Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • what non-race short travel full-suss frame?
  • brakes
    Free Member

following my 'what hardtail' thread, I'm also considering getting a second hand short travel (100-120mm) frame instead.
    Needs to be
    – sub 6 lbs
    – stiff snappy handling
    – not too slack (4X kind of angles)
    – suitable for a 140mm fork
    – can put up with a bit of abuse
    thinking of something like a Blur 4X
    an ideas?

druidh
    Free Member

Blur 4X?

Hairychested
    Free Member

An original Spesh SX would be perfect if only the idiots at SBC kept making them rather than extending travel year by year. Try eBay and you've a chance of getting one for 150-200 sheets.

ojom
    Free Member

You need a Yeti 4x. You can thank me for this revelation later.

Surfr
    Free Member

Not quite up to your 140mm fork requirement but orange st4?

brakes
    Free Member

the Spesh SX's are great – like them a lot, but they're a bit on the heavy side
    the subsequent SXs (not the SX Trail) would be good too but they were never imported to the UK and are like hen's teeth
    Yeti 4X is a good one, ta

GaryLake
    Free Member

Orange ST4 is 6.6lbs for an 18" I believe – absolute ripper downhill and rides light – only 120mm fork though but if you're getting a new fork it'd fly with something like a Maxle Reba and can easily hold it's own with 140mm bikes.

dicky
    Free Member

Perhaps not an obvious choice based on your requirements but I'd look at a Fuel EX. I run Pikes at 140mm on mine and it's a light, tight frame.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Might sound a bit crazy, but when was 140mm classed as short travel?

brakes
    Free Member

the ST4 was on the possibles list, I'll be using 140mm Revs which I already have so not an option really unless I can reduce the travel, which I'd probably prefer not to do

Steve_b77 – short travel at the back as opposed to the front

GaryLake
    Free Member

If you can reduce the travel on the Revs – seriously go and try an ST4 demo bike…

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Just backing up what Gary Lake + Surfr said. I've found my ST4 to be a properly engaging bike, that rides fast through the singletrack + on the descents and is surprisingly good in the air. Much prefer it to the Prophet it replaced.

nuke

Perhaps not an obvious choice based on your requirements but I'd look at a Fuel EX.

+ 1

brakes
    Free Member

hmmm, never really liked Treks, although they've brought out a few bikes recently to change my mind…

brakes
    Free Member

any more ideas from the lunchtime massive?
    I'm struggling…

Fop
    Free Member

Commencal Meta 4? (Not sure about max. fork travel though….probably wouldn't run to 140mm come to think of it).

oldgit
    Free Member

Trek EX or older Trances.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Blur LTc. You won't pick one up second hand, but they are designed around a 140 fork, 5.7lbs, and apparently stiffer than stiff thing with rigor mortis

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba XCL, 127mm travel, really tough and stiff. 68 degree HA good for most riding, ideal 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

bakes me old mate, me old cocker sparrow, old apples and pairs , frog and toad how Have we got to 140mm travel forks in a short travel post, cor blimey luvva duck.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

easily hold it's own with 140mm bikes.

Surely with only 20mm difference in travel, its got a LOT more to do with the rider than the amount of travel? I'm sure I could tell who would win a race between two ST4s, one with 140mm travel and a mincer on board and one with 120mm with a rad gnarly rider on board…

brakes
    Free Member

Chumba XCL, 127mm travel

what took you so long Si? you're normally in like Flynn

me old mate, me old cocker sparrow, old apples and pairs

you forgot 'me old china'

Have we got to 140mm travel forks in a short travel post

the back end would be short travel and I did it to avoid people suggesting 5-6" bikes, I've already got one of those

ianpv
    Free Member

An old trance would be perfect apart from the tough to meet 6lb part. Got mine with a new set of bearings and a serviced shock for £150 – bombproof, great suspension, snappy handling if you're used to bigger bikes. Can't be beaten really!

Blur 4X will get slack with a 140mm fork.

