Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What paint stripper
  • Simon

The paint on my Ragley Mmmbop is slowly falling off and I want to remove what’s left of it as quickly and easily as possible.
    What paint stripper should I use?

chip
    Free Member

Nitromorse used to be mustard but useless now.
    Ring around local powdercoaters as you may be surprised how cheaply they will do it for you.

Simon

That was another option, there’s a powder coaters just up the road that have done bike frames and scooter bits for mates before.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

As already stated, the likes of Nitro-Mors etc. have been sanitised and are rubbish now. Trade stuff is still available at any decent paint-shop supplier. It is the old formulation and is pretty nasty stuff.

It costs around a tenner for a tin but, if you’re getting the frame powdered, they could media-blast it for you and save you the hassle…

plus-one

I recently removed paint from a fork with this..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-paint-varnish-stripper/17091

deadkenny
    Free Member

DOT 5.1 😆

matt007
    Free Member

i stripped the paint off a pitch with the cheap B+Q own brand stuff, paint on nice and thick, leave for a few hours (2-3+) then give it a good bushing with a brass wire brush (something not so stiff as to scratch up the ali too much). Came out quite well, then I polished it up with some wet ‘n dry.

Northwind

Someone mentioned on here that nitromors used to be full of dichloromethane- so I bought some of that. It comes in a liquid form which isn’t really ideal, I mixed it 50/50 with an old tin of nitromors which I will admit I was worried might cause an explosion or mustard gas or something but it worked pretty well- still a bit runny and not as comically destructive as nitromors. I thought maybe just mixing it with something soluble to thicken it, sugar or something, might do the job. Cornflour…

All in all, fannying around with industrial chemicals when you have no idea what you’re doing is probably a terrible idea but it got the job done.

Simon

Sounds like fun though

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

I thought maybe just mixing it with something soluble to thicken it, sugar or something, might do the job. Cornflour…

Wallpaper paste might be a better thickener and the mixture should stay put in the area you apply it to. I have used it with a caustic soda mix to strip anodised parts. Cheaper than oven pride and good for rims and stuff where you’d need a massive bucket to submerge them in. 😉

I should have said auto paint suppliers for old school paint stripper BTW…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Simon – is that Triple-S in Bingley? They’ve done a couple of my frames and they’re dead good. I’m sure they’d just dip it if you wanted.

Otherwise, Chris who lives up in Wilsden is currently trying to strip the paint of his Blue Pig is apparently is having a right mare with it. Tried nitromors etc and no good so whatever you discover, I’ll let him know to try it!

Simon

Yeah Dave, Triple S. I’ll get a price for stripping and see how it compares to the cost of auto paint stripper. Sounds like it might be easier and quicker to pay to have it done 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What paint stripper’ is closed to new replies.