Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • What new Android phone?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Ah bugger. Now that is a shame. Though not the end of the world. Hmm.

miketually
    Free Member

The new Moto G is out now. I think I want to pay the extra for the 16Gb/2Gb version, but it’s out of stock at Motorola. Should I just get the 8Gb/1Gb version for 2/3 the price instead?

lovewookie

no.

you only get 4Gb usable and no SD slot.

if you can find one of the first 16Gb versions that would be better.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s got an SD slot now doesn’t it?

flyingmonkeycorps

The new G doesn’t I think, but the X does. I bought a pair of wheels instead but eyeing up the X now, waiting for the 2014 ones to drop a bit hopefully.

miketually
    Free Member

Spotted a second hand Sony X1 Compact in town so bought that instead. £70 less than the better spec Moto G 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Aldi are selling a smartphone for £70 this Thursday the 6th of August.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

My moto g 2nd gen has an SD slot.

cp

the new g DOES have a sd slot according to the motorola website…

Expandable memory
    Slot for an optional microSD card with up to 32 GB capacity.**

It does seem to have gotten much more expensive though, isn’t quite the bargain phone it once was.

theflatboy
    Free Member

big j – where for the Z1 compact for £160? I have one and my wife may want one…?

TheFlyingOx

I’ve just plumped for the Ulefone Be Touch 2, and going on a BT £5/month sim-only deal.
    Got it for £135 (rather than £150+) with some paypal discount that appeared in the checkout. Android 5.1, 8-core @ 1.7GHz, big (removable) battery, 3GB RAM, 16GB + 32GB memory card, 5.5″ 2.5D screen, decent 5MP camera + flash at the front and some fancy 13MP Sony thing as the main one. Reviews seem very positive, and in terms of spec vs price it knocks all the big-name budget phones into a cocked hat.
    Root, fastboot and custom ROMs are already available on XDA Developers too, so the support is there.

flyingmonkeycorps

Keep us updated Flying Ox! Be interesting to hear how it is in real life.

flyingmonkeycorps

Just in case anyone was following this with baited breath I have ordered an LG G3 via a deal on HUKD. Assuming it all goes through and I get the cashback (which is currently pending) it will have cost me a grand total of £176.92.

flyingmonkeycorps

And another update! Phone has arrived and the screen is stunning; however it also has a stuck on “hot” pixel, which is really **** annoying. Currently waiting to hear back from their customer support re a return.

Sigh.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m still following this thread! good to hear the updatte

Cougar

If they refuse to accept it as a fault, remember you’ve got 14 days from receipt to reject it under Consumer Contracts Regulations (the successor to Distance Selling Regs) and send it back regardless.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

ZenFone 2 looks interesting, for those still looking….

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-zenfone-2,4267.html

monkeychild
    Free Member

Those zenfones are riddled with chinese phone aids (malware)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Loving my Sony Xperia Z3, dual sim, waterproof phone

If you are interested. I’ve got a Moto G dual sim phone going spare for £60. Less that a year old.

konabunny
    Free Member

is that a gen 1 or gen 2? would be interested if it’s a Gen 2 with card slot

cloudnine
    Free Member

Got my eye on the moto X Play for £249 from John Lewis (price match with carphone warehouse).. anything else about £250 to consider?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

monkeychild – Member
    Those zenfones are riddled with chinese phone aids (malware)

*citation needed*

mikertroid
    Free Member

How about one of these for £140??

Meizu M2 Note 4G

scandal42
    Free Member

How about one of these for £140??

Meizu M2 Note 4G

Interesting, looking for a cheap android phone and this one seems to have a decent spec for the money.

tinribz
    Free Member

Got my eye on the moto X Play for £249 from John Lewis (price match with carphone warehouse).. anything else about £250 to consider?

There are other’s but not with a hd screen and battery that long lasting. Had mine a week now, how the hell I managed with the one I had previous which now looks minute I don’t know.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Small Hi-jack please

Garmin/ Ant+/ andriod

Which phones are you guys using and is it useful/easy or just a royal garmin pain in the ar5e.

ty

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers @Cougar, I was thinking that – fortunately just I was looking at this thread I received a returns label and notification that they’re sending me a replacement. So thumbs up so far for Fireworks customer service – I was a bit worried that ‘cos it was such a convoluted buying process it might be a hassle, but so far so good.

So for those looking for a phone I would (tentatively) recommend the G3 deal I posted, although looking at the HUKD comments you might struggle to get it quite as low – but still below £200. Obviously the battery life will be nothing like the Moto X Play but the screen really is stunning.

toby1

For what’s it’s worth the OnePlus is the best thing I’ve ever used as a ‘phone’ I say phone as it’s a much a small tablet as it is a phone and it’s not like I ever really call people on it!

So if you do get the option it’s a worthy phone in my opinion, I’m looking forward to being offered a 2 as I’d like one and by then I’m sure my wife’s Nexus 5 will be all but dead.

Caher

Following this thread with interest as have just had to factory reset my Moto G as it has, again run out of space. Biggest and only real fault with this phone.

flyingmonkeycorps

Well my replacement G3 has arrived, and first impressions are very good – pretty amazing for the price. Everything is very quick and smooth, the screen is gorgeous (though I’m not entirely convinced there’s much advantage to QHD) and the LG skin has some nice touches, especially when you turn off all the crap. Which isn’t too much compared to some manufacturers at all.

isitafox
    Free Member

New Nexus should be out at the end of this month, just hope my Xperia Z1 holds out that long!

stumpy01

Hmmm. I should probably also take more of an interest in this thread.

My Xperia T is fine, but getting a little laggy at times after having it for 2.5 yrs. I think it was on the way out when I got it too, so is probably a way behind newer handsets.

I went into Three the other day regarding an upgrade & was told that I could have a mid-range Samsung on a reduced tariff for an extra £8/month…..hmmm.
    Or a Z1 Compact for an extra £15/month again on a reduced tariff.
    So, thinking I’ll just get a new phone when the time comes completely separate from anything that Three offers.

I’ve got an LG tablet & really like it, so perhaps an LG will also be a good option.

flyingmonkeycorps

I think the G3 deal I got has expired, though there still look to be some good deals out there. I paid £209.99 with cashback (still tracking) to bring it down to £177.

flyingmonkeycorps

And another update. Cashback is still tracking but the phone is great.

I’m not a particularly heavy user but after a day of occasional email / facebook checks, bit of browsing, a play on TrueSkate and a few photos when I went to bed at just gone midnight the battery was showing 55%. So I’m happy with that.

Bit of fiddling and I’ve got it working just how I like, the knock-code unlock is a nice touch and the camera is pretty decent too.

Screen quality is crazy, I watched a few QHD videos to test it and it looks incredible. Detail is nuts. Probably completely pointless in real life but then I ride a mountain bike so I’m used to that.

Not tested out the audio properly yet but it seems pretty good.

Overall I’d definitely recommend, based on the few days use I’ve had.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘What new Android phone?’ is closed to new replies.