Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • What niggling injuries are you carrying…
  • big_scot_nanny

and are you doing anything about them?

I’ve had a sore left ankle for ages, gets really agrevated by skiing, but goes away at end of ski season.

Main concern is my right shoulder. Never dislocated or done anything obvious to it, but for the last 3 years it has been getting increasingly sore. I can press on the point where it hurts, kind of on the top on a bony bit, the pain comes and goes but when you get a pain ‘stab’ it normally means dropping what i am holding. Sorry kids! 😕 Of course, it is worse after a big ride.

Question is: what are you carrying? Are you going to do anything about it? Should I MTFU and get on with things? 😆

Had an op on my leg earlier last year, and don’t want a long outage again. Physio?

Kev

brakes
    Free Member

I read the title as ‘jiggling nurses’
    maybe I need to lie down

epo-aholic
    Free Member

……tight left hamstring after about 20 miles….

akira

Bad knee that sometimes gives way after an unfortunate dancing incident years ago at a party, think that’s about it.

marka.
    Free Member

Two knackered ankles. I haven’t been on the MTB for a month and I’ve put flats on my commuter to try and give my ankles as much of a rest as possible. It’s annoying.

Amos
    Free Member

Broke both my wrists riding 18 months ago. Both ache like Billy o in the cold and the next day after riding.

senorj

ingrown toenail. 😕

frightened to get it chopped away.

ourmaninthenorth

Pain (damaged cartilage, I think) in left shoulder. Just realised today it’s been niggling for 20 years.

Instep of right foot. Recent addition – really painful when I first get up.

Hamstring/ITB/knee pain in left leg that comes on in first 20 mins of riding. Makes me want to cry with pain. Prob should sort this one out.

jedi

i cant straighten my arm without serious pain in my elbow 🙂

nickname
    Free Member

sore nuts, for the last 5 months, doctors not sure why 🙁

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dislocated my shoulder racing cx,damn trees,in november.Hav’nt bothered doing anything about but it has a big pronounced bump and sporadically hurts like buggery.Had knee surgery last summer and then did the 3 peaks cx 5 weeks later,its fine riding now but I struggle walking to the shops and back!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Permanently damaged shoulder. Did in in 2003. Can no longer throw a stone. Can’t reach hand into rear jersey pocket. Can just about lift arm high enough to scratch top of head. If I think about it it gives pain/discomfort most of the time, but my brain has learned to switch off from it. Gets increasingly sore on the road after a couple of hours. It drives me mad, and I believe it has aged me. Not a lot I can do about it.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Arthritis in my spine & chest

Right shoulder always aches (possibly related to my Arthritis)

Painkillers & anti inflammatories twice daily, nothing else can be done apart from MTFU

stratobiker
    Free Member

We could all have a big group hug…..but it would hurt too much eh? 😉

ton

got a very niggly **** pain in the arse thing going on with my ticker……………………..
    but i am seeing the consultant at LGI tomorrow, so hopefully i will get a date for a reboot.

also got a painfull bursitis lump on my left knee, which i have to move once i start pedaling.

also got a tick bite on my left calf which flares up now and agin, which i need to see the doc about.

and my fused right wrist hurts when i ride bikes without ergon type grips

and………………………. 8)

dobo
    Free Member

one of my knees is quite painful when i cross my ankle over the opposite leg thigh.
    Think the pain is from an injury i got playing football, then possibly made worse from cycling.
    I can still run and cycle without pain though but curlying up on the couch with legs underneath is too painfull and often just aches..
    my dilemma is should i stop all exercise and get unfit for 3 months to see if it heals or accept the fact it will never be pain free again and hope i wont need a walking stick when im old…

catfood
    Free Member

Tennis elbow in me right arm, left foot still gives me a bit of gyp after having a couple of ops on it last year, twingy back, trapped nerve I think.

Haze

Rolled my ankle running downhill earlier.

It’s the one that clicks a lot so will probably be sore again in the morning.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nothing wrong here.

As for the OPs shoulder – go get it sorted. Could potentially be serious – best go see the GP.

Ankles – strengthen the buggers and learn a bit of balance,

Hamstring dude – strengthen your quad on that side.

Tennis elbow dude get your back sorted out and your elbow will probably sort itself out too.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Achey/clicky back and left shoulder which I can make a bit better by going to the gym and excercising on the pull downy stretchy backy abs thingy (lateral pull downs). I should probably go to the doc.

Wookster

Tweak in my groin, all from a swerve to avoid a woman falling off her bike on a climb after she stalled bless her 🙄 achillies injury ok on bike can barely walk after…. Still that’s what pain killers are for!

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for the sore nut brigade!

Also have a knackered hand from early last summer. Hospital said it was ‘fine’ – still can’t grip stuff properly. Doctor ****ts.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Broke my clavacle last April and still get aches and pains especially after a long ride, much worse if it involves pushing and lifting the bike up and over fences, gates or styls, had a tough recce ride on Saturday and its still sore.

sweepy
    Free Member

Right ankle shagged from a wakeboarding accident about 16 years ago, right shoulder ropey from kayaking. Yoga and swimming keeps me mobile.

epicyclo

I’m on medication with the side effect of fatigue/tiredness.

