Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What rear mech for 1×10 road set up?
  • benz
    Free Member

Building flat bar road bike for my wife.

Will have 40t front ring and 11>36 rear cassette. Have slx 10 speed shifter.

So can I use a short cage rear mech?

Also could I use a 105 10 speed rear mech with the Mtb 10 speed shifter?

Thanks.

Mister-P
    Free Member

No, you cannot use a 105 10 speed rear mech with the SLX shifter. Your best bet is a Zee short cage mech but make sure you get the FR model, not the DH model.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 mtb 10spd shifter needs mtb 10speed rear mech

and a 105 road mech won’t take a 36t sprocket anyway.

antigee

? I put an slx clutch mech with a 10speed cassette on my shopping/school run bike and find the gear change hard work to the point where I’m thinking of switching it back to single speed – is the zee mech easier to thumb? I thought I’d just get used to it with time but doesn’t seem like it

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I have 42T chainring and 11-36 cassette on my 1 x 10 training bike and use a Shimano Sora 9-speed short cage mech which works just fine. £14.50 from Ribble.

Mister-P
    Free Member

What shifter are you using?

antigee

What shifter are you using?

SLX tried rotating into different positions and using index finger for both up and down – maybe being lazy using thumb – or are other shifters easier

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sorry, that question was for forza.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Shimano Ultegra STI road shifters. I’m sure there must be a thumb shift system that would work though if that’s what you needed.

swanny853

Antigee, does it get easier if you turn the clutch off? Some of the slx mechs seem to be coming with the clutch far stiffer than it needs to be, makes the shifting very hard work. You can reduce how ‘clutchy’ it is and still have it hold the chain nicely but actually be able to shift it.

antigee

cheers swanny853 – surprisingly not tried that assumed its clutch on or off and that when off is no tension so will give it a go – running with a standard ring so that might suggest tension is high as had no problems on some bumpy bits of trail

Mister-P
    Free Member

The OP could use a 10 speed flat bar road shifter, SL-R7 something. But then he would need to buy a shifter and a rear mech. Much easier just to buy the Zee mech and use his existing shifter.

swanny853

Clutch off it basically works like a normal mech. If you want to turn down the amount of tension the clutch adds, look here.

benz
    Free Member

OP here….looks like I already had the solution….too much stuff in the garage ‘hidden’ in boxes.

Found a Deore m593 dyna-sys 10 speed rear mech. This should work fine with the SLX dyna-sys 10 speed shifter. Only issue is that it is long cage so not quite so tidy……

Thanks all ‘though.

antigee

swanny853 thanks for link – consider myself suddenly educated – had no idea tension was adjustable or even how the things worked will get fettling
    apologies to OP for slight thread hijack

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What rear mech for 1×10 road set up?’ is closed to new replies.