Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What rims for big mountains, rocks and jumping off stuff?
  • saxabar
    Free Member

I’m looking at a pair of Spank Spike’s, but many reviews seem to be negative. Any other suggestions, ideally that would come in metallic red?

jedi

one of my mates loved his and the other said they are great for square edge hits but not if you get a bit lazy and leave the back end out as they are weaker with side hits

saxabar
    Free Member

Thanks Jedi – food for thought

mwleeds

I have a spike on the front of the DH bike. The rear was very quickly replaced with a now discontinued syncros rim. Don’t do it, they’re made of cheese! I used to count multiple new dents after each ride. I’m not big (75kg) and have ridden the same trails (Wharncliffe, albeit on a smaller bike) with stans flows and had no problems.

peachos
    Free Member

i’ve got spikes on my nukeproof mega and before that the norco six. they’re still going strong and must be at least 18 months old now. solid rim IMO – haven’t had to true them up and there’s no significant ding in either. they’re used for everything at the moment, but i tend to hike up big mountains in the lakes. been ragged down DH tracks fairly often as well.

dunno how they would be for full-on DH, but for what i wanted they were a great buy (£165 for a built wheelset from SSC).

saxabar
    Free Member

Hmm, interesting. The Stan’s Flows get a good write up in Dirt too. More food for thought!

merida3000d
    Free Member

i have spank spike in red custom built with hope hubs and heavy duty spokes wheels never let me down on big drops hard decends or fast turns the only thing that let me down was the tires

jimjam
    Free Member

Mavic 823 all the way. Or a cheaper option would be the sun mtx.

peachos
    Free Member

after proclaiming the strength and brilliance of my Spike rims, I did this last night 😳

chiefgrooveguru

That must have been quite some hit with a 2.4 RQ on there (or you had a flat tyre)!

_tom_
    Free Member

Mavic 721 is the standard choice for me 🙂 Think they only come in black though. If you want coloured rims the Superstar DH ones got a good write up on Southern Downhill, think they used them for a season in Whistler so likely to have taken more abuse there than a whole year of riding over here.

edit – oops just seen this is an old thread and you’ve now got your wheels!

saxabar
    Free Member

Oh dear – thankfully I plumped for a set of Flows in the end!

peachos
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – i remember doing it: following too closely behind a mate and couldn’t avoid a sizeable rock.

didn’t realise i had done this until i got home though – VERY surprisingly, i didn’t get a flat!! DH tubes all the way…

i’ve got a 721 in stock to replace it with. i knew there was a reason i was keeping hold of this rim as a spare for so long!

ton

mavic 729………the only rim suitable for 20+ stone blokes :D.

cookeaa

I’ve still Got some 729s – Heavy, not quite as heavy as an 823 but not far off, 721 or EN521 are a good compromise weight wise…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What rims for big mountains, rocks and jumping off stuff?’ is closed to new replies.