Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What PC Game?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Got a whizzy new PC, mainly for work and media, but since there’s a decent i5 CPU and 4Gb in there and a passable nvidia graphics card all pumped into a 20″ widescreen TFT panel, I fancy having a go at a new generation game.

Im a fan of FPS, but not online ones (what fun is there getting riddled with lead within 20 seconds by some 13 year old grommet from Wisconsin?)

Used to like Counter Strike and other half life engine stuff.

So what recommendations for something can get for a decent price on eBay?
    Cheers

incognito
    Free Member

cod modern warfare

bassspine
    Free Member

I’ve just found a copy of Carmageddon TDR2000 in the very old cds pile. Heehee it’s hilarious, when I bought it my PC at the time creaked under the strain, my lapdog runs it in full detail next to burning a CD and browsing the intertubes, but it is just stupid FUN. Try that 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

get the Steam thingy and you can download lots of games (you have to pay mind)

all of half life series kept me quiet for a while

Northwind

Stalker, and throw all the mods you can find at it. I’m not sure how good the second game (Clear Skies) shaped up once the fans had got into it but Shadow of Chernobyl ended up pretty stunning.

Stoner
    Free Member

mrmw – nice one with steam thing. Thats perfect ta.

Got any title recommendations on there?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not really, i got all excited about half life then my brief foray into gaming was over

got Call of Duty 1-3 etc fairly cheap i think

chrispy

Fallout 3 is great.
    Just started playing Fallout : new vegas which should also be good.
    Not a FPS but CIV 5 is good fun.

Stoner
    Free Member

counter strike source for 14 quid looks a good place to start bring back memories! 🙂

BenjiM

Half Life 2?

Steam is a must lots of bargains to be had. Not sure about CoD Modern Warfare 2. It’s still bloody expensive if you’re not going to play the multiplayer.
    Bioshock is worth a look it has an RPG element and is pretty terrifying. Unreal Tournament Black edition too. Look at the demos on Steam to see what you might fancy. Arma 2 is worth a look, there’s a demo available and it’s an FPS although it is pretty hardcore as a soldier sim.

Stoner
    Free Member

just installing steam now …

Creg

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R games are worth a look, 3 in the series:

Shadow Of Chernobyl
    Clear Sky
    Call Of Pripyat

Very atmospheric (a few brown trousers moments) and very entertaining indeed.

All should be on Steam

Shorty121
    Free Member

Battle field bad company 2 is a great pc game also Battle field 3 will be coming out which is even better

BenjiM

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is good but recently the online play has been suffering from a lot of cheating the game randomly dropping people or not updating stats at the end of the round, which considering that’s how you progress sucks. It’s somewhat disheartening having a great game and getting 4000 + points after 20 minutes and the game justs drops you to desktop at the end.

Metro 2033 is great but it does need a very good system to run it. it’s also probably full price, it was available a few months back for like 10 quid. Fallout 3 as well if you want a bit of Post Apocalyptic RPG FPS with slo mo murder 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Plants vs zombies on steam for about a fiver. It won’t give your new rig a workout but it will waste your life. Fallout: New Vegas is a good yarn and will no doubt be £20 by Xmas, It might chug a bit on highish detail (dunno what gpu u have). as many have said stalker. Crysis is really good till the aliens come and Bioshocks are quite inventive.

BenjiM

Red Faction Guerilla is only £3.74 for today only ~

leebaxter
    Free Member

Far cry 2 or Fear 2

nicko74

Crysis (whizzbang FPS)
    Fallout 3 (slower and more atmospheric)
    FEAR 2 (whizzbang FPS crossed with the Ring)
    Supreme Commander (RTS, really benefits from a high-spec PC, apparently)
    Far Cry 2
    Half Life 2 – the Orange Box

mboy
    Free Member

COD MW2 will likely have a price crash in a couple of weeks when Black Ops comes out.

IMO it’s not a bad game on its own without the online multiplayer anyway, as there’s lots of extra side missions to do. Though online play, even if you’re crap like me, is still excellent fun!

