Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What Netbook
  • Innes
    Free Member

I am planning getting a Netbook. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Innes

allthegear
    Free Member

Apple MacBook Air – 11 inch one. If you don’t have the money, get something else cheaper.

Rachel

CHB

Netbooks are rubbish.
    I bought an acer timeline laptop. Slim, light, 6 hour battery and only £400 last year. 15″ screen, much better than a netbook.

I do like the look of those macbook airs though…13″ for me!

aracer
    Free Member

Get a “not-a-netbook” with a 11″ screen and a proper processor (like the one I’m typing on). I have a Lenovo X100e, but there are others which are possibly more likely to suit your needs (this doesn’t have quite as good battery life, but is much better at some other aspects). A 15″ screen isn’t really that close to providing the portability of a Netbook, and whilst it’s undoubtedly light for something that size, it’s rather heavier and less portable than a 11″ one.

Unless of course you have enough money to get a fashion accessoryMacbook.

vrapan
    Free Member

What do you need it for? Start from there, for some uses netbooks can be ok but they have serious limitations. 10″ screen are not brilliant for prolonged use.

As above there are small portable computers with 11-12″ screens that have beefier insides and will serve you better.

Dare I say it the iPad is much better than most netbooks on many things that you would want a netbook for.

onewheelgood

This is a pretty good deal – dual core, full Windows 7 instead of the Starter edition, bundled DVD rewriter and a better screen than a netbook. All for only a few quid more and very little extra weight.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Ive been more than happy with my samsung NC10. They go cheap now.I know a rep that is onto his 2nd one (first one stolen) and he loves it. It does the job with no niggles that i can see,has a great battery life,gets good reviews and doesnt have windows 7 for those that might hate windows 7.

I havent switched on the pc since i got it.

aracer
    Free Member

for those that might hate windows 7

Who might they be? (apart that is from those trying to use computers of limited power, where XP may have a marginal advantage – but having a computer not up to the job is hardly the fault of the OS).

onewheelgood – that was the other one on my shortlist

martinxyz
    Free Member

I read/heard that a lot of folk werent keen on it a while back when i was looking for a netbook.

_tom_
    Free Member

The Samsung NC10 is good, I dunno if there’s something better out now though? My mate’s running Windows 7 on his NC10 and it seems to run well.

Innes
    Free Member

I like the look of the HP Pavilion, that seems like a good option.

spw3

It really does depend what you want it for. Since you haven’t told us, any suggestions we migh offer will be worthless as the sensible choices might vary from “don’t buy one bc it won’t be good for your use case”, to “get one”, to “get an iphone/iPad/laptop/desktop instead”.

br
    Free Member

+1 Acer, mine’s a small Aspire with Win7 and an 8 hour battery.

I’m a bit lost on why people bother with Netbooks, as even my 12 year old needs decent applications, for school.

midlifecrashes

Bought a Samsung N150 for mrsmidlife yesterday as an early crimbo pressie as she starts her MBA next week. It’s excellent, good keyboard, screen, long battery, light and classy looking.

Del

been very happy with my Samsung n110.
    currently runs xp, but I know it will happily run win7, as I have a desktop atom that does so.
    nice screen, good, useable keyboard, good battery life.

Del

double post (phone)

midlifecrashes

I’m a bit lost on why people bother with Netbooks, as even my 12 year old needs decent applications, for school.

It doesn’t have a problem with MS Office, web, email etc. It’s as capable as a 3-4 year old laptop would be, just not built for video and games.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

there are a new range of netbooks now with the Atom N540/N550 dual-core chip which will improve overall performance if you also increase the memory to 2gb, asus (cant remember model) and samsung N210 are currently available, worth a look!

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

I have an Acer One Ferrari. Quick and powerful,OK storage, 3 USB and it drives my 24″ monitor fine ………….. oh and a good 11″ screen. Just good!

Innes
    Free Member

I was planning using it to email, and browse the web. Maybe use iTunes as well.

I don’t really want to spend loads, the price of Netbooks is a big plus. I don’t really need a all singing all dancing laptop, that’s why a Netbook seemed to be a good option.

Innes
    Free Member

This looks quite good: Acer Aspire One D255 Dual Core.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Ijt might be worth a look.

gee
    Free Member

iPad?

Had one for 3 months and just sold my laptop as I haven’t used it since.

GB

stuartm555
    Free Member

Agree gee … Since getting an ipad the only thing i use my laptop for is photoshop

aracer
    Free Member

iPad?

I don’t really want to spend loads, the price of Netbooks is a big plus.

vrapan
    Free Member

A decent quality netbook is 300-400 yes you can find 200£ ones but they are just not good enough.

An iPad starts at 429…

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst we are recommending wildly inappropriate things, you could always get one of these:

Vaio P series – much smaller, much lighter, more powerful and much more expensive than a netbook but awesome. It really does fit in a pocket.

You can read the screen just fine if you have it on a table and you lean forwards. If you want to lean back you can hold it in your fingers it’s so light. Mrs Grips has one, and I really want one too 🙂

Innes
    Free Member

I ordered one of these: The Acer one in black..

Thanks for all your replies.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What Netbook’ is closed to new replies.