Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What rear tyre to pair with a Conti Baron
  • SOAP
    Free Member

After suggestions for a rear tyre for the coming winter.
    Needs to be good at Natural/forest trails as well as trail Centres.

bigjim

I ran a Purgatory on the back with a baron on the front last winter and it was very good combo. Currently rocking double Baron but it is pretty draggy on the back.

medoramas
    Free Member

Purgatory on the back +1!

I run it with Butcher on front. Ultimate combo for my riding.

Northwind

Baron on the front, Butcher on the back for me- Baron is like cheating on the front but I never really liked it on the back, quite skiddy and unpredictable on harder wet stuff and fairly slow. Butcher is faster and a lot more consistent, deals well with all surfaces. Still not fast mind but I’ll trade a little drag for the control.

Purgatory seems quite good but I never really felt it was noticably faster than the Butcher, and it’s a fair bit less grippy.

akak
    Free Member

I left an x-king on the back last year through winter. Actually it was fine and only got into trouble once in drying mud when the Baron was also no good.

SOAP
    Free Member

Just swapped from Purg r Butcher f to Butcher r Baron f.
    baron looks a small 2.3 so better mud clearance.
    Gonna pop over FOD for a test run.

chiefgrooveguru

Rubber Queen / Trail King for me – great driving/braking grip in all conditions, rolls a lot faster than the Baron, enough edge grip and lets go predictably. Better on wet roots than Butcher/Purgatory, not as much cornering grip as Butcher.

I tried an XR-Mud when it got really claggy last winter and it rolled quicker and drove and braked as well but it was pretty hilariously wayward around the turns and over the tree roots. I may try it again if I’m feeling brave enough but once it dries out it’s not tough or big enough to hold up on the back of a hardtail.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Love love LOVE the Butcher, but the Purg isn’t the best at braking in a straight line.

Just got some MK2s – I’d pair one of those with a Baron, or a RQ (TK) in damper conditions. The X King is a brilliant rear tyre that I’d run at a trail centre year round, but not the best in the gloop.

Yes, I’m OCD about running tyres by the same company.

SOAP
    Free Member

Bloody great combo that. Just a shame my second hand baron is burped.
    Not sure I like the rear Butcher wider than the front.
    Any options on a Beaver in the rear ?

honourablegeorge

Different brand tyre front and back?

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Northwind

Soap, I’ve got a 2.25 Beaver somewhere, brand new but it doesn’t look much like I’m ever going to use it… Feel free to make an offer 😉

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

These spesh tyres any good tubeless?

In the market for a new rear myself. Tubless, 27.5, and suitable for boggy moors?

poah
    Free Member

run a conti Mountain king 2.2 protection at the back with my baron at the front.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Been running Butchers f&r for about 18 months but fancied a Baron up front for the winter. Is the Baron much narrower? Looking at the german database there doesnt seem to be much in it.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Ive got a baron coming in the post this week, will try and remember to post a side by side pic next to the butcher.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

anyone tried a Rock Razor in the mud?

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

That would be great Tom, thanks.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What rear tyre to pair with a Conti Baron’ is closed to new replies.