Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • What newspaper and why?
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

As per title, which newspaper do you read and why? I myself am reading the independent, but I’m not sold on it, so wondering what else is worth a read.
    What political bias if any, does each one have?

The Daily Mail looks like a fairly reasonable, inoffensive alternative. 😆

EDIT: For all you newspaper haters – which website do you find to be good?

steveoath
    Free Member

None, most of them are crap.

seadog101

i – The Independent without too much of the crap that I wouldn’t be reading anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what are newspapers?

I generally read a selection of stuff via the internet covering all bases except the mail and paywall papers (Times/Telegraph/Sun)

throw in the rest of the world news gatherers it works for me, we also don’t have a fire to light so don’t really need the paper

brakes
    Free Member

Viz

Private Eye.

loddrik
    Free Member

Newspapers!!! 😆

Don’t forget to close the privy door…

binners

The Guardian. Because I absolutely despise the Tories with every fibre of my being, and I like my news reporting to reflect that

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

The Mail as it’s not full of all that left wing rubbish.

convert

Guardian here too.

My father spent his life reading either the Times or the Telegraph because he earnestly believed everyone should read a paper that challenges your beliefs rather than just confirms them. Hence natural Daily mail readers are made even less intolerant by continuing to read the Daily Mail. It’s a tactic I’ve always respected but never had the patience for personally.

Murray

Whatever free rag is around if my boots are wet.

lunge

convert, I like that approach you know.

Me, The Metro as it is free on the train, though I’m not sure that counts as a real newspaper, more a free comic. If I ever buy a paper it’ll be i generally, I think the Guardian and the Telegraph (plus many others) are as bad as each other.

jonba
    Free Member

Guardian because it is free although the left wing bias and Tory bashing gets tedious. Get some articles from the telegraph, Google,BBC, Newcastle chronicle and stw.

andycs

Dewsbury Reporter if I happen to be in the pub on a Friday.

DavidB
    Free Member

The Times – always read papers that challenge your politics rather than reinforce them

Garry_Lager

The Guardian (website plus I’ll buy it at the weekend) – force of habit really although the sports coverage is excellent. NW roots make it the best football paper by a mile – Andy Hunter knows the score. Good cryptic crossword, although that’s balanced by the unacceptable absence of a bridge column.

Don’t mind Toynbee-style leftist articles as that is the heritage of the paper. It’s disappointing to see a cabbage like George Monbiot, however, given a voice in a serious newspaper.

It’s clearly trying to position itself as the global left-wing news organisation – loads of US and Australian stuff on their website over the past year. They squeezed every last drop out of the Snowdon stuff, ran it to death on a daily basis. Can’t argue with their recent track record though, broke some massive stories. Alan Rusbridger closed down the News of the World almost single-handedly.

hot_fiat

None. I despise the fact that people can present the news with any political bias. That and the fact the information us about twelve hours out of date. BBC website is tolerable, but even that is obsessed with certain themes.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

i
    There’s free papers at work, either i, Daily Mail or the FT so I go for the only normal one!

jekkyl

I like to read the sun actually while I munch a sandwich, I treat it more as a sort of comic though rather than serious journalism.

Flaperon

The Telegraph (iPad edition).

Why? Because I’ve continued to receive it for free eight months after the free trial ended.

CaptainSlow

The Week.

Provides a good spread and opinion from rags around the world. Helps avoid a left or right bias and provides variety in the analysis and opinion.

Edit – and I don’t have the time to read a news paper daily. I read it over the course of a week and also get news daily from the web

grum
    Free Member

RSS feeds from most of the free online papers via feedly. I tend to read the Guardian more though I think their journalistic standards have slipped considerably and there’s a lot more Daily Mail (but for lefties) style pseudo-trolling editorials.

I get the Mail’s RSS feeds too though and it really is a despicable cesspit.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Guardian on a Saturday for the typos, idiot’s crossword, tv guide and Tim Dowling
    Telegraph for Matt

mogrim

Used to read the Guardian and the Telegraph online, sadly the Telegraph’s now hidden behind a paywall.

