Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What non ass numbing saddle?
  • spidersexual
    Free Member

Regretting buying a sdg fly ti as it’s clearly built to take my ass.

Having bought an sdg bel air for the full suss, that’s not far better, maybe more numbing at times.

Is it a case of different brands offer different padding?

I need something that’ll compliment a carbon rigid 29er and should be cromo railed I guess.
    What have people found acceptable in terms of comfort without having to go down the Halfords gel saddle cover like my wimp ass dad.

Northwind

It’s as much about fit as padding IMO- I use Charge Knives, they’re very lightly padded but the hull is perfectly Northwind-ass-shaped so they’re the most comfortable I’ve used, even though they probably shouldn’t. Heavily padded saddles can fail to support- sort of like sitting on a beanbag, the saddle squishes away from you were it should hold you up.

Cromo rails aren’t neccesarily forgiving- that’s about lots of things, how the rails are made, how long they are, what the rest of hte hull is like. I’ve not been able to second-guess it, maybe there’s a way though.

mikey74
    Free Member

I swear by Selle Italia 1990s Original Flites.

nammynake
    Free Member

More padding generally does not mean more comfort, in fact the opposite. Minimal padding with a decent pair of padded shorts is the better solution.

Standard answer is Charge Spoon, but everyone’s arse is different and there isn’t a default saddle that will suit everyone.

spidersexual
    Free Member

True point, as for cromo vs ti , I was grtting at the cost point.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I tend to find the longer and more riding I do the less it hurts. The only thing that bothers me now is the angle it makes my legs work at with some mens saddles rather than it hurting my arse.

Northwind

spidersexual – Member

as for cromo vs ti , I was grtting at the cost point.

Ah. Oh. Yeah, fair point! There’s well priced ti-railed saddles, Knives and Ragleys and such but yeah.

Nobby

The best thing to do is to measure your sit bones – either in your LBS on their assometer or at home with some thick corrugated cardboard & a ruler – then look for the correct width/fit.

Bonty/Spesh dealers will have the requisite assometer.

devash
    Free Member

More padding generally does not mean more comfort, in fact the opposite. Minimal padding with a decent pair of padded shorts is the better solution.

This.

I swear by the SDG Bel Air saddled. I now have a Cro-Mo one on the full sus and it has transformed long rides for me.

I always ride in either a pair of Endura Humvee of Altura Mayhem shorts with padded inners. Feels weird riding it just in normal shorts.

binners

I also hate SDG Saddles! I’ve had two and they were both bloody awful, and didn’t last long

I found WTB Rocket V’s have more padding than most, and are really comfy for my amply padded derrière. I’ve had a Charge Spoon on the hard tail for about a year, and that’s great too, though much sparser on the padding

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bel Air Ti, old skool Ritchey WCS ti and a Spoon are the only saddles that have ever worked with my butt cheeks.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Best Ive found for my shape is a WTB silverado, hardly any padding but it’s flat and anything curved (like a Charge spoon, SDG etc) is like being tortured for me. Worth buying a few cheap SH saddles in different shapes until you find the right one then invest in a better model of that type.

adsh
    Free Member

Fizik gobi kium for me. Tried the cromo version and found it worse.

matther01
    Free Member

Fizik Aliante Gamma XM…best saddle ive ever had. Bought a charge scoop recently for another bike and not impressed so far.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only one is the one that fits your arse. Unless your arse is the same as anyone who has suggested something it’s probably of worth buying on their suggestions.

kcal

For MTB – Prologo Vertigo Max — LBS had them on trial, no quibble return, used it for first time on Tour de Ben Nevis, bought on the spot.

unovolo
    Free Member

I tried a Charge spoon after all the positive reviews and all though not uncomfortable its not a patch on the Selle Italia turbo I have on my Road bike or the Charge Pan I have on my mutant CX bike.
    I have come to the conclusion that my arris suits more rounded saddles with no flared edges.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ive been through a few but finally settled the Race Face atlas with Ti rails. looks good too.

mav12
    Free Member

I tried a charge spoon but didn’t get on with it at all got a brooks now and it’s getting better with every ride also got a spa cycles brooks lookalike but it hard as wood

spidersexual
    Free Member

Wtb, “what the bell end” i am for forgetting them, I had one or two back in around 2000ish and found them comfy.

Wonders off to the wtb website to choose.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What non ass numbing saddle?’ is closed to new replies.