Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What odd biking sights have you seen on your daily commute?
  • Dancake
    Free Member

Saw a chap riding the path to where I work with just one crank on his bike yesterday

I regularly see a chap riding on the path with a 26″ wheel trike wearing a full face helmet.

edit: maybe not 26″

binners

It always amazes me the amount of people you see with approximately 2psi in their tyres. Helmets being worn backwards seems to be a favourite too

meehaja
    Free Member

round here its all about the 26″ rear wheel 20″ front wheel. Usually seen on a FS BSO.

uwe-r
    Free Member

There is a guy who does the last leg of my commute and has been for years, I don’t know where he starts / how long his ride is, but he does it on what is at least a 10 year old BSO that is completely knackered the drive train is like a ball of bone dry rust and he goes for the classic plastic bag for a seat look. Riding behind him the bike sounds terrible all squeaks and rumbles, all round it’s a horrific bike.

Now I have been doing this commute for over 5 years and have had a number of different bikes he just keeps on going with his and nothing appears to change.

Doesn’t slow him down as well, he is just as fast as me. Respect to him.

flyingmonkeycorps

When we actually have nice weather for more than half an hour, and I can commute offroad (it’s a bogfest at the moment and not worth the effort) I pass through the car park of a pub on the side of the river. One morning I spotted what looked like a leather wallet in one of the bays. I actually rode past it (half asleep) but a few yards later something clicked that I really ought to go have a look.

Turns out it was a wallet holding a disability badge and a set of house keys. Stuck it in my bag and called the police when I got to work – the little old lady who’d been robbed the night before was delighted to get it back, and the police were interested to hear that the car park was being used by robbing scrotes to go through pickings…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brompton + Full Face + Armour + Altura hi-viz jacket = GNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Dancake
    Free Member

Just remembered another one.

On a night ride my mate and I were riding down a deserted B road when we saw the blink of a bike light in the bushes by the side of the road.

In the bush was a 50-something chap lying on his front next to his bike (helmet still on) Assuming he had taken a tumble we offered assistance. He was clearly irritated by our intrusion and sent us on our way. It was 2.00AM. The chap was very well spoken .

binners

There’s a bloke I used to see on the commute into town. He looked in his 60’s, wore a bright orange piss-pot helmet, rides an ancient road bike and is seriously fast as ****!!!

On mentioning that I’d been regularly left for dead by him, it seems plenty of other people have too

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You may need need eye bleach after viewing

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

backwards helmets and backwards rigid forks on BSOs* depressingly common. See a guy ride into Oxford every day with a cheap full face which looks painfully too small. Saw a guy riding with bars twisted to side about 45 degrees, look of 100% concentration on his face keeping the bike in a straight line.

*actually saw a lady complete the oxford-cambridge ride on a reversed fork Apollo 😯 8)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What odd biking sights have you seen on your daily commute?’ is closed to new replies.