But mostly it’s BBC News and Hacker News.

Any good news aggregators that people use (like Hacker News)?

SaxonRider

I’m with CaptainSlow. I quite like The Week, in the same way I like Euronews on TV.

I just want to be told what’s happening, without any editorial commentary.

martinhutch

Used to read the Guardian and the Telegraph online, sadly the Telegraph’s now hidden behind a paywall.

Use a proxy. eg

http://www.hidemyass.com

Just type in the front page address then carry on as normal.

gwaelod
    Free Member

find a few bloggers who write on topics you are interested in, and follow the world through that lens. You will be far better informed.

newspapers and increasingly broadcasters are sources of disinformation, not information.

convert

I just want to be told what’s happening, without any editorial commentary.

I see that as a bit naive. Even if you view the BBC as reporting events in an unbiased way, editorial commentary still takes place in deciding what stories to run, what time to give them etc etc. You can make the world seem a very different place just by making those decisions. In general though the more dumbed down you take your news, the more bias it seems to be in its simplification. It depresses me whenever I hear the Radio 1 news headlines – if that is how half the population gets its news, over simplified to the point of parody, its a sad state of affairs.

mogrim

Even if you view the BBC as reporting events in an unbiased way, editorial commentary still takes place in deciding what stories to run, what time to give them etc etc.

If you can stomach the Telegraph comments section it’s clear that at least part of the population believes the BBC is massively biased…

binners

Those very people don’t just believe that the BBC is biased. What they actually think is that its run by either Marxists, or a gay mafia, and it needs to be sold off immediately to allow more room for the kind of balanced and unbiased reporting so nobly demonstrated by Fox News in America

CaptJon
    Free Member

FT for political and economic news.

mogrim

Those very people don’t just believe that the BBC is biased. What they actually think is that its run by either Marxists, or a gay mafia, and it needs to be sold off immediately to allow more room for the kind of balanced and unbiased reporting so nobly demonstrated by Fox News in America

They might be right about the marxist gay mafia bit, though 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

convert – Member
    Even if you view the BBC as reporting events in an unbiased way, editorial commentary still takes place in deciding what stories to run, what time to give them etc etc. You can make the world seem a very different place just by making those decisions.

Indeed. As the lack of coverage of 50k people protesting in Manchester over the weekend shows. What really narks me about BBC news is the political process stories (Nick Robinson – we get it, you’ve got lots of mates in Parliament who tell you what is going on, but we don’t care, analyse the policy!) and pre-briefing (when you’re given half a story by the government they do that because they know you can’t properly analyse it without knowing the full details, stop letting them do that, wait for the full announcement).

cheekyboy
    Free Member

The BBC is blatantly biased, its biased because it is staffed mainly with left leaning liberal folk, thats because leftie libs are far more creative and are therefore drawn to such an organisation, if it was the other way around then it would be really rubbish !
    I am not a leftie liberal but I do acknowledge the fact that they are generally more artistically creative with regard to televisual production.the news and current event programmes are nearly all left leaning, if you cannot see this then its probably because you are a leftie liberal yourself.
    If you are not a leftie liberal and get annoyed at the BBCs bias then you need to get a life once you get your life learn to think………….. or get out on your bike more

binners

chakaping
    Free Member

Those very people don’t just believe that the BBC is biased.

It certainly is biased.

In favour of Israel.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

FT
    Daily Mash
    Register
    Al Jazeera

Don’t read any paper news these days.

@CaptJon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-24286582

binners

Ah yes, I forgot that bit… its run by a zionist, Marxist gay mafia 😀

ransos
    Free Member

The BBC is blatantly biased, its biased because it is staffed mainly with left leaning liberal folk

Its chief political editor is a conservative.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘What newspaper and why?’ is closed to new replies.