Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What pimpy Screw-On, singlespeed disc hub.
  • Militant_biker

As the subject says, I’m looking for a pimpy screw-on singlespeed disc hub. There was a rumour of a Hope one this summer but I can’t find anything concrete.

I’m not sold on the White Industries ENO disc as it sounds like adaptor hell to get the brake to work – anyone running it and can tell me it works?

My choice at present would be the standard ENO disc – any other choices?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Have a look at the poverty DMR revolver hub, had mine for 5 years + no issues (just stripped the hub apart to check the bearings all ok and reassembled)

it just works

tomlevell

Paul Components
    White Industries
    Phil Wood

Sam

Phil FTW. Not light but will last forever and a day.

tommid
    Free Member

Not that Pimpy, but you cant go wrong with a SUrly. I have several and I have never had an issue.

jonathan
    Free Member

I’m not sold on the White Industries ENO disc as it sounds like adaptor hell to get the brake to work – anyone running it and can tell me it works?

I presume you mean the Eccentric Disc hub? You have to have a very good reason to feel the need to use one of those – what’s the frame?

My choice at present would be the standard ENO disc – any other choices?

Standard ENO disc is fine here (5 years use). Very pretty and nicely made. I probably wouldn’t buy them again if I was buying now though. The bearings are quite exposed – no end cap between the bearing seal and the big wet world. So they can eat bearings a bit in very wet conditions. But they’re very easy to work on so bearing changes aren’t too much of a chore. The only other issue I’ve had is breaking a QR axle end insert.

Militant_biker

I presume you mean the Eccentric Disc hub? You have to have a very good reason to feel the need to use one of those – what’s the frame?

Yes – sorry, I meant the Eccentric Eno. The frame is a old but nice alloy frame with vertical drops. I currently use a tensioner.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Paul Component one is looking nice, although there’s not really much difference in the DMR one…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

surly 1×1… i think triton cycles (find them on the web) have them in ltd edition ano purple… they look fantastic…

i’ve got a pair built into white freedomdisc 29er rims, with a WI duo freehub (17/19t) for sale…

bent_udder
    Free Member

If you’ve got vertical dropouts and want to ditch the tensioner, then surely the Eccentric ENO is the only way to go?

I’m very happy with a DMR Revolver – not the flashest out there, but it works a treat – not had a single problem with mine for over a year. I’d strongly suggest getting a White Industries freehwheel as the pimpy component, and spend whatever’s left on the hub. 😀

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

2nd bent udder!!

its all abouth the free wheel

why not a casette hub?? as profile make a ver very nice hub!

jonathan
    Free Member

If you’ve got vertical dropouts and want to ditch the tensioner, then surely the Eccentric ENO is the only way to go?

With a disk then using a non-eccentric hub and an Excentriker BB might be a better (neater) option. But that is rather adding to the cost 😉

Militant_biker

I’ve already got me a White Industries freewheel – hence the need for a screw on hub. Shimano ones were lasting about 3 months, so it was a worthwhile investment.

I’m also happy to use a tensioner for the time being, it allows more options. I hope to get a proper singlespeed frame for the bike at some point. However, if the Eccentric ENO hub was OMG-amazing I might just stick with the frame I have.

That Excentriker BB is fab – except I’ve got some Middleburn UNO’s on square. Anybody make a square taper Eccentric BB? 🙂

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Riofer
    Free Member
    Militant_biker

Ooh – good spot – ta! I’ve not got used to the new forums here – searching an’ that 🙂

Riofer
    Free Member

No problem. I’ve got a Phil Woods hub with a WI freewheel. Not needed to touch it for 2 years + of riding in all conditions. Great hubs.

titaniumlover
    Free Member

replied… it’s a 32hole and never used! and sam at singular (who built it)

tells me it’s most likely an X717

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What pimpy Screw-On, singlespeed disc hub.’ is closed to new replies.