Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What new TV?
  • PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

My old CRT is about to bite the dust (screen flickers strange colours) and so it is about time to get a new one. I don’t know a lot about tv’s and don’t really know what to go for. I was thinking of a 1080p LED TV around the 700 mark. Does anyone have any recommendations or is there anything to avoid? Looking at reviews, they all seem to have as many advantages as disadvantages so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My only piece of advice here is, as ever with buying a new TV, go to John Lewis.

earl_brutus

get another CRT off ebay for £peanuts, spend the 700 on bikes!

donsimon
    Free Member

Samsung are considered to be market leaders.

Bregante

By Samsung?

gusamc
    Free Member

John Lewis and Richer Sounds do 5 yr gtees
    costco do odd deals also with 5 yr gtee

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Recently bought a Samsung LE40C530 for £400 and it does everything I need it too. Picture looks great on both sky and xbox.
    I was dubious about the quality considering my previous TV was a £1600 Panasonic, but glad I plumped for the Samsung 🙂

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

BTW, if you buy from Tesco, at the moment you’ll get a free Samsung blu ray player (I didn’t as I bought mine some months back).

_tom_
    Free Member

Our Panasonic LED was about that price. Picture way nicer than anything else in the shop (Sonys, Samsung etc). Band of Brothers bluray looks incredible on it 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

I got a 40″ Toshiba Regza the other day(cheapest I’ve seen it is £319 online, dearest £480), delighted with it, picture is cracking, sound is a bit dodgy mind, but I’ll be hooking up some sort of amp and speakers to it, so that’s redundant…plus you could buy a pretty fantastic sound system for the other 380 quid.

Mind you I’m getting it for buttons so I’m not complaining either way(it was a gift to my Da that he didn’t need, I just need to buy him a wee 150 quid tele in return for it, happy days!).

Decent screen once you set up the user setting, out the box with the presets it’s very dark.. not tried blue rays on it yet, but SD upscales very well on it, and the Playstation thru HDMI is just sensational, it’s got loads of ports on it.

Btw the built in freeview isn’t HD, probably something else you might want to take into account if you’ve not got HD sky or vigin. Or a wee HD box you can download to! 😉

From a 28″ CRT it’s an upgrade and a half!

joolsburger
    Free Member
    KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sony + John Lewis = Win

Conqueror
    Free Member

Get this and save thy money for something else

Samsung LE32C530 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 50Hz LCD TV

£269.95 + free del @ Amazon UK

In our input lag and subjective gaming tests, the Samsung LE32C530 performed unbelievably well, lagging by only 14ms! Needless to say, this figure makes input lag completely irrelevant on this LCD TV, making it one of the best we’ve ever seen for fast, fluid gaming enjoyment.

The Samsung LE32C530 is a bargain in just about anyone’s eyes. It can be had from many online stores – including Multizone AV who has kindly supplied our review sample – for approximately £320, and in-depth testing has revealed that there’s more to be had for the money than we initially hoped for. We can’t think of any comparable displays at this end of the market and highly recommend this display to users who are happy to tolerate the viewing angle and motion limitations of LCD TVs. While it is not the equal of every other HDTV that we’ve rated “Highly Recommended”, the Samsung LE32C530 offers outstanding value for money that earns it a spot in this category.

Samsung LE32C530 Review

GJP
    Free Member

I would normally go with the John Lewis brigade, but both Sony and Panasonic now offer 5 year guarantees through their own stores.

There are some very good deals at my local Sony store, when you take into account the £300 off for any old TV (e.g. 40in LED 3D jobbie for £699).

Old models on the way out and new ones on the way in at the moment so some very good deals to be had if you are happy with last season’s model.

andy7t2
    Free Member

got our sony from curry’s same price as john lewis with a 5 yr guarantee and accident cover

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    Samsung are considered to be market leaders.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Nonsense. They are fine but not the best.

Try a few in your local Comet and choose the one whose picture YOU prefer (but buy it off t’interweb).

And as said above – lots of 5 yr guarantees now. I bought my Panasonic 2 years ago when they first did the 5 yr offer. Normally I go for Sony but the Panasonic was a far superior set IMO)

totalshell

john lewis and samsung 42 inch led 599 inc 5yr warranty … was as much as 799 elsewhere plus 139 for warranty.. JL will genuinely be the cheapest, chap in the shop guaranteed it to me.. got home and checked the net murdered everybody elses price.. nice telly to.

mrchrispy

Samsunf LEDs are mint

donsimon
    Free Member

Nonsense. They are fine but not the best.

How on earth can you say that without knowing who considers them to be the market leader?
    Just looking at this thread would possibly hint at their popularity. And I was told only yesterday evening by an industry insider that Samsung was the best in the market. 🙄

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sony make very good tv’s.

This was true when they were all trinatrons – now they make some good tvs and some duff ones. When I bought my Sony there was 40inch of the same range and the ghosting on it was shocking – it wasn’t of saleable quality imho.

Plus their colors seem to be off-balance – I only bought mine because some reviewer on the web had calibrated one and made the service menu adjustments needed public.

I hate the glossy screen coatings on the Samsungs plus their picture processing seems to me to be unsubtle.

I would get a Panasonic from John Lewis.

maxray
    Free Member

We got a Sony 32″ LED Bravia, very very happy with it, excellent picture quality and sound. Chose it because it had a really thin surround mainly, I do have the really big thick black frames. 🙂

Daffy

Without doubt the best TV about at the moment are the Samsung 8000 D series Ultra LED TVs.

The quality has finally surpassed the Pioneer Kuro plasmas.

Saw them all demonstrated at the Gadget show live and the 8000 was soo far ahead of the other TVs you could see the difference from 100ft away.

thebunk

Have a look at HotdealsUK – lots of deals and vouchers.

Dixons and PC world have got some good deals on at the moment.
    LG HD ultraslim LED 42″ £399 (also at Richer sounds for £379 if they still have stock).

Use the John Lewis price match if you want the JL warranty.

donsimon
    Free Member

Without doubt the best TV about at the moment are the Samsung 8000 D series Ultra LED TVs.

And better than the 9000 series.

freddyg
    Free Member

What size do you want and what is your budget?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Don’t forget that when they demo these tvs they put decent HD program through them.

Watching SD and 720p HD from sky or Virgin will be a different experience – (depending on viewing distance) I would rather have a 720P screen to avoid having the TV doing too much processing on the picture.

DaveRambo

We just had our Sony TV replaced under warranty.

I decided against buying online and am glad I as it gives peace of mind and someone to sort out any problems.

TV was 2 years old and as there were delays in spare parts, Sony offered a replacement – a KDL40EX503 – cost would have been about £700.

It’s a flipping good set, great picture, internet connectivity, pretty fast menus etc.

Highly recommended – from a local Sony centre.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What new TV?’ is closed to new replies.