Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What Rims should I buy?
  • orangerider1970
    Free Member

Hello I have a problem with a common condition known as 'Heavy Bike' everybody knows to start with their wheels so that is what I am doing. 🙂

At current I have Hope Pro II on Mavic EX823 UST, these are near 680grams or so (HEAVY)

I have been looking at other Mavics and there are some XC rims at around 400 grams.

The bike is a 17" Orange P7 and I will be taking it to wales for some Hardcore-Hardtail Insane-Terrain.

Does anyone know of a nice light rim that can handle abuse, or at least something lighter than the 823. I don't need downhill rims.

Taa very much

geetee1972
    Free Member

May I be the first to recommend the Stans Flow rim. It's 475g but tough enough for light DH use and can be run tubeless for further weight saving. For hardore riding you'll need the stans rim strip, not just the yellow rim tape, for tubeless. Maxxis tyres work really well as with these rims tubeless as do the new Specialized 2Bliss tyres.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mavic 719s would be my choice for a light but toughish rim

Hairychested
    Free Member

Mr Poddy's idea seconded.

davcow
    Free Member

I can agree with both replies.

I have used the 719s for 2 years and they are still tight and true.

And currently using the Flow rims for 6 months and are very good.

Just depends how wide you want the rim.
    External rim width of: 24mm ish for the 719s, and 28mm for the flows.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think it also depends on what you want the rim to do. The Flow has 100g more material in it so it's going to be a heck of a lot tougher than the 719 as well as wider and thus able to run a 2.35" tyre.

I don't think they are remotely comparable but I know that that's not what people intended here. I couldn't possibly get away with a 719 as I'm just too heavy and aggressive (read clumsy!), but a very skilled rider could probably run them for aggressive trail riding.

StuF

+1 for the 719s, I run those on my Cove HJ – no problems even for my 90kgs

orangerider1970
    Free Member

Thanks!

The Stans rims look lovely but my main concern with them is that I could get a pair of 719's for the price of one Flow rim,

this will take some thinking on my behalf. Can I justify? hmm yes no yes no :S

njee20
    Free Member

The Flow has 100g more material in it so it's going to be a heck of a lot tougher than the 719 as well as wider and thus able to run a 2.35" tyre

Huh? The Flows are 460g. Even 717s are only 395g.

The Stan's Arch would be both lighter and tougher than the 719 IMO, the Flow is altogether tougher.

If you're getting Hope hubs, why not buy Hope Hoops on Flows? The extra cost of the rim doesn't matter then.

nuke

The Flow has 100g more material in it so it's going to be a heck of a lot tougher than the 719 as well as wider and thus able to run a 2.35" tyre.

No, based on the respective websites, the Flow is 10g heavier…470g for Flow, 460g for 719.

Both good rims and I have got both but given only the marginal extra weight for the extra width, I'd take the Flows.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not quite sure where the 'double the price of a 719' is coming from either?

719 Disks are £40, have a search around, you can find Flows for £50.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sorry – my mistake. I was thinking the 717 (which are lighter although not by 100g as Njee points out).

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you want a new wheel rather than just new rims then Hope Hoops are amazing value for money and would allow you to get the Flow/Arch rims pretty much for the same money as the Mavic equivalent.

tron
    Free Member

EN521s weigh in at 540 grammes and still let you run decent sized tyres. The "XC" rims all seem to top out at 2.3" tyres, which is a bit of a gip on a hardtail, where you need high volume tyres to give some cushioning.

I_Ache
    Free Member

721s light enough for all day riding but tough enough for dh riding.

One rim to rule them all. Well apart from XC.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for the 521's. I have them on Hope hubs. I am pretty clumsy and have not managed to knock them out of true after 9 months of big rocky descents. Good compromise between weight, strength and price. As above, 719's not meant to be used above 2.3 tyres although I bet a lot do

orangerider1970
    Free Member

I was basing the price of a Stans rim from rutland which was the only mention here

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stans-flow-rims-cheapest-place-to-get-them

Stans being £81 on rutland – http://www.rutlandcycling.com/c/366/Rims-MTB.html?Page=2
    and…
    Mavic being £40.99 on CRC – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16641

Wherever you are getting them for £50 I don't know . . . But I'll have two! 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What Rims should I buy?’ is closed to new replies.