Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What rear shock for a bifter on a Prophet?
  • catfood
    Free Member

I put my Pearl 3.1 shock in at Rockshox for a service and they said not only was it **** beyond all recognition (their words), they also said it wasnt up to the job it was being asked to do, which is mostly pootling around the Surrey Hills, Norths Downs and and Swinley from time to time with a 15 stone bifter on the bike. They reckon I should buy something else. Im a bit miffed as Cannondale spec them on Prophets, which is why I bought it.

So Im looking for recommendations for a rear shock for a prophet that wont fall to bits, isnt too expensive and has good pro pedal as I tend to climb out of the saddle more than I should. I remember reading you need a certain type for a Prophet, rising rate I think?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

IA

15 stone doesn’t sound that heavy to me, I’m 12.5 + kit, I had a various fox air shocks on mine and they held up fine. Maybe give mojo a call, see what they recommend? They sometimes have reconditioned shocks cheap too if you ask. DHX air could be an option if you want something burlier.

peteimpreza
    catfood
    Free Member

Hi Pete, does the rp23 work on a prophet straight out the box, do you have to specify a certain type due to the regressive travel (whatever that means).

z1ppy

Got an rp23 on mine, & run couple of foxes air shock on other bike & am around you weight (ok more + everything including the kitchen sink in my pack).
    I believe the one linked to above @ merlin has the ‘std’ can (not HV/Hugh volume) which you need for complement the prophet suspension setup. If you need cheaper, then the Manitou 3way air can usually be picked up damned cheap.

peteimpreza

That one works just fine for me and it’s the standard air can.

z1ppy

Try this link about prophet rear suspension:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/high-volume-shock-on-regressive-rate-suspension

You either be enlightened, or more confused 😉
    Lots of other info on the ‘prophet’ tag @ the top of the page

catfood
    Free Member

Ill have a word with TF or Mojo but that rp23 at Merlin looks good, especially at that price, thanks folks.

Simon

On my Prophet I’m using the same RP23 from Merlin as peteimpreza. It replaced the standard Float R which worked OK but the RP23 is much better. But as said above you need the standard aircan not the HV. I’m around 13stone BTW.

timc
    Free Member

bifter is slang for cigs round our way haha

catfood
    Free Member

Just pulled the trigger on that rp23 at Merlin, £164 with discount, cheap as chips.

Thanks for the replies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What rear shock for a bifter on a Prophet?’ is closed to new replies.