Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What narrow disc specific 29er / 700c rim for my Tripster, please?
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

I built my Kinesis Tripster up with some wheels that have been fantastic but they’re a wee bit weighty. They fitted the original bill perfectly (strong, reliable & looked nice) but I’m thinking of swapping them out for something strong, reliable and light…

The current ones have 6 bolt Novatec hubs (chosen for easy servicing, price and the fact I could get white ones…) laced to Halo AeroTrack deep section rims. I didn’t want a braking surface and these have done the trick really well.

I’m thinking of going for Hope Pro 2 hubs – either second hand or new, as I’ve run them for years on the mountain bike, but am struggling to find a suitable rim. Any suggestions? I run Vittoria Randonneur 700c x 28mm tyres and they’re not a wide 28 either, so worry that the majority of 29er rims might be too fat. I just don’t want a road rim with a braking surface though. Is there anything out there?

stanley

I’m in the process of building up a disc braked Kaffenback, and have stewed and stewed over this!
    I decided that I wanted to run 28mm GP4s most of the time, but may occasionally want to put some cx tyres on.

Didn’t want a machined braking surface, but gave up on that requirement as it narrowed choices down too far. Most 29er rims are too wide to run 28mm road tyres properly. Most can’t handle pressures much over 65psi either.
    I decided to go for 700c “road rims”. After hours of deliberation, I decided on Open Pros. I have them on another bike (28 spokes) and they are pretty strong.
    So I’m building them up as: Pro2 Evos in silver, Black DT Competition spokes, brass (silver) nipples, Black Open Pro rims (32 spokes, with silver braking surface).
    Hoping that the radiating silver, black, silver, black, silver, black will look good!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Too vain for braking surface?

All the lightest rims are for road bikes, so have braking surfaces. Sorry.

stanley

BTW,
    Others on the short list were:
    29er Crests (380g) or DT 470s (470g).
    700c CXP 33 (470g) or Velocity A23 (426g).

Open Pros are 435g

The Crests and (I think) the Velocities don’t have eyelets. A bit of a negative because I like to build them good and tight!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I put original arch rims on my tripster. Lighter than most road rims, no braking surface and support tyres down to 28mm.

Tight enough for a 15st rider.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks stanley – very helpful. It’s not a vanity thing cynic-al – just an aesthetic thing. I think there’s a difference, but could be wrong. Has been known before! 😕

I know Open Pros are almost the default 700c rim, so maybe that’s the option but some of the lanes on my commute are practically offroad. I’ve spotted some WTB SpeedDisc Cross Country rims on CRC that I know very little about – other than having had a pair of WTB wheels a while back with rims that I really didn’t like at all.

The Halo AeroTracks aren’t actually much heavier than Open Pros – in fact I think the quoted weights are about the same, as are those WTBs. I think the weight could actually be in the hubs…

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I remember your Tripster build, Onzadog – very sweet. When you say ‘original’ do you mean they’re not the same now? I’m only a stone and a half “lighter” than you, and want to match low weight / high strength. I do appreciate that the strength will be helped by a good build, and think I’ve got that covered.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Indeed.

I’ve raced open pros on mtb events on my 29er, no issues. But the halos are no heavier.

Can you get white hope hubs?

thomthumb
    Free Member

what about open pro CD? annodised rim & wall so it looks less shiny than a machined wall.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Can you get white hope hubs?

– nah, but I’ve grown out of that phase now 🙂

I’ll have a look at the Open Pros / CDs thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Way lighter rims around.

Onzadog
    Free Member

By original, I meant the original arch, not the newer ex version. Still running the same rims, still sweet.

stanley

I did look at Arches too.
    Didn’t make the short-list this time though! Don’t know about the original models, but current ones are 500g. Their construction would look to be pretty solid though. (Edit..That’s Arch not Arch-EX)

I emailed Stan’s technical support re. Crests a week or so ago. They (Stan’s)say that Crests are ok with a 28mm tyre (I think it would spread the tyre too much; ruining its profile) and that you can use any pressure. ie. whatever the tyre manufacturer is happy with.
    I wasn’t happy about having 100psi ish (maybe more) trying to heave a tyre off a very low, BST rim. Preferred the security of a proper “hooked” design.
    Also, from my investigations, where some manufacturers offer a rim in both rim-braked and non rim-braked versions, the rim braked is lighter. Guess that’s down to the machining. I’d have thought they could make the non rim-braked version lighter…hey-ho :-/

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I have similar wheels, Novatec hubs on aerotrack rims. The rims are 435g so i think you’re going to spend quite a bit of money and save naff all weight.

