• This topic has 167 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by _tom_.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)
  • What music do you absolutely, completely and utterly despise?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s good and bad in all genres -good evend in folk, and Genesis and Level 42 have had bad days.

Of course pop gets worse the older you get. Modern R&B must have it’s ancestors spewing.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

[/quote]Dunno what ‘genre’ it is but a lot of what prisoners play. Sounds like fairground music but faster?. Utter talentless shite.

EsselGF. Do you mean convicts in general or obscure 80’s band who influenced The Charlatans? Surely not utterly hate able? Although I dug out an LP of theirs at the weekend and only lasted 2 songs.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

Ha! Messed up that quoting thing didn’t I.

richmars

Ok, just to be clear, covers that are done on X Factor.

sargey

Anything by Billy Paul and syreeta

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Anyone up for going to see DJ PayPal next week?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_DtS6caVrQA[/video]

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Rap.

mt
    Free Member

All music is brilliant, right place right time is important though.

That Mick Hucknall comment has merit also Brian May.

chewkw
    Free Member

Can’t really decide if I have given up on music or just don’t like them at all.

For example, I like James Last, ABBA, Bee Gees, Blondie, Carpenters and Elvis the king but I am really struggling to like music/songs etc beyond them …

Those gangsters macho talking quickly sort of “music/songs” are simply shite to me as I cannot hear rhythm or whatever in them other then just a bunch of annoying people speaking quickly.

langylad
    Free Member

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Smudger666

Oirish folk music – all that twiddlydiddlyaye bollocks does my head in – I’m certain the lower circles of hell would have an Oirish themed soundtrack.

CountZero

Edit: you want pretentious? Try prog rock from the 70’s.

Some of it can be, to be sure.
    However, there’s plenty that’s interesting, complex music that’s clearly more than being clever for the sake of it.
    I doubt if any here can understand the effect that hearing King Crimson’s 21st Century Schitzoid Man for the first time had on a sixteen year old who had no records, and had only heard what was played on the radio.
    Which did include Tangerine Dream on a Sunday afternoon Jimmy Saville programme from Germany.
    I have little liking for jazz, although jazz inflected is fine, like Steely Dan/Donald Fagen/Gentle Giant, most of what passes for modern chart music leaves me massively underwhelmed; autotune is the work of Satan.
    I don’t have much time for Nashville ‘hat-acts’, the rhinestone and tassels C&W acts, but I have no issues with actual roots country, like Kasey Musgraves, or Karen Dalton, it’s only another form of folk music.
    Not interested in most electro, disco, d&b, or dance music in general; I want a tune, dammit.
    That still leaves a huge amount of stuff from ABBA to Zappa, and includes both.
    Basically, there’s stuff I like, and stuff I don’t like, the stuff I like others don’t, like ABBA, for example, (perfect pop songs, no other reason needed), and the stuff I don’t that others do.
    I fail to understand the massive dislike of the Beatles, unless it’s because of a lack of understanding of their historical importance to music, and the massive contributions they made to cutting-edge studio techniques along with George Martin.
    Most modern music wouldn’t exist in a way we understand with out them showing the way, failure to understand this simple fact shows an amazing amount of ignorance of music history over the last century.

downshep

Cleo ‘shu be f.. do’ Laine and Johnny Dankworth.
    Modern mysogony and conceit ridden R&B.
    Christan Rock
    Bagpipe Rock
    Recent U2
    Hebridean Waulking songs; music to literally make you piss your tweeds.

Flaperon

Jazz. Especially improv.

And shouty angry white rap. (“I want a fast car and a gun and a house and a whore and more whores and some diamonds and my homies and a purple chair and another car…”)

Also musicals.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Hebridean Waulking songs; music to literally make you piss your tweeds.

Giggity.

Stainypants

The venn diagram of the music I like and the music the missus likes has never been too bad. We can agree on a lot she refuses to allow Nick Cave and I refuse to allow Jamiroquai in the car,, recently she had taken a liking to Pitbull which I cannot approve or understand

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMXuHBEn8F8[/video]

isto
    Free Member

For the jazz haters does that include the likes of Louis Armstrong and Nina Simone? I get the dislike for the noodlin improv type jazz as it is definitely an acquired taste. It is a large genre though. A bit like someone disliking rock music – which is entirely possible I suppose.

