Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What Mountain Bike Carrier – Roof Mounted
  • Frodo

My Thule 510 Tour carriers are rapidly coming to the end of their serviceable life. Carrying £3k+ worth of bikes on the roof i’m inclined to replace rather than run the risk of a catastrophic failure!

Looking for a solid, secure racks to fit into T track roof bars.

The Thule ProRide 591 look like the market leaders but I’m also considering the Atera Giro AF+. Both look good and I really like my Atera roof bars.

One of my main niggles with the Thule 510 was the straps that were not long enough to go around 2.25″ MTB tyres.

If anyones got experience good or bad I would appreciate the feedback.

Ta

toofarwest

I’ve been impressed with my 591 so far, the straps are plenty long enough for 2.4s and the frame clamp is sturdy.
    I did look at a few other makes but the Thule seemed to be the one to go for.

brennak

If you go for the 591 have a look on the Ford accessory website £58 cheapest I’ve seen

toofarwest

I had mine from Ebay, £57.95 but if you want two there are deals to be had.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Thule ProRide 591

Been using those for many years with no problem. Easy to use and pretty secure if you don’t mind frame clamps.

But as I’ve just bought a carbon framed bike, I’ve gone for one of these instead:-

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/inno_tyre_hold_bike_carrier_no_ina388/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B%7EcC4ure5iWXq

junitrules
    Free Member

Halfords had 2x Thule 591’s for £107.99 the other day. Not sure if they still have the deal on

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I used my 591s for years and years without a single complaint. They’re still sat in my cellar doing nothing if you want to make me an offer…

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 pendle roof carriers that mount by the fork with the front wheel removed, I prefer the extra security despite the pain of putting the front wheel in the boot.

rockhopper70

[*]I have one 591 and it’s been faultless, albeit it is now faulty as the frame clamp doesn’t lock with the key.
    However, for the same price as one, I bought two Halfords advance carriers. These clamp side to side across the downtube and (rumour has it) are made by Thule.
    Cant fault these either and TBH, I think I prefer the mechanism on the Halfords carrier.

honourablegeorge

brennak – Member
    If you go for the 591 have a look on the Ford accessory website £58 cheapest I’ve seen

Got the URL?

Looking for a 561 to take my DH Bike

Frodo

The 591 looks like it’s in the lead!

Anyone used it with an Orange 5, the geometry isn’t the easisest?

I’m not thinking of second hand as my existing racks are becoming very loose around the rivit connections which is making me nervous.

Ta

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Used mine with my Five and absolutely fine. The only bike I ever had a problem with was a mates old Commencal Meta.

brennak

Honourablegeorge URL

http://www.trustfirstparts.co.uk/product/Thule_591_Bicycle_Carrier_Pro_Ride_591_-_1698518_Z591-450

Unfortunately now £59 99, still not too bad

bikeneil
    Free Member

What Mountain Bike Carrier – Roof Mounted

Why do you want to put magazines on your roof?

passtherizla
    Free Member

+1 for 591 carries my tiny 4x bike, and my trail bike and my DH bike no worries at all.

honourablegeorge

brennak – Member
    Honourablegeorge URL

http://www.trustfirstparts.co.uk/product/Thule_591_Bicycle_Carrier_Pro_Ride_591_-_1698518_Z591-450

Unfortunately now £59 99, still not too bad

TA, was hoping they had the 561, no luck though

Rickos
    Free Member

I went for this one so as not to scratch the frame or put weird stresses through fork dropouts. It’s like the Inno above, but just on the front wheel.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/yakima_frontloader_bike_carrier_no_8002104/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B%7EcC4ure5Lf%60%7E

moshimonster
    Free Member

Rickos – I very nearly went for that one too, except there were at least a couple of user reviews where the bikes had actually come off it. Probably user error, but it was enough to put me right off! So I went for the Inno. I wonder what would happen if you had a slow puncture and the tyre went flat while you were driving along? Would it still retain the wheel? I’m not sure, but at least the Inno holds both wheels so there is some redundancy.

But I do like the idea of a rack that doesn’t hold the frame so I’m hoping the Inno will be good. Haven’t actually used it yet though.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve not had any problems and it’s easy to use with built in locks. I suppose the scenario you mention could happen, but then I think it would flop about in the wheel holder bit and you’d probably hear it and be able to stop to retension it. I can’t see how some people have had bikes come off unless they were using the wrong slot – could be using the 26 inch slot for a 29 inch wheel so that the wheel wouldn’t go right the way in properly. That’s the only thing I can think of – it’s really simple. I liked the Inno with both wheels held, but it was expensive and for the amount I use it (once every 2 or 3 months for about a 30 minute journey) the Yakima was good enough.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Rickos – I’m sure you are right and it is a reputable brand and presume no product recalls. I notice the reviews mentioning failure seem to have disappeared unless I read them on another site.

The failures I read about talked about the wheel lifting up and out of the carrier arms, which I can kind of imagine looking at the picture. Maybe you could strap the wheel rim to the arm as a failsafe, similar to the rear strap?

Rickos
    Free Member

Don’t know how the wheel could lift up and out to be honest, but yes, you could use an old pedal strap to tie them together easily enough. I always get my bike in and mounted and then give it a right good shake and wobble to check it’s secure and it never moves. I’ll have to see if I can lift the front wheel out next time, but I somehow bet I won’t be able to.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What Mountain Bike Carrier – Roof Mounted’ is closed to new replies.