• This topic has 167 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by _tom_.
Viewing 8 posts - 161 through 168 (of 168 total)
  • What music do you absolutely, completely and utterly despise?
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

to be fair, the stuff i mentioned (maroon5 aside), i don’t actively “hate”; it just does nothing at all for me so i generally choose to avoid listening to it if/when i have the choice.

Danny79
    Free Member

Donk… hellish repetitive bass heavy mess from the midlands.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Totally get the Beatles hate.

It’s not really them, or their music… I actually quite like ‘A Day In The Life’, although that one that goes “I love you yeah yeah yeah” makes me want to smash things. It’s the constant banging on about them that drives me nuts. I can kind of understand the old gits at the BBC doing it, they were of their time, (I’m sure I’ll be banging on about early nineties rave culture when I’m old), but when the young sycophants on R6 start up… grr!

You also get the old ‘music owes everything to The Beatles’ line trotted out, even by one of my old music teachers. I don’t agree. I hate guitar music generally, all the music I like that isn’t classical stems from Disco, Soul, Funk and Gospel. I’m pretty sure The Beatles didn’t invent that.

Oh yeah, music I despise? Metal; I think it sounds so bad, but worse than that is how serious all those teenage boys take it. Ridiculous. There’s also a type of music that I’m not sure if it has a name but am convinced it’s made in a factory near Rotherham and sold direct to large shopping centre’s and takeaway joints. Kind of like highly polished turgid pop-trance with hammy autotuned vocals. I hate that.

slowoldman

Ah yes, Autotune. That does deserve to be despised.

edhornby

Acid Brass 🙂 that was a product of Salford University when I was there, half that band were on my course, the arranger was a tutor. Quite a lot of the band moaned about it being ‘a loada roobish’ but then changed their mind when it was well received !!

I understand the viewpoint about the beatles, they are now a historical item because so many of the innovations have been consumed and reinvented by subsequent artists, so you filter out the (relative) mediocrity and focus on the good stuff
    same with Elvis – the sun sessions and his 68 comeback are still well regarded highpoints but his vegas cheeseburger period, and the films… well…

Rusty makes the great point about assessing each bit of music on it’s own merits and not worrying about genre; a lot of people don’t like Ambient, Hip-hop has also been listed as a no, but I bet all those would listen to Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack and say ‘that is great’

isto
    Free Member

I can understand the Beatles hate towards some of the early more poppy songs but I think they have produced such a wide body of music it can’t all be labelled the same.

Take this for example:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tV0l62RZ80[/video]

It has to be one of their most their ground breaking pieces and is worlds apart from the “she loves you yeah yeah yeah” type songs.

grum
    Free Member

Don’t think there’s any genre I would completely dismiss but screamo type stuff I find it very hard to muster up any enthusiasm for. And commercial hip-hop/rnb now is pretty dreadful (especially for someone who loved hip-hop in the 90s before it was pop music).

Donk… hellish repetitive bass heavy mess from the midlands.

How dare you – it’s spiritual home is Bolton (and it is shit but I secretly quite like it).

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMvj1piK58[/video]

_tom_
    Free Member

haha Put a Donk On It is a tune 😛

I also really can’t get into 99% of stuff you hear on radio 1. Boring tedious middle of the road guff with no balls. Very “safe” music. Not a massive fan of metalcore either but I like some stuff and different flavours of it – the more hardcore punk influenced stuff I can get into but never been a fan of In Flames, Killswitch etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 161 through 168 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘What music do you absolutely, completely and utterly despise?’ is closed to new replies.