Xylene
    Free Member

M People – whatever they are, I hate it/

_tom_
    Free Member

Stuff like The Chemical Brothers. I just find it really cheesy sounding.

Foo Fighters. Just boring formulaic rock. I once heard it described as “corporate rock” which sounds about right. Dave Grohl should just stick to drums, his career peaked at Songs For the Deaf anyway (imo etc etc) 🙂

Country. It is evil. My wife loves it, and my old boss loves it. They both insist on playing country stations when I’m in the car with them. Followed by whatever Munford are, and then Pink, Katy Perry and the like.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not sure what I hate more about the Beatles – their shite music or the way people fall over themselves to remind you that music as you know it couldn’t possibly exist had they not been around. 😉

Of course, we would all still be banging rocks together making cave jazz. Nothing else existed musically before the sodding Beatles.

Hanson. My wife, for some reason, still has the musical taste of a pre-pubescent girl. I refuse to let her pollute the stereo with it.

Christmas songs. The first bar of Wizard or Slade is enough to warrant switching off whatever it’s being shoved out of.

Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Journey, speeded-up-fairground-music (Hardcore?) that silly wee bams listen to, RnB (the new kind), Beige (Coldplay et al.), anything sung with an accent that’s trying far too hard (The Proclaimers [especially The Proclaimers], Twin Atlantic etc.).

RustySpanner

No one actually hates the Beatles – it’s just an affectation displayed by people who lack the intelligence to form any genuinely interesting opinions.

As to those who insist that they hate all Jazz/Reggae etc, you come across as one of those people from the 70’s who went abroad once and spent the rest of their lives banging on about how awful all foreign food is.

Are you proud of your small mindedness in other walks of life, or just music?

Scapegoat

Sorry @ Rustyspanner….. I am far from unable to form interesting and intelligent opinions, and am in no way a displayer of affectations. The Beatles were played ad nauseam by my schoolfriends during the formative years of my musical tastes, when my older sister and her friends were playing Bowie, Floyd and many other bands of the time. As a result I found that I genuinely despised their music. I have an incredibly eclectic taste in music, having been a professional chorister, and enjoy listening to a very broad spectrum indeed,from early Venetian 16 part choral works to Nirvana, but it’s got to be music with a purpose, music that defines or shapes a genre or sets new standards. I loved 1970s metal, but didn’t like much of the spandex generation. I love British punk, but not much of the American copycat version ( Ramones respectfully excepted). I do however draw the line at R n B, Rap and, I’m sorry to say, improv Jazz.

Oh, and Mick Hucknall.

BigDummy
    Free Member

1) She Is Like A Sad Metaphor That Matches My Sad Face stuff.

2) In The Club, With Our Bitches, Sipping On Our Branded Drinks stuff.

3) The Cute One Sings A Line, Then The Troubled One Sings A Line stuff.

But a lot of stuff I probably haven’t made enough of a study of to really have an opinion.

Someone mentioned The Beatles earlier – I agree, cannot be bothered. Ditto The Rolling Stones. But that’s got a lot to do with not understanding the historical context of them I think – same as it didn’t bother me when Bob Dylan went electric, because I wasn’t born.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Dubstep I absolutely can’t stand it.

Liquid Dubstep, basically tries to sound like Trance with a break beat and some fart noises.

Edm how is this now classed a genre on its own? Edm used to be the term for all Electronic Dance music (Techno, House, Trance, Hardcore etc)

Jazz it’s just shite

Boy bands (westlife etc) they all sound the same

Michael Buble just NO!

Modern R&B again as above

Death metal or whatever it’s called, sounds like all the instruments being raped and somebody shouting down a microphone

Gabber hard-core the dance music version of death metal.

RustySpanner

🙂

But what is it about the Beatles music itself you don’t like, as opposed to the circumstances in which you were introduced to it?

