Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What notice period with no contract?
  • tails
    Free Member

As per the title, I have no written contract and no real verbal contract nor do we have a company handbook.

Someone in the same position thinks 1 week!! I have been there a few 1 year and 10 months.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

so how were you employed?? Who employed you to do this job??

is it full time/part time??

what sector?

tails
    Free Member

The job is full time in the private sector. I replied to a job advert and had an interview with one of the bosses.

No one has a contract which also benefits them I guess, I don’t want to pull a vanishing act although my bosses ego may find resignation hard to take. I need to make a decision in regards to this http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/decisions-decisions-3

nbt

1 week for the first two years, then one week per full year employed to a maximum of ten weeks (I think).

So, at 1 year 10 months your notice period is one week. In two months it’ll go up to two weeks

wallop

Realistically, even with a contract they couldn’t make you come to work, but it’s always better to not burn bridges – I would do the decent thing and give them four weeks notice.

andy7t2
    Free Member

do you think there gonna pay you if you give 4 week notice

i’d just leave the day after payday

tails
    Free Member

Tomorrow then lol!

nbt can I ask where you got that info from? Is it on a government website?

konabunny
    Free Member

Give your employer the right amount of notice. By law, you must give one week’s notice if you have worked for your employer for a month or more. Your contract may demand longer.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/DG_10026688

NBT, you’re sure you’re not confusing it with redundancy pay?
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_174330

Onzadog
    Free Member

How soon do you start the new job and do you need the two pay cheques to run concurrently?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Also, how are you paid? We’re three weeks in arrears, one in advance. That affected my decision.

tails
    Free Member

I’m paid today on a monthly basis. I could afford to sit for a little, but I can’t afford to be unemployed.

konabunny
    Free Member

How soon do you start the new job and do you need the two pay cheques to run concurrently?

S/he’s not going to get two paycheques concurrently unless someone feels very generous!

OP is resigning, not being fired. OP needs to either work out their notice (in which case they’ll be paid by old employer and not by new one because they haven’t done any work for them yet) or the OP’s old employer will waive the notice period but won’t pay them (because OP didn’t work!).

Edit: I think I might have misinterpreted your post and I take it back. I suppose it is possible that e.g. you had an old employer that paid 4 weeks in arrears and a new employer that paid 2 weeks in arrears that you could in fact get paid twice during the same week. But you wouldn’t get paid twice FOR the same week unless you actually worked two jobs during the same week. Apologies for confusion.

konabunny
    Free Member

ETA: found a better resource. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Resigningorretiring/DG_175837

(NB that you do have an employment contract – it’s just that it’s unwritten and mostly implied).

Perhaps more importantly: how soon will your new employer take you? And how willing are you to burn a bridge with your old employer?

nbt

Ermm – having just been through redundancy then got a new job, I may have confused things slightly 😳

Having said that the “standard” contract I was initially given to read over did contain the “one week per year” clause, although the real contract for my new job is a standard 4 weeks notice thing.

tails
    Free Member

I’m reasonably sure it is 1 week as per the link, I don’t want to burn bridges that’s whyI’m asking here. TJ would know, does he still use this forum?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Tails, do you have a job to go into once you leave?

zokes
    Free Member

TJ would know, does he still use this forum?

He does, but usually just to argue black is white these days….

konabunny
    Free Member

In any case, what the legal minimum is might be irrelevant to your not wanting to burn bridges if your boss is going to take it personally anyway. s/he might consider what is reasonable notice to be something totally unreasonable…

madhouse

If you are paid monthly then my opinion would be 1 month, or possibly whatever the norm is for your line of business.

You could give less and there’s not much they can do about it, they can’t exactly sue for breach of contract if you don’t have one! They do legally have to pay you for any time worked so can’t withold pay if you don’t give as much notice as they’d like.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Redundancy after 20 years, had an interview and then 10 minutes notice, at Scumsucking Hacks Ltd…

clubber
    Free Member

SHL?

SHL – Global Leader in Talent Management

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t know for sure. Try the TUC or ACAS sites

anything useful here?
    http://www.worksmart.org.uk/rights/leaving_your_job

edit – I looked – from worksmart the TUC site

What notice of termination do I have to give if I decide to end my contract of employment?

The law states you should give a week’s notice after you have completed a month’s service. This period does not increase with service.

However, your particular contract of employment may require you to give a longer period than this legal minimum, so you should check this and your staff handbook.

konabunny
    Free Member

they can’t exactly sue for breach of contract if you don’t have one! They do legally have to pay you for any time worked

if there were no contract of employment, there’d be no work-for-pay exchange! S/he does have a contract. It’s just not written.

tails
    Free Member

I’m reasonably sure it is a week, anyway I need to write the letter tonight as I have just accepted the offer.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Congratulations on your new job.

andy7t2
    Free Member

when do you start

tails
    Free Member

Thanks I start mid September 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

woohoo!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What notice period with no contract?’ is closed to new replies.