Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What music streaming service do you use?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive currently got free use of deezer as a swappable on my orange mobile contract but can only use it on my phone.. You can upgrade it for £5/ month to use on several devices. What are other people using? Whats it like etc..??

johndoh
    Free Member

Spotify is now free on mobile devices as of today I think .

No brainier.

wiggles
    Free Member

using a free trial of the (Google) play music at the moment seems decent but not sure I want to pay for it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Can you sync the music with spotify and listen offline?

chvck
    Free Member

Use Spotify here. It’s good. It has some irks I dislike but then I’ve not found a service that actually does what I want there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spotify, make offline playlists for my phone when I’m on planes etc. works well.

Not bothered about “not owning” the music

footflaps

Spotify, absolutely awesome service.

CaptainSlow

Ooh spotify free on mobile you say?

…Now deciding whether I can cope with the ads again…

BoardinBob

Spotify. Best £10 I spend every month

fourbanger
    Free Member

Soundcloud.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I tried Deezer for a while, frankly I got annoyed as it was free on computer but I had to pay to have it on mobile so I cancelled.

I find free streaming radio (and there are 100’s of channels aside from the standard bbd ones) good enough for me. If I’m going to pay for something I want to own the music and be able to play it wherever I am and when I don’t have any mobile signal.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Another 10 pound a month here. I’d give the telly up before spotify!

muggomagic

I was a spotify subscriber up until Google introduced the app for iOS devices. Now I subscribe to play music. I like that I can upload my own collection to play and then stream any of my own collection plus still have the option to add new stuff to my library from Google’s.

rsmythe
    Free Member

I use blinkbox music. Is pretty good with minimal advents

philbert31
    Free Member

Spotify.

TheFlyingOx

I was a spotify subscriber up until Google introduced the app for iOS devices. Now I subscribe to play music. I like that I can upload my own collection to play and then stream any of my own collection plus still have the option to add new stuff to my library from Google’s.

Ummm. You can do that with Spotify.

As above, best £10/month I spend.

sebgt
    Free Member

Another Google play music here, did have spotify but the library function on Google is so much better, instead of having them all in playlists. Shuffling a few or all albums is much easier to do, can download for offline listening and works well with kit kat on Nexus 4. I think I’m still paying £8 a month as I signed up at launch

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m on Spotify for a tenner I’m very happy with it. Rarely play whole albums so playlists are perfect for me.

muggomagic

I didn’t realise you could upload your music library to spotify that you can then listen to on mobile or tablet. You can do this for free on play music though.
    As sebgt says the library on play makes it far more useful to me than spotify. Best £7.99/month I spend 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

I don’t think that you can upload your own collection in Spotify? You can add local music to your library but it won’t be accessible from other devices was my understanding.

I hate the way that the Spotify library stuff works so off to investigate the Google offering!

jimmy

have Spotify Unlimited for £4.99/month. Now its free on mobiles so don’t need Premium.

spooky_b329

Glad I read this now, Spotify user and usually make the most of my 3gb data allowance, off to check out the cheaper unlimited version and play music 🙂

Has Spotify unlimited been removed? I only see the free and premium options.

sadexpunk

all these new innovations seem to be passing me by a little, im interested in finding out if they can work for me.

i trialled spotify a year or so ago and didnt take it up, as i just like listening to 6 music mainly and wasnt using it to its max. i use a squeezebox touch for playing 6 music and also my music stored on laptop.

what will google play give me that i dont know i need yet? 😀

i sort of picture my ideal to be listening to 6 music, hearing a song i like, and ‘storing’ it somewhere to listen to when i like, possibly with a load of other songs chosen the same way, and played at random at weekend when i dont particularly care for 6 music too much.

am i right in thinking if i pay a tenner a month, i ‘upload’ my collection somewhere? otherwise how can i access my music stored locally if say my laptops switched off (on a plane journey say)

im also about to buy a chromecast, which apparently supports streaming the music on google play. dont really understand that tho. if CC streams anything on my laptop anyway, why would i need GP to get involved?

thanks for any snippets of info

EDIT: just another question if you dont mind. ive been googling it, and see you buy movies to stream on GP too. or tv series. take one example, luther. its for sale for £6.50 for season 3. if i bought it, do i own it? or am i paying to stream it only? also it says you can d/load films to watch offline. so is that the only way of physically owning the film? or do you only ‘own’ films and music whilst youre paying the subs?
    i seem to remember thinking thats how the kindle works, you buy books but theyre stored online only.

thanks again

Militant_biker

Another £10/Month Spotify. Signed up years ago as it was the only way to stream music in the USA – get a UK Premium account, allowed unlimited access from abroad and the offline features.

