• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What oakleys for riding and running?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I’m out of touch, last pair I had were razor blades, anyone recomend me some oakleys that’ll do for both riding (road and mtb) and running. Basically light, grippy, changeable lens.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Split jackets with vented lenses, smaller than the jawbones and they stay put during runs/rides.

dknwhy

I think Oakley peaked with the Radar. Have got 2 pairs and would not use anything else.

transporter13
    Free Member

Still using some 14 year old oakley splice. Don’t think ill ever part with them

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers. may have a look for a pair of used radars in that case.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Don’t sit on Oakleys…

Their customer service is awesome though.

Kuco

I run and ride in Half Jackets but I also do in Adidas Evil Eyes though the Oakleys are lighter.

speed12
    Free Member

Jawbones (or whatever they are called these days – Racing Jackets?) would get my vote. They still have a huge field of view even with the frame beneath – although probably not quite as big as the Radars – and have the advantage that the thicker frame acts as a good light block around the sides. I use them riding, running, and any other sport and they don’t move an inch. Weight nothing as well.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Got some jawbones for sale if anyone’s interested – retina burn with black jaws but also have red jaws and red earsocks to make them look particularly lairy. Black irid and persimmon lenses.

daftvader
    Free Member

Flak jacket xlj…. just dont look at the prescription version ….

CountZero

There’s always the perennial Mumbo/M-Frame.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I’m now going for radars, as my jawbones obscure my vision on my look backs! And my jawbones come forward sometimes when riding which is annoying!

JoeG
    Free Member

Oakley Overthetops. Definitely! 😆

pictonroad

Was just about to say, on the road, jawbones have a car sized blind spot when looking back.

CountZero

It might be worth pointing out that there are a couple of sources of replacement lenses for Oakley, Arnet/Arnette, which are really pretty cheap, and from my experience, (+Red Iridium analogue for Frogskins), indistinguishable from the original, so picking up some cheap ones from fleabay with scratched lenses might be an option. Replacements are around $35-ish.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/revantoptics
    http://www.thesunglassfix.com/Sunglass-Replacement-Lenses/2178-Oakley-Flak-XLJ-Sunglass-Replacement-Lenses-63mm-Wide/

bensales
    Free Member

Flak Jacket XLJ, no question. They don’t budge when running, fit under a helmet easily, and have interchangeable lenses. I love mine.

Pigface
    Free Member

Can you still get overthetops?

DT78
    Free Member

Have jawbones, flak xlj and radar xl. The radars look the dorkiest but are the only ones that can be relied on not to steam up on wet days

matthewjb
    Free Member

I have Half jackets, Flak jackets and Split Jackets.

All great. Split jackets have the closest fit for me. Flak jackets (XLJ lens) cover a bit too little for off road riding. Too big a gap.

Personally I find Radars too big. But that’s the problem. It depends on the shape of your head.

Try some on and then buy them from Eyewear Outlet 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

anything as long as its not polarised… was in a shop last week (ok, an Oakley outlet store) and the sales girl was trying to convince some guy that the polarised (150€ rather than the same frame, non-polarised glasses for 95€) were the ones to get. tbf, she was fat and i doubt she had ridden a bike-bike ever and oakley to present the polarised lenses as being better for riding. (in the store there was a box with a light and some glass slid in there. with normal lenses you could see the reflection of the light and coudn’t see the image beneath the glass. with the polarised lenses you could.)

i had a pair and now rarely use them and then only for driving/looking cool.
    find the polarisation (word?) makes rocks and other slick surfaces appear wet. don’t get what the advantage would be. for fishing however they are much better!

Kuco

Eyewear out let doing £20 off custom ones at the moment.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What oakleys for riding and running?’ is closed to new replies.