Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What phone should I be looking for if..
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wanted to add an app? Lets say Strava for instance (just as an instance of course)
    I’m a complete boob when it comes to phones & stuff.
    I’m on PAYG & don’t want or need all the gubbins that lots of phones can do, I don’t really want many (if any) apps at all really, just you know, mebbe a couple.
    2nd hand would do so can someone give a thicko some advice please?

The Samsung Galaxy I’ve got now Isn’t compatible App arently! But It’s quite old.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Motorola; motoE or something similar.

matt_outandabout

Motorola +1, Moto G flavour works well for colleagues and I at work and oab_family.
    £140 new, £80 s/h or Argos clearance shop as box open.

CountZero

Just because a given phone allows you to stuff it to the gills with dozens of apps doesn’t mean it’s the law, you have the choice to have as many or few as you want/need.
    He who dies with the most apps has just died… 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

He who dies with the most apps has just died…

I only want one! I don’t ‘do’ apps as a rule. I don’t even have Instagram! I’ve got a weather app & a tide times app but theyr’e on an Ipad for when I’m away. I don’t fancy lugging an Ipad on rides so I need a PAYG phone that’ll get Strava the odd app.

Preferably very cheap.

Mackem

Might be easier/just as cheap to get a GPS.

AlexSimon

Anything that can run Android Kit Kat or later I would reckon.
    You’ll need a decent GPS in there for strava. Some of the really cheap ones don’t have that.
    As far as I can tell Strava isn’t particularly power-hungry or RAM-hungry so anything should do.

As Mentioned Moto E might just be enough.
    Moto G
    Or loads of chinese Xiaomi/Cubot/Wileyfox
    EE have a couple of decent phones too.

Second hand these should all be £60ish

wwaswas

A number of the Sony Z phones are waterproof which is always handy in a bit of electronics you take riding with you.

allan23
    Free Member

£150 or so for a Sim Free Moto G4. Stock Android so no bloaty extras or customised interface. Happy with mine. You can get cheaper but when I looked, cheaper came with more compromises than I wanted.

Don’t use it to record Strava (Edge 510 for that) but it is a nice to be able to add photos using the Android App, can’t do it on the web and the Strava Developers seem to be clueless\unwilling about adding a photo upload facility to their website.

Del

just get a dedicated gps. cheaper, more reliable, more accurate.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

just get a dedicated gps.

any examples Del? (told you i was a boob) 😕

yetidave
    Free Member

I got one of the watches from Aldi a year back which is has GPS. Works much, much better than my cheap phone which often crashes and misses bits of the ride.

mogrim

Get a second hand Garmin FR 220 or similar, not 100% waterproof but showerproof and will sync (via your computer) to Strava without problem. How much do you want to spend?

molgrips
    Free Member

GPSes are much better at logging rides. I use a Garmin Edge Touring which is a bit idiosyncratic but has routable maps for £130 which is hard to beat.

On the one hand it’s handy to have your phone in the same device as your strava logging, cos you only need one device. However your phone battery will get used up pretty quickly with strava, and once it’s dead you have no emergency contact.

I use separate devices.

kimbers

Moto G3 here and very happy, paid 100 quid in a cyber monday deal from amazon.fr last year

works fine for strava etc

aracer
    Free Member

I have Strava on my phone, and I’m sure it would work fine for it as it’s an oldish but high end Sony. Have never used it for recording – use my Garmin watch instead. Depends what exactly you’re wanting to do though.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

iPhone 5C based on not much more than it’s what my wife and I have. Fairly cheap and do what you want.

We got “2nd hand” versions from Amazon – I think there was a teeeny scratch on the back of one of them for around £110.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Strava app does need a fair bit of memory etc, and can use up the battery fairly quickly.

There are plenty of simpler GPS logger apps for phones, which could give much better battery life. Then you can upload the file to Strava afterwards.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m trying to get my head around this same search at the mo (PAYG phone that will do Strava), after my Nokia “brick” mobile from Tesco in 2009 started playing up recently.

The search has potentially got a bit more urgent in the last ~24 hours, after silly me didn’t tighten the lid on a 500ml of Coke Zero yesterday and some liquid got inside the Nexus 7 2013 mini USB socket. 😳
    Tablet won’t charge any more and the battery died earlier (after setting a new home to work PB despite a cold threatening). 😈

Just ordered a wireless charger, I’m crossing everything that it gets the Nexus 7 2013 working again, it was an inspired surprise present last Xmas even before I realised it could do Strava with dubious GPS tracking).

AlexSimon

n0b0dy0ftheg0at – What I’ve done before is gently rinse with distilled water then allow to dry completely (be sure) before you attempt to turn it on.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cheers Alex, will bare that in mind if wireless charger doesn’t work out.

Del

old garmin
    there are newer on the market, but pays your money….
    height measurement is not very accurate on these ( or at least on mine ), but if you’re connecting it up to an app like strava all that will get figured out when it syncs with the mapping.

aracer
    Free Member

I think you need a 300 to get a barometric altimeter which is what you need for accurate height whilst in use (though as you say if you’re just interested in logging, then it all gets corrected later). My 910XT also has a baro altimeter and the accuracy is good – that was one of the principle reasons I got that, as it was the first Garmin watch which came with one. I’m not sure any phones have one of those anyway.

kimbers

n0b0dy0ftheg0at

I had to use the QI charger after i bust the usb port on my old nexus 4, it actually works really well, shame more phones dont use the tech!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What phone should I be looking for if..’ is closed to new replies.