Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What pet insurance?
  • LardLover
    Free Member

It appears that we shall shortly be getting another ickle-lickle Springer pup to replace Molly (7yrs) who sadly died a couple of months back after her liver decided to pack in 😥

Anyhoo, she wasn’t insured and after running up a £1500 vets bills we are keen that the next one will be.

Can anyone recommend a pet insurance?

Many thanks

Neil

JohnClimber
    Free Member

M&S

anagallis_arvensis

we have M&S seems good so far.

LardLover
    Free Member

Do they pay the vet directly or do you have to claim back? Please excuse my ignorance, it’s just we’ve being lucky for the past 15yrs and never had to pay a big vets bill until this year (lesson well and truely learned!), our other Springer is 15yrs old this year and hasn’t cost us a penny (apart from pain killers for his arthritic hips this last year).

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Insurance policies are there to make insurance companies shed loads of cash…

Put £25 a month aside, earn a little interest, and if your little treasure needs something, use it!

I am doing this with my second dog now, and still in pocket (by quite alot 😆 )

LardLover
    Free Member

Like your thinking ciderinsport, I think I’d be tempted to dip into it though 🙄

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I do from time to time 😳 Just ordered some new brakes from it!!

Still ok though, just in case he eats something….

DSCF1163 by ciderinsport, on Flickr

bruk

Like any insurance you get what you pay for to a degree.

I would suggest that lifetime cover is a good idea as some policies only cover a problem for 12 mths.

Otherwise a good level of cover ie around £4000 at least (dependent on where you live, ie higher in London. With the NHS we are so insulated from cost we have no idea how expensive some drugs can be.

Check with your vet if they will do direct claims with your chosen company. They don’t like some as they take forever to pay if they ever pay out.

personally use Petplan for the mutt.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve got petplan they have been great. One of my cats has needed £1700 worth of treatment which is far more than I’ve paid in. My other two cats have been vet free so it balances out. My Mum had Tesco who paid out quickly too.

fbk
    Free Member

Agreed you get what you pay for. And also re the “lifelong/lifetime” cover – frequently the most expensive claims are for long term medication and many cheap policies will stop paying after 12 months.

Check the small print and discuss it with your vet – they’re not really allowed to recommend particular companies but they can give you some guidance and tell you which companies thay are happy to deal with direct.

Yes, these companies are working the odds and there’s every chance you won’t need to use the cover. If you have the will power to put money to one side then fine. It’s always gutting to make a decision re the treatment of a pet based on what can be afforded rather than what’s best for the animal though.

Oh, and don’t touch E&L!

jsgrl925ws
    Free Member

I didn’t even know there was such thing as pet insurance.. We also spend so much on vet bills it’s ridiculous. My mom now ignores when my dog has a problem,, I hate it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What pet insurance?’ is closed to new replies.