Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What new frame?
  • grahamt1980

Ok so following todays ride in the peak and cleaning the bike, I have found cracks around the shock mountings on the top tube. (Bet you can't guess which bike – It is an 06 though).
    So question is what frame should I get as a replacement. Looking for around 130-140mm travel and around £1200 max.
    Not particularly bothered about meta's now though.
    Or any suggestions for good second hand frames?

Cheers
    Graham

james
    Free Member

How long is the warranty on a commencal? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? lifetime?

New:
    Pipedream Totero FS140 (140mm rear travel), 4-bar, £700 (singletrackmag seemed to love it)
    Cotic Hemlock (130-160mm forks, 120 and/or 150mm rear travel), 4-bar £1080 (inc. Fox RP23 + few other things)
    Santa Cruz Heckler (140-170mm forks, 150mm rear travel), single pivot, £1200 (2010 could be more)
    Orange 5 (130-160mm forks, 140mm rear travel), single pivot, £1275 (RP23)

Else buy a complete bike, but a low specced good frame, sell the bits, keep the frame. For eg:
    Giant Trance X_ ~ £1k, Reign ~ £1300-1400, Trek Fuel EX7 ~ £1400, Specialized Pitch £1400-1600 etc etc ..

Can't think what else off the top of my head, but there'll be more

grahamt1980

No idea what the warranty is, will email and ask. Ta

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tinribz
    Free Member

The only ones I really like the look of are those CHUMBA VF2's. Reckon they are about 1.2k if yiu can find a dealer.

grahamt1980

Bugger 2 years. Mine is well past that

Vortexracing

For £1200 you should be able to get a Cove Hustler. Speak to Merlin nicely, they are usually very good.

PJM1974
    Free Member

For £1200 you could pick up an '09 Marin Wolf Ridge. I've got an '08 Rock Springs and rate it highly.

Sell the low rent bits on ebay and fit the bling kit from your old bike – which is exactly what I did.

metalheart
    Free Member

JE James have 09 Trance X's at £700!

Chumba VF2s are a bit more expensive now (the ridiculous £1.2k bargain offer was for october only i think) The XCL isn't far off your mark though. Si will no doubt be on later. 😉 I found him pretty helpful.

gratuitous 140mm full sus shot:

hilldodger
    Free Member

The only ones I really like the look of are those CHUMBA VF2's

I wish people would stop posting pics of those Chumbas, I'm trying hard to resist……

si-wilson
    Free Member

Aye the VF2 is £1599. The xcl can be had around the £1100 mark and is utterly bomb proof. 2 year warranty but if you broke it riding normal stuff I would be amazed! The xcl is a very under rated frame, proven 4 bar suspension and probably the stiffest bike I have ridden in it's class.

Bregante

For me it would be hard to beat the Heckler at £1149. I believe the 2010 has been redesigned due to some "cracking issues"

grahamt1980

Got to admit am very tempted to see if I can stretch to a Nicolai Helius FR, but agree the chumbas look very nice. Coils all round too

metalheart
    Free Member

Got to admit am very tempted to see if I can stretch to a Nicolai Helius FR

that would be quite a stretch from your your 1200 max, no?
    And isn't the FR superseded by the AFR now?
    oh. my coil wasn't the stock shock…

grahamt1980

Yeah sadly it is, seen a few second hand though and they look very nice.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Graham drop me a mail I might have something to tempt you 🙂

dickie
    Free Member

Graham, got a Ventana El Ciclon – mint as new – mail me for details & photo's.
    What size are you?
    Email in profile
    regards
    Richard

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We've a few FR's left selling at a big discount but the Helius CC is more in line with your spec – 140mm front/130mm rear. Check out our site – we're open to reasonable offers on the discounted frames.

http://www.nicolai-uk.com

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What new frame?’ is closed to new replies.