This is my old one which was a 16" and too small – it was an absolute little ripper but a bit sketchy at top speed. I've now got an 18" which isn't as big as it sounds (Other bike is a 16" patriot). It is almost as snappy as the 16, but the back doesn't try to overtake the front as much 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

An '08 Trance could fit the bill.

They made the frame much lighter for one year before scrapping it in favour of the Trance X/Anthem X.

I've got one and it's great with a 120mm fork. Lots of people like them with 140mm forks, although I must admit it wasn't any good for my local riding when I tried it.

ajr
    Free Member

Ventana El Saltamontes 4" or El Ciclon 5.5".

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I run my Blur 4X with the fork set at 160mm virtually all the time and its perfect. Certainly never had any problems with it feeling unstable etc. Felt excellent on hour long downhills in the Alps…

freeridenick
    Free Member

Older trance would fit the bill like Ianpv said.
    Meta 4x – but slack seat angle so not sure about climbing on it for any distance.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius ac or cc

glenp
    Free Member

to avoid people suggesting 5-6" bikes, I've already got one of those

140mm is in between 5 and 6 inches (125mm-150mm)? Surely you should be looking at 120mm-ish? Even that is hardly short travel. If you're thinking that a slightly longer fork travel vs rear travel makes sense it will go against your need for 4X style angles.

I think a regular 120mm trail bike with a slightly tougher build would do the trick. Bit like that Chumba. Add bolt-through fork, stiff/wide handlebars, chunky tyres… and go!

brakes
    Free Member

If you're thinking that a slightly longer fork travel vs rear travel makes sense

it does in that I don't want to buy a new fork (140mm Revs) and that I need shorter travel on the back than I currently have (150mm)
    I see what you're saying about angles though, and that's why I want to see if I can change the travel on my forks (wish I'd got U-turn now)

I'll have a hunt for a Trance – that's a definite bargain opportunity

ianpv
    Free Member

Are they air revs? Should be able to space them down – 125-130 would be perfect for a trance, but 140 is ok. I've got a u-turn recon on the one I've got now and it climbs fine at 130mm, but better at 110. A mythical 2008 trance sounds perfect (mine is 2006 and pretty chunky)

It's tempting to put a pike on it as I miss the bolt through, but I'm trying to keep it a lighter build than I'd normally have.

nina
    Free Member

ST4 can take 140mm, i know, mine does.

brakes
    Free Member

you've said it now Nina
    SNAP!

nina
    Free Member

erm, i doubt it

Alex

What they all said about ST4s 🙂 I have 120 Maxle Reba's on mine. I did have U-Turn Forks but never ran them above 120 so can't comment on how it would ride.

Super capable bike. Never felt "short" of travel.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

What are you hoping to get from the shorter travel back end?
    If you looking to go more XC than AM there are plenty more options, such as SC Superlight or Marin Mount Vision. Even with a 140mm fork on the front they will probably still have a steeper head angle than your current 6" bike. Depends whether you can live with the 'uncool' label, but i reckon they would be a lot cheaper than a ST4. Depends how much abuse are you talking?

brakes
    Free Member

shorter travel back end means less suspension to wallow in up hills and round corners
    it'll mostly be pretty tame, but if there's a 10' double on the trail or a 4' drop, I don't want to go round it through fear of breaking the bike

tracknicko
    Free Member

trance trance trance! on my 3rd now. currently have 150mm forks and they are officially too long. pegging them back to 130.

fine on the downs, but the damn thing wont go round hairpins and wheelies up anything more slopey than a carpark with the forks like this.

great bikes, had them for 3 years or so now.

glenp
    Free Member

Well all mountain bikes are designed to withstand being ridden off road. As long as you're not a slammer-into-the-decker almost any bike won't break. Still think you're describing a normal trail bike. Probably cheaper to buy a complete bike and sell your SH fork.

That's all bikes that are mountain bikes, not All-Mountain bikes.

brakes
    Free Member

I've never broken a frame, so either I'm pretty smooth or I don't keep them long enough!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘what non-race short travel full-suss frame?’ is closed to new replies.