You say the music you like has to have a purpose or define a genre.
    Why?
    And what purpose?

As to genre defining acts, who decides that?
    Critics?
    The industry?
    Sales figures?

Music is just noise – attempting to define it (and consequently our relationship towards it) by genre is self limiting and joyless act, surely?

RustySpanner

DP – apologies.

BillMC

For decades I have regularly enjoyed jazz (Charlie Mingus), harpsichord (JS Bach), Beatles (almost any post 1965) and Clapton (Cream Live at the Fillmore East), reggae and bluebeat, choral music (Bach’s Magnificat) so there must be something wrong with me. Can’t abide Mumfords, R and B, Coldplay, heavy metal, most of what I ever hear on R1. Taste innit.

bearnecessities

Sam Smith’s whining about anything & everything.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Rusty, you’re coming across as telling people their opinion is wrong. Opinions are subjective, why do we need a breakdown of the hows and whys?

For the record Helter Skelter isn’t bad. That’s about all I can abide.

sadexpunk

actually, +1 with the beatles. never did understand the hype (altho i was only a toddler at the time, i dont understand it retrospectively)

theres ringo tap tap tapping at the drums and im thinking my mum could do better than that. bland songs, why is everyone screaming at them?? spose you had to be there, altho i can still see the talent in other 60s/70s bands, just not them.

kayak23

Whenever I am unfortunate enough to hear Gary Moore I want death to take me.
    I’d like to take that guitar out of his hands and ram it into his face every time he does that screwed up prolonged note sex face thing. Makes me feel ill….
    pretty much any music with guitar solos is uncomfortable for me. Horrible pretentious stuff…

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FiuQ1EbrT94[/video]

I would never dismiss an entire ‘ genre’ though as some appear to do here.

convert

Of course there is music I dislike, or at the very least like less than others genres. This pales into insignificance to my dislike of people who are derogatory and think poorly of others for their music choices. It’s just not that important, live and let live and all that.

squirrelking
    Free Member

This pales into insignificance to my dislike of people who are derogatory and think poorly of others for their music choices.

is a bit contradictory when you stand it next to

It’s just not that important, live and let live and all that.

It’s banter, get over it. People in different tastes shocker…

convert

It’s banter, get over it. People in different tastes shocker…

Here it is, absolutely. But in my day job I get to see bullying and physical abuse based around music choice. It out there – get over it!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Punk – shouty dumb music made purely with the aim to make money, sell T-shirts and promote fashion accessories.
    Most genres I can find at least something that I could listen to, but all that suburban white boy ego-angst, not a single worthwhile millisecond of music just pure money shots for the promoters/producers.

mogrim

Jazz (the improv stuff), and a fair number of Spanish bands that were big when my wife was at university at the end of the eighties. And folk, particularly whiny female singers like Tracy Chapman.

And Ed Sheeran. I really, really hate Ed bloody Sheeran. Unfortunately my daughters love him, and know I hate him, and the little ******s play him just to wind me up 👿

isto
    Free Member

I can usually find good music in most genres but struggle with a lot of heavy metal, trance and modern r’n’b. I **** hate Kanye West with a passion. I dislike 90% of whats in the charts these days but am still a fan of new music.

I am still slightly perplexed by the amount of jazz haters on this thread..how can you hate this?

[video]http://youtu.be/vmDDOFXSgAs[/video]

BillMC

Might I recommend the flamenco haters should lock their ears on to a bit of Paco de Lucia. His live at Teatro Real (1978) is amazing but everything else he recorded is well worth a listen.

Edric64
    Free Member

I fail to understand the massive dislike of the Beatles, unless it’s because of a lack of understanding of their historical importance to music, and the massive contributions they made to cutting-edge studio techniques along with George Martin.
    Most modern music wouldn’t exist in a way we understand with out them showing the way, failure to understand this simple fact shows an amazing amount of ignorance of music history over the last

I know nothing of the importance of studio techniques or music history.Who does ? I just don’t like the music

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘What music do you absolutely, completely and utterly despise?’ is closed to new replies.