Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What options to make a RP23 better for a 90kg rider… or is it replacement?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’m running a Yeti ASR 5 with the factory Fox RP23 but ive never been overly impressed with it.
    It rides fairly well but just feels to spongy and at my weight of 90kg I’m already got the PSI ramped up.

The pro pedal has never been good from day 1 and I did wonder if it was not performing as it should or just whether at my weight I’m pushing it’s boundarys.

So what to do? I know nothing about shocks but have heard of TFT’s push tuning as well as the kashima upgrades (surely more gimmick than performance?!) but wonder whether I’m just to big for the RP23 and I’d be better looking at other shocks? If so what am I looking at?

I do mostly XC / trails type riding with a healthy dose of trail centres and fun parks.
    Bikes currently about 24lb so I don’t want to hang a 4lb shock on it but if the air shocks are no good the I may have to consider a middle ground if there is one!

Im thinking of a service in the future so wondered whether to get it pushed or I just look at something different

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Someone will be along with more detail in a minute I’m sure but you aren’t all that heavy, I’m certain you’ll be able to get the RP23 tuned to feel great without too much trouble.

vmgscot

Same weight/same riding but on a Yeti 575 (RP23 BV)… had it service and Pushed a few months ago by TF and it certainly is more supportive/less squidgy now than it was.

honourablegeorge

Sticking a volume spacer into it is a cheap way of changing the characteristics of the shock – surprised you’d need it at 60kg, but it will only cost a few quid, versus tuning or replacing which are much more expensive.

Edit – misread you, at 90 kg, yes, definitely, try a volume spacer first.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Get TFTune to Push it

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup do that. I’m 110kg and they’ve made it work really well for me. Lockout is solid and it holds up much better on compressions drops etc etc while still tracking the ground well. As mine needed a service anyway the extra cost for tuning was bearable.

khani
    Free Member

If it’s got a high volume air can try some volume reducer shims first, ime HV cans and portly heavier riders don’t mix well sometimes,
    Otherwise a custom tune or a Push tune can work well..

spacemonkey

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU[/video]

mildred

Did you get the Yeti in the CRC sale? I got my asr5c from them and the rp23 was faulty from day one. Here’s my comments from an earlier thread:

Does the propedal work on each of its different settings? I there any damping effect throughout the range, of adjustment or does it only make a difference on the last few clicks of the dial?
    EVERY rp23 I’ve ever owned has made wheezy, sucky, gurgly noises from new. Despite what Internet forums say this is not normal – they do make some noise but not so much that you notice it when riding. If the noise is accompanied by the above symptoms then it’s cavitated and needs rebuilding – I’m no expert just very experienced in shoddy Fox Rp23’s..!
    Like I said, every one I’ve owned has done this, and each time I’ve sent it away under warranty, they’re come back quiet and fully functioning.

I’m 96kg fully kitted and once mine from my Yeti came back it was totally different – actually worked..!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, got the rp23 yetiasr5c on the crc sale.. Can’t seem to notice any changes between switches.. And flicking the switch itself very flimsy.. Upside is it feels plush from what i expected and to my needs. Does this still mean i have a broken rp23 from day 1?

zerocool

When I used to be 100kg I had the same problem. TF Pushed it for me (and a few other tweaks) and now it’s riding sweet. Still sweet now I’m 90KG as well

pondy
    Free Member

What psi is the op and others running at? I had the same issue, I have s rp23 on a hemlock. Used to blow throw the travel so tf tuned pushed it, made a big difference and it ramped up more. Not rode the bike much now and put 2 stone since. Now at 90kg. I read online that you should set your preside at your weight in pounds, should be around 200psi for me, I think I have 150psi with large volume spacers, in my current state I can’t bottom shock out but it feels spongy like it can’t support my weight so thinking on changing to a medium spacer and upping the pressure?

With pro pedal, in sure when it gets pushed the pro pedal gets disabled,

sq225917
    Free Member

13 stone, 200psi for me.

zerocool

I just put in about 180 psi or whatever it was to give me 30% sag and never really use the Pro Pedal setting on my Alpine 160

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What options to make a RP23 better for a 90kg rider… or is it replacement?’ is closed to new replies.