Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What new F/S 120mm?
  • Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Hi all,looking for a new bike F/S 120mm 650b or 26″.
    The current fleet consists of a 2005 Giant NRS 100mm F/S & a 2005 Specialized Enduro.The Enduro hasn’t been used for years as it’s great in the Alps but a bit OTT for Rivi or the Dales.I’m always out on the NRS but it’s getting a bit tired..I’m looking for something with a bit more travel & a slacker head angle would be a bonus,the NRS is a bit ‘twitchy’.
    Looking around at the £1000ish mark the two bikes that have caught my eye are the Boardman F/S & the soon to arrive Giant Stance,anything else the massive would recommend for general trail duties? I don’t need more travel than 130mm as I can dust of the Enduro

wolfenstein
    Free Member

ASRc of course, what else?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Good as they are that’s more than I plan on spending!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Canyon nerve al 6.Little bit more money for an excellent bike.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Thanks, that Canyon ticks all the boxes,I’ll add it to the list

j40aja
    Free Member

Does it need to be new?

I’m thinking of selling my heavily upgraded Canyon Nerve xc8.0.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Perhaps have at look at Pauls Cycles or Winstanleys for any bargains.I wonder if you can wait a day or two whether there might be the odd sale put on.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Good reviews about the GT Helios?At least I think that’s its name.Not sure about the price though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you tried a 29er? Love mine for the sort of riding you describe.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Yes I’m aware of Paulscycles,I bought the NRS from them, & Winstanleys is down the road from me but I haven’t seen what I’m looking for there.
    It doesn’t have to be new,but if I go used I think I’ll get a old (07 ish) Stumpjumper & rebuild it.
    The 29ers don’t appeal because A) I’m only 5’6 & B)I’m happy with 26″ so going to 650b is as big wheeled as I want to go

devash
    Free Member

2012 Camber Expert frame? Bolt-thru rear, tapered headtube, M5 alloy so nice and light, slackish and long geometry?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Thanks Devash,those 2012 Cambers are the type of spec I’m looking for,I was looking on Ebay the other week.I’ll have another look..

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Also,check out decathlon.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega TR? Very impressed with mine

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Don’t write off 29ers til you try them.
    You might not like them, but at least you’ll know

mikertroid
    Free Member

The 07 Stumpy I had wasn’t comparable to today’s slacker HA bikes; you were much further forward on that bike than new short-chain stayed bikes.

This coupled with a lack of talent resulted in a couple of nasty crashes one smashing my shoulder up

I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole now; you’d be better off on a decent 29er HT Like the Whyte 901.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

The Nukeproof looks good but has more travel than I’m looking for
    Thanks for pointing that out regarding the Stumpy geometry, I don’t want to go back to a hardtail.I like them & like the simplicity of them compared to F/S but a lot of the stuff I ride is ‘bumpy’,I notice the difference when we go to trail centres,& I used to feel it in my back on my old hardtail.
    I must admit I’ve not yet tried a 29er,but that’s because 29er’s just don’t do it for me..

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got an ’10 Five Pro and a couple of HTs, one a 29er. In all honesty I’m riding my 29er as hard as my Five, maybe with a little less airtime. I’d be happy to with some better wheels. I’m amazed at the smoothing effect of 29er wheels.

My steel 26″ HT gets as much airtime as my Five. To be fair my FS might be redundant as I’m looking at a slack 29er for 2015.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, after checking out the Canyon site I’ve decided to treat myself to a Canyon Nerve AL,120mm of F/S bouncyness!

NormalMan

I have one of the Camber Experts 26ers mentioned earlier, with added short stem / wider bar gnarr (perhaps without the gnarr 😉 )

Although it rarely gets an outing. I bought an XC 29er ht which ended up being the ‘go to’ bike. That ht was replaced by a another 29er ht in steel which has taken ‘go to’ bike to a new level, for me at least.

I’d say try one before dismissing it. Perhaps a Spesh Camber EVO.

NormalMan

Looks like my post was about a minute too late then!

Enjoy your new bike 🙂

devash
    Free Member

Congrats OP, hope the new bike rides well when it turns up.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What new F/S 120mm?’ is closed to new replies.