sub 7kg 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What road bike out of these 2 shall i choose??’ is closed to new replies.