Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • what mtb shoes do you use.
  • ton

boring i know, but i used to wear spesh bg shoes, but the latest models with the ratchet are shyte (imho).
    they just do not get on with my feet.
    offroad i have been using 5/10s and flats,but on loger rides i need some spd's.
    i have wide feet, i also need something suitable to walk up steep stuff in,so stiff ballet cycling shoes are not a option.

help.

househusband

Several mates use Shimano MT90's, or whatever the current model is, all year round – for rides where walking is a must I'll wear them. Have had mine for several years and will be replacing them without hesitation once the current pair die.

ton

mate, had the original ones, which were ace, but the current ones are too narrow.

rossrobot
    Free Member

These
    Nicely made, but absolutely rubbish in the wet; the breathing holes let water pour in.

nickc

Sidi Dominators

h4muf
    Free Member

M21's and MO86's.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Polaris something or other. I think Polaris make some of the most under-rated great value kit out there.

Shackleton

Lake MX165s when it's dry, Lake MX140s when it's not. Best fitting shoes I've worn (I have a comparatively broad forefoot if that helps), very grippy rubber with big lugs for grip, comfy enough to walk for short periods in and plenty stiff for pedaling. They seem to be quite high volume so I have to put an extra half insole under the front to take up some toe room.

geoffj

Either spesh or shimano do a custom fitting option. Worth a try?

loddrik
    Free Member

Spesh BG in summer and shimano mw for winter

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Shimano shoes are narrow.

May be worth looking at Bontrager- they're the widest riding shoes I've tried and seem good. Can't comment on performance as they were so wide I can't ride in them with my skinny feet.

benjag
    Free Member

Shimano DX's are comfy, fit my wide feet ok.

Daffy

Ton, can you not get a wide fit Shimano shoe? I can't normally get into Shimano shoes. but a 44 wide is PERFECT for my size 9s.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

shimano DX are wide – 44s fit my size 9.5s perfectly

_tom_
    Free Member

vans for cheap from ebay.

amodicumofgnar

Spesh ratchet ones circa 08, get on with them fine. Not to sure about the white colour scheme and stick on sole on the latest version.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

have Shimano AM50's as I kept cutting my ankles on stuff but they are giving my right foot little pinky grief, as I think they are too thin.

Swear by Spesh shoes, so because of above I have gone back to them and the possibility of cut ankles

Will just wear the Shimano boots on known rocky stuff for protection

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Etnies Locut or Vans Mid Skool.

eth3er
    Free Member

I'm on my third pair of DX's. So good in fact I've never tried anything else.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

What about something like this? Wider because they are skate shoe styled but still SPD compatible…not sure how hard wearing they are mind.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Shimano DX (like the ones above)and Shimano M181 off road, Gearne on road. Waffle soles on the bmx :-).

fubar
    Free Member

Spesh Tahoe very comfy for a wider foot,

neninja
    Free Member

I have wide feet and use Specialized BG Sport

rOcKeTdOg

shimmy DX's and Nike YVr's here

ton

just bought some black dx's.
    gonna give then a try.

got some 661's but to make then engage with a platform spd pedal, i will have to take a knife to them, which i do not want to do.

bigsi
    Free Member

Ton i use Lake's in the wide fitting. Had the Spesh BG Taho's before which i liked but the Lakes are a better option and nice and flexi with the Vibracom sole 😛

foxyrider
    Free Member

Spesh BG Comp shoes – too stiff for you though 🙂

mudmonster
    Free Member

The sole on my specialized saw pit shoes has just cracked. They were so comfy. Bought some shimano but they are a bit too small, even though I bought a size bigger than usual. God knows what I'll get next.

Hadge
    Free Member

Sidi Eagle 6 SRS Carbons and some Spesh BG Pro's. The fit of the Spesh shoes take some beating but the soles very worn now so don't use them that often. I got the Sidi's very cheap and they are very nice shoes and you can replace the soles which is ace.

LoCo
    Free Member

Shimano DX.
    Worn with seal skins socks in the winter are good enough for 4 hour rides in monsoon condition too.

Haze

661 Filters & Sidi Dominators 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

Yep ive got a pair of those stormtrooper white style shimano dx, most comfortable biking shoe ive ever had, will get the new black ones for the winter.

Before that i had a pair of speshi tahoo, they lasted about 2 years, fit well and when waterproofed held off most of the water.

Inzane
    Free Member

Lake MX165's. I do a lot of hike a bike (often carry for a couple of hours to get to the good tracks). Good amount of rubber on the sole for grip. They wear really well (I have had 4 years out of the current pair) and they are comfy both on and off the bike. I did have a pair of Pearl Izumi Alp-x shoes recently, but wrecked them in under 6 months…

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Vans.

woffle
    Free Member

sidi dragons. Ace.

Sam

I like Sidis, but given your requirements they may not suit, though they do a 'mega' extra-wide fitting. Carnac are very wide and roomy shoes IME.

elaineanne
    Free Member

whats a 'loger' rides please ? riding logs ? great 😉

if you have wide feet…ie like Frodo, then go for five-tens.. 😳
    spesh shoes are always narrow….

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

[SpokesCycles – Member
    Shimano shoes are narrow.

May be worth looking at Bontrager- they're the widest riding shoes I've tried and seem good. Can't comment on performance as they were so wide I can't ride in them with my skinny feet]

plus 1, Bontrager (which used to be branded Nike) are the only shoes that I can find to fit my obviously weird wide and high feet…

clubber
    Free Member

I have very wide feet too. Shimano M086 are very good I've found – flexy enough to walk in but stiff enough that they don't feel flexy on the bike.

And they come in a brill gold/bronze colour 🙂

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=18312&src=froogle

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

specialized bg comp here. good shoes, if not the lightest, but fairly narrow cut.

those bronze/white shimanoes look ace!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘what mtb shoes do you use.’ is closed to new replies.