Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What new hardtail frame?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve got some unexpected money coming in and fancy treating myself. I have a 26” Blue Pig X which I love but is due for replacement so I think a new frame is in order.

I like the look of the Stanton Switchback but it is a lot more than anything else, apart from that I’m considering
    Orange P7
    Blue pig
    Bfe

Has to be 650b as I have forks and tyres ready for it, ideally steel and more enduro than XC, my mates all ride their full sussers all the time so I need to be able to keep up!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cotic Cotic Cotic Cotic (other brands are available) 😆

iainc

I’d be hanging off a few weeks for the updated Soul….

chrishc777
    Free Member

I do already have a Cotic X…

Stif Morf is the other option, essentially the evolution of my Bluepig

kayak23

Production Privee Shan….as I always say.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZVBGQ4]Steel is Real demo day, Forest of Dean, October 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

chrishc777
    Free Member

Been to the shop and I think it’s Morf, Privee or BFE. Pretty stuck though, someone decide for me! Like the looks of all but the butting and clever touches on the Morf I like whilst the 853 on the BFE is attractive…

What’s mud clearance like on the Shan and BFE?

volksman
    Free Member

Are you anywhere near the FoD if you were i have a Bfe and a gen 2 switchback you are welcome to have a look although the switchback has more mud clearance than the Bfe.

christof
    Free Member

I’ve got a Onza Jackpot and absolutely love it! Running 160mm on it and have sold my full suss!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers volksman, I’m not close but do go that way occasionally

Just another picture of a Shan for your perusal – 26″ flavour though…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GqSz4a]DSC00039[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

chrishc777
    Free Member

If they still did that colour that pic might have convinced me! Press fit BB not attracting me though…

New BFE in blue looks tasty

batman11
    Free Member

Check out the Pipedream Moxie it’s proper amazballs looking
    http://www.pipedreamcycles.com/shop/moxie-enduro/

strugglinon
    Free Member

Just got myself a Bird Zero TR.
    Absolutely bloody marvellous.

kayak23

chrishc777 – Member
    If they still did that colour that pic might have convinced me! Press fit BB not attracting me though…

New BFE in blue looks tasty

Everyone is put off by the press fit bb. I was too, but went with it.. Over a year later on a cheapo Deore bb in all weathers and not a single issue.

The new BFE is beautiful for sure. Saw it in the flesh at Steel is Real the other week.

For me though, nothing has come close to the ride feel I’ve had from the two Production Privee frames I own (Shan and Oka)
    Just amazing riding frames.

iainc

I’d still be hanging off for the new Soul…l

chestrockwell

Love my P7, it’s huge fun.

godzilla
    Free Member

P7 £1114 for a full bike!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I just bought a Soul.

I currently have no soul.

iainc

I have a Soul

I want a new Soul

jupiter
    Free Member

What is the new Soul going to be like, any info? Will there be a new Solaris?

iainc

Rumours suggest it may pop up later this month and be along the lines of the new BFE, so a bit longer, slacker than the old one, but lighter and a bit more xc than the BFE…

spev

Bfe, loved mine at bpw last week, does everything my nukeproof mega did but more fun

bruneep

Stanton switchback I’m just loving mine bought in July never off it at the moment.
    The 16.5 long geometry is just right.

Wasn’t sure about this colour scheme – wanted orange/black, but when I got it, I really liked it – goes well with the white forks.

Frame cost me £250 off PB and I put on a load of bits I already had and a few new bits.

Press fit BB – just took it to LBS and will only worry about it when it needs changing

brickwall
    Free Member

Pipedream Moxie…. My next hardtail. I do have a Kona Honzo ST, which I also love

justinamrdr
    Free Member

As it happens, I was at the FoD steel is real demo the other day and got to try a Morf, a new BFe, a titanium switchback and an onza jackpot. The geo on the Stanton didnt feel right for me, not as fun as the others. The cotic and the onza were both great fun but the morf was what did it for me. It has shorter forks and you do feel a little bit more over the front on descents but that just encourages you to sit back more. Still just as capable as the others. It is noticeably lighter than the bfe, more fun than the Stanton and a better build than the onza. Oh and the bfe has already sold out in medium blue frames!
    So I bought a morf – it’s arriving today!
    Ps bfe can take up to 2.6 tyres I was told, morf is 2.4 I think, as you asked.

chrishc777
    Free Member

So pretty much decided on a blue BFE, only to find out they are sold out!
    Cheers Justin, direct comparison is pretty handy. I really should have gone to that demo myself but only just decided I’m getting one!

nickfrog
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rule out an aluminium frame as with a decent volume tyre and LT forks, material becomes quite irrelevant. If anything, aluminium will provide a stiffer platform for handling/steering, plus it’s lighter.

