Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What pedals for dodgy knees
  • stevie750

I am thinking about giving clip-in pedals another try. Previously I have used shimano spds but found these made my knees hurt. So I am looking for some pedals that have a lot of float. They can be either road or mtb specific pedals.
    Any suggestions?

d45yth
    Free Member

I use Time pedals, which have always been said to be good for bad knees. I think Ribble have always had the best deals on them.

z1ppy

Times… lots of float and they don’t usually* fall apart unlike the other main alternative

*I say usually, as I used them for year faultlessly & not heard of any issue with them.. then that vegan chappy come along and breaks a set in the 1st few rides…

mtbfix

If you like tinkering then get Crank Bros as they are excellent in terms of function but they do need more attention than I think a pedal should. Time just work forever but they do cost more.

deserter
    Free Member

I tried Shimano and they made my bad knee hurt pretty quickly, didn’t like Crank Bro’s as they had a very linear feel which meant I’d unclip a lot, settled on Time , very comfy and I like the feel of the engagement release

smiff
    Free Member

i use Time (Xroc), like them, and always hear they’re better for knees but they’re the only ones i’ve crashed in and not disconnected from… can’t be good for your knees having them twisted right around can it? mine aren’t adjustable, or maybe i’m doing something wrong. shimano’s disconnect too easily for me, i got Time partly for this reason, and the float.

carlphillips
    Free Member

times here again,excellent pedals.
    i never got on with my crank bros, lots of unintentional unclipping whilst airborne made me get rid of them.

ThePinkster

Used to use Shimano SPD’s but started getting a pain in the side of my right knee. Swapped to Times a few years ago and not had a single twinge since, with the one exception where I went back to SPD’s for one ride. It knackered both knees completely and was unable to ride a bike again for about 3 months on order of the physio.

He knew I’d swapped back to SPD’s before I’d finished telling him. Seems it’s a quite common complaint for cyclists.

Macavity
    Free Member
    bwaarp
    Free Member

Dodgy Knees?

Flats.

coatesy
    Free Member

Speedplay Frogs every time.

nedrapier

Dodgy knees?

Dodgy classifieds?

chiefgrooveguru

I’d stick with flats! Lots of good reading linked in the ‘must read posts’ box here: http://www.bikejames.com/

rickmeister

Another Time Attak user here. Same pedals on the whole fleet now. Had egg beaters which were great but needed tlc. Time have just gone on and on.

Having said that, are you sure your Shimano kit is set up correctly on the shoe, in the right position for your natural foot position… ?

timwillows
    Free Member

Another vote for Time, seem to last quite well too

ontor
    Free Member

My frogs are the best pedals I’ve ever used.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What pedals for dodgy knees’ is closed to new replies.