Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What MPV for bikes, please put my mind at rest, is there such a thing ?
  • doodlebug
    Free Member

Probably ready for a change in transport, currently use bike racks on roof of estate car and now really would like some sort of MPV, keep the back seats down and just wheel MTB / road in without taking wheels off or lowing saddle. Any ideal with a large enough tailgate ?

Thinking of :
    VW Touran
    Scoda Roomster
    Fiat Doblo
    Citroen Belingo
    Peugeot Partner
    or other…..

Is there such a thing ?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

My old Galaxy used to be ace for bike transporting.

Bike went straight in with wheels,if you took the rear seats out.Expensive to run though with high road tax,fuel and consumables.

goby

I got a 2003 Peugeot partner and love it, just right to to the family thing with pushchairs etc then come bike day drop the seats and wheel bike in and strap it down.

matt_outandabout

VW Touran

2005, 1.9TDi 105 here on 120k.
    Practical (really practical), good MPG, held it’s value well.
    Not as well built as you might think, costs a chuffing fortune when it goes wrong (which it has) and now has some silly bits needing (expensive) replacement.
    Should it have been more reliable/cheaper, I would have recommended it. However, I won’t buy another or another VW soon.

Mackem

I get my bike in without doing anything to it in my Meriva. I put it in sideways flat though. Not enough people seem to consider this way.

DickBarton

My Berlingo was ideal…bike wheeled in upright without any adjustment other than folding the rear seat…was ideal. Seemed cheap to run and was pretty reliable…I’d have another I reckon.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Thanks for replying folks, at least i know there is types out there that could do the job, off for a little look around now…..

maxray
    Free Member

We have Touran and I dont think you could wheel the bike in without removing the front wheel or saddle. As a car though it has been awesome, can’t fault it.

kayak23

Berlingo here. Brilliant car. I’ve taken the double back seats out though, so easily get 3 people and bikes in now. Could do it with seats in and folded but I also use it to sleep in sometimes too. Bit short then without seats out.
    Took 3 of us around Europe with our bikes last summer for three weeks.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

My current shape Galaxy takes bikes whole with all the rear seats folded flat, you have to angle them slightly sideways to get them in through the tailgate. Average 42mpg, Tax £120 a year (iirc), reasonable insurance. Practical car to run in my view, and great to bike transport.

Northwind

I was planning to take a couple of seats out of a galaxy for practically-a-van use, would have been good I reckon.

Lots of people carriers end up less good as bike-haulers unless you actually remove a seat, though- relatively rare for them to fold flat and give you a good load bay like an estate car does (and fwiw, I can get 2 complete bikes into the back of my mondeo, wheels on, seatposts in etc)

mudshark
    Free Member

Love my Roomster. Take 2 of the back seats out leaving one for my son then load the bike and everything else we need. Car drives nicely too.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Mudshark – Does your Roomster hold your bike upright without tilting ?

kayak23

The lifting tailgate on the Blingo is fantastic. Sit on the back and get changed in the rain.
    Been thinking about some sort of tarp setup for it for camping trips too…

scrambledeg
    Free Member

VW Touran
    2005, 1.9TDi 105 here on 120k.
    Practical (really practical), good MPG, held it’s value well.
    Not as well built as you might think, costs a chuffing fortune when it goes wrong (which it has) and now has some silly bits needing (expensive) replacement.
    Should it have been more reliable/cheaper, I would have recommended it. However, I won’t buy another or another VW soon.

Used to have a VW T4 Transporter and I know lots of people love them, but I found them poorly put together not that cheap to run, service and parts costs produced eye watering misery.
    Personally I wouldn’t buy another. Mitsubishi all the way, still not that cheap but solid and reliable like VW used to be!

grantway
    Free Member

Had a Ford Galaxy just a re badged VW basically brilliant
    but don’t buy old due to electrical reliability issues being common

DickBarton

The vw is a rebadged ford as ford developed the galaxy and got it to market first…but you are right…they are the same just different badges on bonnet, boot, steering wheel and wheels.

mudshark
    Free Member

Mudshark – Does your Roomster hold your bike upright without tilting ?

Hmm have never tried as I put mine into a bike bag to keep everything tidy with the rest of the luggage and my son. I don’t think it would go in upright with both wheels on though

There is a cunning device available which I never bothered to buy

thread here:
    http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/119489-can-mountain-bikes-fit-in-the-back-of-the-roomster/

Northwind

DickBarton – Member

The vw is a rebadged ford as ford developed the galaxy and got it to market first…but you are right…they are the same just different badges on bonnet, boot, steering wheel and wheels.

Some differences in spec and engine though- can’t get the 1.8T with a blue oval on it frinstance, if for some reason you want your people carrier to have a hot hatch’s engine in it.

Most important thing is that the Alhambra looks faster.

matt_outandabout

Mitsubishi all the way, still not that cheap but solid and reliable like VW used to be!

Funny, we are looking at Toyota van, as Jap seems so much more reliable.
    Our old Mazda was 13 years/130k in and nothing not working, ran it for a year and it cost a service, and MOT and one tyre. And sold it for £50 more than I paid. Our Yaris is on 75k, and has had service, tyres and (last month or so) new pads and discs. Other than that, nothing since new.
    Compare that with £1.2-£1.8k per year maintenance on the Touran. 😕

DickBarton

Does it not come with a V6 or a 2.5 turbo lump?

iffoverload
    Free Member

Tailgate Berlingo, 3 bikes and 4 peeps with 1 wheel off and 1/3 seat down, 1 bike 4 peeps, drop seat and turn bars 180 slides in diagonal, long service intervals, comfy to drive. just wish the rear was a wee bit longer….

DickBarton

Sorry my question ws to Northwind about the Galaxy…not sure why I asked though as I’d never have one…would be very tempted with another Berlingo…if financies allow when the current car is due to be replaced, I think I’ll get one.

DickBarton

I have an original {url=http://www.minourausa.com/english/transport-e/excel-m-e.html]Minoura Vergo[/url] – 2 bikes (QR’s as it was bought before it went all 20mm and 15mm axles).

Worked a charm but in the end it was never used as the bikes went in complete. Been sitting in my garage for about 7 years now…shame really as it does a very good at transporting the bike internally.

So if you don’t mind removing a front wheel then it opens up more possibilities for your vehicle as it then makes some vehicales acceptable in terms of lugging capabilities i.e. S-Max would have no issues if you dropped the front wheel – bike would be upright.

takisawa2

Older shape ” Galshambra”.

IMAG0568 by pten2106, on Flickr

Still four seats in there. Move one to the middle & a 5th will go in the boot.
    Ours is the Ford. Think they stopped around 06′ reg, VW about the same time but Seat’s went on till 59′ plate I think. I’d happily buy another. 35mpg, up to 40+ on a run. There’s even an owner’s club for them, run by some top chaps. Simply great if you’ve active kids. Ours pulls a 1500kg caravan without any problems.
    Given there’s a new Seat Alhambra out this shape should make a bargain. There are a few niggles, but nothing too expensive.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What MPV for bikes, please put my mind at rest, is there such a thing ?’ is closed to new replies.