On that basis, I would consider a 2018 Commencal META HT AM. 65 deg / 74 deg = brilliant.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d be a Stanton for me.

Yes they’re expensive but they’re full Reynolds frames (853 main tubes and 525 rear), the homes gives loads of tyre clearance and I like the little details, but it wouldn’t be the Switchback, it’d be the new Slackline which is my favourite bike in the range (having owned an original 853 Slackline and theee Switchbacks).

I had a Mk II Ti Switchback which was brilliant on the fast, steep stuff and loved being jumped but it could feel like hard work on mor chilled rides or if you weren’t feeling it. I found the Slackline to still be fun on descents and drops but it was a better climber and I think the 853 tubeset was actually more comfortable than my Ti frame.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I see Stanton more as a marketing exercise, and a brilliant one at that. That’s not to detract from the quality of the product offering, it’s just that those prices… I assume they are TW made (nothing wrong with that btw).

Scamper
    Free Member

The Switchback is possibly not as low or long as some but Dan will explain why that it is not necessary in a hard tail. 64 degree or less static head angle though for the car park win.

The Slackline must be a lovely trail bike

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a 2012 26” BFe and since getting it its my main bike ridden 90% of the time. Covert just for holidays now really. I am a fully signed up Cotic fan and any next bike will be Cotic (Solaris or Escapade) as I really like the bikes and the company.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I do really like the Stanton’s but it’s just a lot more money, and the BFE has plenty of nice touches, 853, oval top tube etc and in my opinion the best paint job out there, for alot less money.

Pipedream moxie looks good, very progressive geo with shortest stays I’ve come across but despite what their website says a 16.5” bike is going to be too small for me at 6’2”, probably perfect for DH but I’ll be doing long rides as well.

Curious about the new Soul, I think I’ll wait for the BFE in Feb as I can’t ride till January due to a shoulder op, and I’ll be on holiday most of Jan anyway. In the meantime if the new Soul takes my fancy I’ll consider that

justinamrdr
    Free Member

Yeah cotic are a great brand and great company, excellent customer relations, nice meeting them at the FoD. It wasa tough call not to go for a bfe!

coomber
    Free Member

Stanton make some cracking looking bikes and have feverish fanboys who seem convinced they are the best regardless of what anyone else makes. Would still like to try one though.

I still think the new pace r127s look better as do the stif Morf. For the price and geometry the p7 looks best value for money to me.

batman11
    Free Member

Both the moxie frame sizes come witha16.5 seat tube the idea being you can run a longr dropper post in it for when you are going downhill.
    but the seat angle is pretty steep at 76.5 to really optermize climbing etc.
    Im 6.3 and have gone for the longer one but to be fair I could have gone with either as the hardtail I ride now has a reach or 460 and the last couple I’ve tryed have been 470+ with no issues.
    So for me it’s about seeing what a really long set up would be like with something like a 35mm stem fitted etc.
    Also I loved the look of it in pink lol

chiefgrooveguru

despite what their website says a 16.5” bike is going to be too small for me at 6’2”

If you were 6’5″+ I’d agree. But a 170mm Reverb is 480mm long – I’m on a 16.9″ frame with 33″ legs and absolutely tons of post still in the frame, enough for a good 4″ more leg length.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yes, should have added that I don’t want to fork out 200 quid for a dropped as well! With a 170 it would work in sure.

Just noticed it’s a 29er anyway so no good. Not because I don’t want a 29er, just because then just buying a new frame becomes new frame, new forks, new tyres, new dropper, new wheels.

batman11
    Free Member

I Think we just mean it can take a 170 dropper.
    It is deigned to take 27.5,27.5 plus so 2.4 to 2.8 tyres and 29er wheels hence the adjustable drop out system so you can tune it around the rear wheels etc.

chrishc777
    Free Member

That’s interesting. I’ll go measure my crank to saddle height and dropper length and min insertion tomorrow.

Cheers!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What new hardtail frame?’ is closed to new replies.