I’m not sure which novatec hubs you have (theres loads) but mine weighed the same as hope pro 2, though so of them on ebay weigh as much as 800-900g for the pair

Bear in mind you’ll probably need 32h rim too, so a lot of the superlight 20h rim brake rims will be unsuitable, especially with disc brakes.

A lot of your weight must be in the tyres??

Way lighter rims around.

like what?!

thomthumb
    Free Member

(I think it would spread the tyre too much; ruining its profile)

are you sure about that?

velocity are making the a23 to spread tyres as it gives a better feel.

I am running pasella 28c on a 19mm internal rim and they’re fine.

stanley

Crest has a 21mm internal width and low profile (BST)walls too. I’ve had tyres (ok tubeless) blow off 26″ Crests at fairly low pressures.

Velocity is 23mm external- so the internal is going to be a good bit less than 21mm. 18-19mm?? I think A23s would be fine with 28mm tyres.

Thomthumb… What rim are you using?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What happens when you ride a tyre with a “runed profile”?

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    Way lighter rims around.

like what?!

Stns alphas. I don’t think there’s much else lighter than open pro. I was just a bit perplexed at the OP looking for a lighter non disc rim the halo, but ending up looking at open pros – rim brake rims, the same weight.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I suspect its the tyres…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randonneur-city-tyre/
    These weigh 500g each.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4-season-road-tyre/
    250g

So you can save 1lb by keeping the wheels and changing the tyres. They’ll have less rolling resistance too. Changes the whole feel of the bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OMG losing wheel weight while running 500gm tyres? Missed that!

stanley

What happens when you ride a tyre with a “runed profile”?

Not sure what one of those is.

But a tyre is designed to be a certain shape (profile perhaps); pulling it wider or pinching it narrower will affect this. There is a point where that becomes undesirable.

Agree.. bin those tyres first!!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I was just a bit perplexed at the OP looking for a lighter non disc rim the halo, but ending up looking at open pros – rim brake rims, the same weight.

Just an option someone presented me with. I was surprised they weighed the same, to be honest – it’s made me feel better about my rims 🙂

OMG losing wheel weight while running 500gm tyres? Missed that!

I had Schwalbe Marathon Plus on there before – so have already trimmed about 350g per wheel with the change to the Vittoria! It’s a commuter bike (ableit a 45 mile round trip commute + winter training + bit of touring bike) – I really like the reflective sidewall. It’s all a compromise, but very good puncture protection, half decent rolling resistance and the reflectivity were important.

The change in tyres has made a difference, and doubtless GP4000 would greatly improve it too and I have to say, 250g is pretty impressive for that sort of tyre. I’ll seriously consider them and appreciate the advantage in feel this’ll make, as well as basic weight saving.

I’m not sure which novatec hubs you have (theres loads) but mine weighed the same as hope pro 2, though so of them on ebay weigh as much as 800-900g for the pair

I think mine are the latter. My plan is to rebuild the wheels with the lighter hubs – the Novatec D711/712SB is a touch lighter than Pro II – keep the rims and check out the GP4000 tyres.

Guidance and direction has been much appreciated. Think it’s helped me work it out as I couldn’t see the wood for the trees 🙂

nedrapier

Hi gone,

Here’s the CD’s built up, if that helps. Stickers have been taken off since.

Rik
    Free Member

Open pros are 470g as ive just weighed a couple.

Go for velocity a23 rims – just built up sone and very nice and wider and lighter and cheaper than open pros and no braking surface.

Ticks all your boxes

From just riding along.

edhornby

btw, if you are using it as a winter trainer, may be worth looking at the GP4seasons instead of the 4000s for not a big weight penalty, I’ve heard that the 4000s aren’t as p-proof

pbk are doing multibuy deals 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Cheers guys – very helpful. Just on pbk site now… 😉 Might just go for the GP 4Season as a ‘summer commute’ tyre (puncture proofing is a big deal for me…) and stick the Vittorias back on for the dark nights.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 for GP4S.

Strada do A23 wheel sets, I’m sure. I hope to use their major toms for the next cross season.

honourablegeorge

Will the A23s take 700x23c GP4000s?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What narrow disc specific 29er / 700c rim for my Tripster, please?’ is closed to new replies.