The vast majority of my recent music is Spotify only. If I hear an artist/album I really want to support, I’ll buy on CD or download as well, but continue to listen on Spotify. If they ever stop the service I’ll have a huge gap in my collection (all logged through Last.fm), but without doubt I prefer the Spotify method, over buying CDs or downloading. I’ve discovered much more new (to me) music that I wouldn’t have found otherwise.

sadexpunk

just ordered a chromecast from amazon, so would appreciate any answers to my google play questions above ^^^
    id like to understand how it all works please.

thanks a lot 🙂

pmc00per
    Free Member

I use Deezer because I get it free with EE. I might only be renting the music but its free and I am paying for my mobile anyway

thd27
    Free Member

Anyone know if you can still listen to offline playlists now that it’s free on mobile?

Deveron53
    Free Member

I managed to backup and restore my free EE Deezer from my phone to a tablet. Dunno how but it’s still working! My cheapo android tablet now performs as my music player through my main stereo system – fantastic sound!

barrykellett
    Free Member

Grooveshark broadcasts
    Like radio, but you choose the Genre, and I don’t think there are any ads… For me, far better than making out play lists for yourself. Just join a Broadcast and enjoy the “not knowing”

torsoinalake
    Free Member

+1 for Spotify.

sadexpunk, you will have to make the playlist available offline if you want to listen when there is no network connection.

I am also really enjoying BBC’s Playlister. Depending on the show, you can add tracklistings as a playlist in Spotify.

sadexpunk

so it’d then reside on my hard drive and is mine for ever yep?

so you might as well make everything you want to keep available offline?

thanks

santacruzsi
    Free Member

EE / orange deezer users; you can download the app to other devices ( like my ipad for example!) and login to the same account or login via web browser as your mobile phone account . My EE deezer account allows use on 3 devices, so I use it on my mobile, ipad and laptop. Top tip!

chvck
    Free Member

The files are encoded so you can’t just play them with something else. You can most likely re-encode to mp3 or something although that’d be illegal and probably a bit of a faff.

I’m now using google music!

Hohum
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

so it’d then reside on my hard drive and is mine for ever yep?

so you might as well make everything you want to keep available offline?

thanks

Apparently you need to log on to your Spotify account at least once a month with the device on which the offline downloads are stored otherwise they delete themselves.

muggomagic

Any movies or TV purchased from play store come with DRM and can only be played using Google’s apps, but they will be yours and not part of some subscription. Music is free of DRM so any music purchased can be played on anything.

llama

Want to own your music: Google

Want to listen to anything*, but only rent it: Spotify

* almost anything

sadexpunk

let me see if ive got this right…..

do i pay a tenner a month for google play, yet still have to buy music, tv shows, films etc on top of that? isnt spotify a tenner yet you just listen to whatever you want included in that tenner?

and has anybody used plex and pay subs for that too? just looking at what i can use alongside my chromecast.

chvck
    Free Member

do i pay a tenner a month for google play, yet still have to buy music, tv shows, films etc on top of that? isnt spotify a tenner yet you just listen to whatever you want included in that tenner?

With Google AND Spotify you can listen to whatever you want. Google also lets you buy music to play that you then ‘own’ so can download and play on whatever device you want etc…

sadexpunk

With Google AND Spotify you can listen to whatever you want. Google also lets you buy music to play that you then ‘own’ so can download and play on whatever device you want etc…

thanks. and what about films/tv to watch offline. you have to pay for those on top? so the tenner is just for unlimited music streaming?

chvck
    Free Member

I’m not sure about those, Spotify doesn’t do them – I know that much. I’m not sure about Google though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What music streaming service do you use?’ is closed to new replies.