Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • what more do i need? tubeless gubbins
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hi, i have one tubeless valve core thing, my wheels are lined with yellow tubeless tape (came with bike) and i have 2/3rds of a bottle of sealant.

What more do I need to go tubeless? I’m guessing one more valve core thing, and tubeless ready tyres. Is that it?

ta in advance

brassneck

Maybe a bit more sealant as you’ll inevitably waste a bit if it’s your first go 🙂

A compressor makes life a lot easier, or a really good high volume track pump.

Inflate the tyre with a tube first to seat one bead, then remove tube add valve and sealant and go for it.. should be OK with most TLR tyres now.

sandwicheater

To start with, you’re sorted.

Was surprised how easy it was. Do have specific tubeless rims/tyres.

I set aside 2 hours but 10 mins later and all done. Just my normal floor pump did the job.

Watch a youtube video before if you’re not sure.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok, slightly perturbed by how easy it sounds. The Stan’s kit come with two types of tape

“2 molded rim strips with integrated valve” and “1 roll of Universal Kit Tape”.

I don’t need these then?

Thanks again!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Bump

gee
    Free Member

All you need as a minimum is two valves, some sealant and some tape.

The idea of the rimstrips is to space out the rim and tyre in case they are a very loose fit. If you can’t get the tyre inflated with just the tape then remove the valve and fit the rimstrip with moulded in valve.

GB

freeman
    Free Member

Put the valves in nice and tight, bit of soapy water on the tyre beads pop them on the rim, pump up with a floor pump preferably to seat the beads on the rim, deflate, take valve cores out, you’ll need a small adjustable to do this, squirt in 60mlish of sealant, replace valve cores, re-inflate, then shake the wheel side to side, rotate and do again a few times to wash sealant about in the tyre. Piece of piss, took me about 10 mins to do both wheels with the No-tubes kit!

thepodge
    Free Member

I did mine today with insulation tape under rim strips, was dead easy with a track pump, I’ve no idea why I put it off for so long

bentudder

Don’t be put off if it’s a nightmare the first time. Watch the vids (the Stan’s one is great). Use washing up liquid on the beads – makes it much easier. Be patient. Make sure once it’s all inflated that you put the wheel on its side for a few minutes, and then flip it over – a bucket is good for this. Leave it overnight if you can.
    I’ve never gone out and bought tubeless specific tyres – just converted what I have.
    Have fun.

thepodge
    Free Member

my tyres were tubless, I tried it without any soap kind of like a dry run first & it went up straight away so I just stuck 2 caps of gunk through the valve core instead of unseating it. Everything is still airtight this morning so it looks like its all good.

how much gunk do people put in when they are topping up through the year?

Yak

Usually 2 caps will last the winter – about 4months. At the end of that theres not much liquid left and a fair amount of rubber balls. Clear the rubber balls out and put another 1 1/2 – 2 cups to get the volume back up to 2 cups. This will then need looking at and topping up every 3months or so when its warm.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks for that

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘what more do i need? tubeless gubbins’ is closed to new replies.