Oh, and sent you a Steam invite Stoner… Add me (maverickboy1980) when you’re done if you want some online action on COD or anything…

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Midnight Resistance
    Operation Wolf
    Miami Vice

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers mboy – wondered what that invite was! 🙂

Ive been reliving happy memories sniping on CS…

mboy
    Free Member

No worries

If you do decide to get COD MW2, I could do with a PC playing friend to help me complete a couple of cooperative missions. EVERYONE I know that plays it has either an XBOX or a PS3, nobody I know is on the PC!

samuri
    Free Member

Red Faction Guerilla is only £3.74 for today only ~

No way! That’s a totally awesome game (at least it was on the 360)

I see there’s a couple of suggestions for far cry 2. I thought it was complete pants. The first one was way better. FEAR is an excellent game, first game that made me properly jump.

I’d also say the STALKER games are excellent. MASSIVE.

Stoner
    Free Member

well on samuri’s sayso, Ive just ordered red faction guerilla on steam. WIll have a play on it later this week.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Slight hi-jack but does anyone know what recent Mac’s are like with games?

I didn’t buy it with games in mind, but similar to OP it would be nice to use the machine.
    It is a iMac with 3.2ghz i3and 512mb GFX card.

I have a PS3 as well, so only looking at games that would be better/only on the Mac.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

You can download Steam for the intel macs. Half-life 2 has been converted along with the source versions of CS & Team Fortress 2.

Left for Dead 2 is also there and a good few other titles.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

One game you absolutely HAVE to play is Mass Effect2, gets my vote for game of the year 😉

redthunder
    Free Member
    redthunder
    Free Member
    BenjiM

Farcry 2 is a yawn fest of going backwards and forwards and being interrupted by blokes in jeeps. When you shoot someone the bullet never seems to “connect”, there doesn’t seem to be any realism in a realistic looking game. No blood (even a little bit) no zonal shots on bodies e.e you can’t use a sniper rifle to get a head shot it seems to make no difference shooting the head or leg. It does look pretty though.

Mass Effect 2 on the other hand is an immense game and I don’t know how I forgot that! Definitely worth playing.

A group of mates and I were up all night having a Carmageddon session the night Princess Di was killed 0_o.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah difficult to beat ME2 for a good single-player FPS at the moment, although I haven’t bothered to replay it yet (and the mining is tedious – wish I’d known from the start you don’t really need to do much of it!).

CoD:MW2 is pretty good single-player to but as someone said might be worth waiting a couple more weeks to see if the price drops when Black Ops comes out.

Not really an FPS but it is real-time combat is Dragon Age: Origins, decent length for an RPG and cheap to now with the next version due out.

anjs
    Free Member

Oblivion is also worth a look if you like monsters and magic

lowey

Stoner, if you have Steam, buy the Orange Box. You get HL2, HL2 episodes 1 and 2, Portal (Brilliant) and Team Fortress 2. If your an Nvidia user you can also get HL” Death Match for free. Superb online FPS.

TF2 is an online game (same as CS) but it is quite “new player” friendly, relatively easy to learn and Lots and lots of players / servers.

There is also a STW Steam Group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/singletrackworld

brassneck

Slight hi-jack but does anyone know what recent Mac’s are like with games?

I didn’t buy it with games in mind, but similar to OP it would be nice to use the machine.
    It is a iMac with 3.2ghz i3and 512mb GFX card.

I have a PS3 as well, so only looking at games that would be better/only on the Mac.

You’re not going to find anything that challenges the PS3 for graphics I’d have thought. Games that live better in a PC environment like MMORPGs will perform well though, I can still play WoW on a 5 year old mac at decent frame rates. I’ve always preferred PCs for RPGs and strategy games myself, just like using a mouse and keyboard.

Milkie
    Free Member

Alien Swarm is pretty good, its free & on Steam.

mboy
    Free Member

well on samuri’s sayso, Ive just ordered red faction guerilla on steam. WIll have a play on it later this week.

Errr, I did the same… Only started playing it last night…

HIGHLY addictive blowing things up with C4 and sledgehammer!!! 😳

MrsToast
    Free Member

+1 for Team Fortress 2. THE PYRO IS A SPY!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What PC Game?’ is closed to new replies.