Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • what paint to cover this wall art …….
  • bruneep

Been asked to help paint over this wall 😯

looking at various stain blocking paints to avoid the gazillion layers of magnolia that would be needed.

any recommendations?
    go for a brand name of screwfix no nonsense?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Best
    Muriel
    EVAH!

Leave it as is!

bruneep

As much as I’d like to its not an option flashy, has to be painted over.

somouk
    Free Member

Get a decent white undercoat and then do a couple of layers. Should be fine.

Jamie
    Free Member

I used the Polycell stuff, admittedly for some stubborn water/leak stains, and it seemed alright.

Polycell One Coat Stain Stop

Not ridiculously priced at £20 for a litre at Homebase

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’d use aluminium paint as a primer, as it should give a dense cover and stop any of the colours bleeding through.

nickdavies

Shouldn’t be too bad. Zinsser primer then a good trade paint over the top. Don’t use the cheap crap. Couldn’t get zinsser locally last time so used the polycell primer linked by Jamie and it was ok. Use a roller not brush though.

mattyfez

Could you look at stripping /sanding it back with an orbital sander first? Depends what the wall is made of.

Is it plaster on brick or what?

Don’t see the point in adding more layers of thick paint unless you have to.

martinhutch

Can’t you stick something over the top and paint that, so that future generations of archeologists can ponder the significance of the original?

milleboy
    Free Member

Keep it, it will grow on you 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Could you look at stripping /sanding it back with an orbital sander first? Depends what the wall is made of.

If it’s made of rock, then the design will go all the way through.

mattyfez

If it’s made of rock, then the design will go all the way through.

Bloody hippies with thier irreversible wall art.

bruneep

Was looking at Zinsser paint then crown trade magnolia.

wall is plaster don’t really want to sand wall, enough to do without sanding that wall.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, that stuff is pretty good.
    And also +1 for good quality paint over the top.

maccruiskeen

Just stick a big patch of white paint on it and see what it does. If its been drawn / painted with a mix of media some might migrate through the paint (inks / sharpies are a devil for this – they might not be obvious in the final artwork but might have been used to draw the design out originally) and keep migrating through with every subsequent layer. Similarly some artist paints will create a surface that emulsion won’t readily bond to. Similarly the brush work might show through in relief – particularly the outlining of shapes. So you might not need to sand it off, but you might need to sand it flat.

So slap any old emulsion on and see if anything weird happens before committing to buying anything. You might be better off going over it with lining paper.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you have a problem with it bleeding through would it be worth adding a layer of lining paper over the top. My thinking is that lining paper is cheaper than paint and should give you a more neutral surface to paint on to.

[edit] sorry, just read the tail end of the post above Doh!

maccruiskeen

sorry, just read the tail end of the post above Doh!

]
    Thats alright – it was an edit 🙂

a11y

Is that a coat hook right in the middle?

RUINED.

maccruiskeen

Is that a coat hook right in the middle?

They’re for erotic auto-asphixiation shenanigans whilst imagining yourself at the mouth of hell

funkmasterp

attack it with a hammer and then replaster it. Shouldn’t be too much hassle.

nickdavies

Rather than bullseye you might find wallpaper cover up is cheaper and does the job you need.

timber

Paint it grey, the cheap value stuff will do. Covers bold colours better than white, but is still light enough to not affect a lighter final coat.

Wookster

Second the poly cell stuff it covered a deep purple wall I needed to be rid of!!

batfink
    Free Member

My old flat had kawasaki-green walls with a navy blue “feature” wall – the t**t even painted the radiator, the windowsill, and all the woodwork dark navy blue.

Using grey undercoat is a good call – wish I had thought of that 🙁

I still have nightmares about it.

spooky_b329

I’d ‘size’ the wall with paste, then paper over with lining paper. (joins go horizontal as less noticeable)

Then paint over. Less paint, and someone will get the joy of rediscovering it in 30 years time…

You could even print out this thread and stick it to the wall 😉

flip456
    Free Member

Zinzer BIN would be my go to stain blocker, brilliant stuff.

redthunder
    Free Member

Plaster it ?

kayla1
    Free Member

Is the reflection in the water going in the wrong direction? It should be heading back to the right bottom corner rather than the left, shouldn’t it?

finbar
    Free Member

As much as I’d like to its not an option flashy, has to be painted over.

I’m struggling to imagine what circumstances could possibly mean that is truly the case.

jimdubleyou

You have to let that live forever. Lining paper FTW.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That’s an original Wanksy, you have to preserve it or sell it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Think yourself lucky, they could’ve bought an end terrace in Belfast…

bruneep

well the Zinsser paint seemed to do the job.

applied two coats today will see how it looks over the weekend, presently think 2 coats of finish paint might do.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘what paint to cover this wall art …….’ is closed to new replies.