Adds an extra dimension to doing a 24 hour solo race 🙂

iainc

perma achy hypermobile knees – usually ok for riding but left one is in a bad place right now, so not ridden much in last 10 dyas and only swam once – vicious circle though so need to MTFU and get out there

Pete
    Free Member

Achilles tendinitis for about 6 months now..

big_scot_nanny

It would be interesting to attach ages to this lot, as I feel that at 36 some of the past is starting to catch up with me! 😀 My biggest and best injury gives me no bother now, which was a broken neck in a scrum collapse as a teen. Not even got a good scar to show people. 🙁 😉

As for mr zulus, yes, I prob should at least go and see what he says, and for the rest of you, thanks for posting as it makes me feel a bit better that having a wee niggle or 2 is at least partially normal-ish 😆

Do any of you think we’re going to be zimmer/wheelchair bound retiree’s, unable to walk 20yds to the shops? That’s what is at the back of my mind. 😯

Kev

sefton
    Free Member

patella tendonitis (9months) due to fell running

mtb’ings the next best thing 😛

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve got shoulder/ back issues caused by whiplash from when i got rear ended off the bike in november. I thought it was almost sorted – slowly got back into commuting after the new year but it has flared right back up again and i’m struggling to cook my dinner without pain now!

Do any of you think we’re going to be zimmer/wheelchair bound retiree’s, unable to walk 20yds to the shops? That’s what is at the back of my mind.

i wonder that everytime i’m sore sore from a big ride that i can’t walk properly.

then i look at some of my relatives who are so fat they struggle to get in the car to drive to the shops

i know which one i’d rather be.

Haze

Ankles – strengthen the buggers and learn a bit of balance

Nothing wrong with my sense of balance thanks, it’s more about running down muddy banks in the near dark.

Dodgy ankle is after several breaks from my skateboarding days!

Davesport

Apart from a knee injury that thankfully appears to be getting better, golfers & tennis elbow both sides. It bloody smarts I tell ya. Anyone know of a cure ?

huws
    Free Member

My left shoulder is about 20mm inboard of where it should be with a very lumpy and overlapped collar bone and 3 overlapped ribs that crunch and grate when my shoulder blade moves over the top of them. Not particularly painful or debilitating but quite annoying.

iainc

sefton – Member
    patella tendonitis (9months) due to fell running

out of interest, how do the symptoms manifest themselves and what do you do, stretching/strengthening for this ? …I might get some tips for my knackered knees

LoCo
    Free Member

Scoliosis which contributes to Sciatica, from being throw from a horse.
    nigly right wrist from breaking both bones and dislocating wrist joint a fair way up my forearm, playing rugby.
    and nerve damage in my neck from surgery which cut halfway through the muscle in my neck.

At 33 I feel a bit older some mornings 😀

portlyone

andyl – Member
    +1 for the sore nut brigade!
    Also have a knackered hand from early last summer. Hospital said it was ‘fine’ – still can’t grip stuff properly. Doctor ****ts.

😆

(apologies if it they weren’t related/wasn’t meant to be funny)

sh1tforbrains
    Free Member

Not an injury as such, but it’s a rather persistant itchy rash in the helmet area. Probably as a product of a rather unfortunate encounter with my next door neighbour’s daughter. 😳

It gets exacerbated by riding due the additional chaffing action. 😕

big_scot_nanny

sh1tforbrains – Member

Not an injury as such, but it’s a rather persistant itchy rash in the helmet area. Probably as a product of a rather unfortunate encounter with my next door neighbour’s daughter.

It gets exacerbated by riding due the additional chaffing action.

some might say that is only fair 😆

sh1tforbrains
    Free Member

Ooh that’s harsh!

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    Pain (damaged cartilage, I think) in left shoulder. Just realised today it’s been niggling for 20 years.

Instep of right foot. Recent addition – really painful when I first get up.

——————————-

Careful mate, this is how mine started. it is called Plantar Fascitis and is the ligament that creates the arch of your foot. Can stem from tight calves etc as the muscles joint the ligament. Always worse in am when not stretched. Mine was like thsi then I played a game of rugby (a one-off memorial game, 7 years after I broke my neck playing) and tore this liament off my heel. That was November, still hurst to walk on, very little riding since, wearing a boot to sleep and inserts in my shoes to correct. The operation to correct is slicing into your calve to free the muscle…..

Answer, try stretching the ligament gently by putting an ice cold can of coke on the floor and rolling your foot over it to stretch the arch.

Promise you it will be better. Wish I had before I snapped it then I would not be in such a mess.

Apparently cycling can cause the tightness if not released / stretched out.

Learned the hard way.

PS – severe nerve damange (shooting pains) down my right arm when straight is the worse injury I am carring since breaking my neck in a collapsed scrum in 2002. I am 36 now!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What niggling injuries are you carrying…’ is closed to new replies.