Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What mobile tool box?
  • dannybgoode

I need a good, robust but portable tool box for a load of radio kit + battery, charger etc.

Needs to be able to haul a good 50-60kg – I am wanting something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-193968-Mobile-Work-Center/dp/B001IBFEZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435858428&sr=8-1&keywords=stanley+tool+box+on+wheels

But that doesn’t fall apart (seen this in the flesh and the coupling between bottom and top half does look flimsy).

Any suggestions?

DiscJockey
    Free Member

There isn’t much else on the market. I looked around at places like Machine Mart when I wanted to get my mum something for her art supplies, and ended up getting the same Stanley item you’ve got (from B&Q). I agree, the latches that clamp the two boxes together don’t inspire much confidence !

Depending on how serious you are, or how much you’re willing to spend, you might be better off getting a luggage trolley and strapping some better tool boxes to it. Dewalt do some boxes that supposedly clamp together, but I’ve not seen them myself:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/dewalt-dwst1-70702-tsak-combo-ii-iv-storage?da=1&TC=SRC-tool%20box

weeksy
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Again, depending on budget, Bosch now do a load of different L-Boxx type things, compatible shelves for a van and various trolleys that fit – of course being Bosch, they’re going to be expensive, but if it’s for work, it’s tax deductible and they clip together really well (currently have three tools in L-Boxxes and the clip in and out system is simple and strong.

Edit: google L-Boxx or Bosch Sortimo

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

That rolling work centre is a DIY product….

…a bit more pro and stil OK price would be Pro Mobile Tool Chest

If you want really robust then this oooh shiny

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I got over of the Stanley ones for £20 from B&Q, great for the money but I’m not sure it would lug 50-60kg about?

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

At £20 you get a DIY box……so should be lightweight use….

dannybgoode

The weight is mainly a lead acid leisure battery. The rest of the kit isn’t heavy but will likely be rolling it over paths etc so I can set my radio up /p.

Battery is just a bit too heavy to carry comfortably on its own otherwise everything else would go in a boggo hand carry toolbox and I’d carry the battery in my other hand.

midlifecrashes

For that weight, anything other than a strong metal frame and decent wheels isn’t going to last. You could start with a big sack barrow and adapt the boxes on to it.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

That Stanley item you first mentioned is OK. As long as you store the heavy items in the lower compartment, it won’t matter too much that the top half isn’t held all that rigidly. I’m not saying it’ll pop off on it’s own, it’s just that it might wobble slightly at the join if a bit top-heavy.

There isn’t much at that price – as above, most alternatives are at least 3 times more, and I doubt they’re 3 times better for what you need. Better to spend money on your expensive hobby !

Leigh
    Free Member

We have dewalt tough system boxes, expensive but we’ll worth the money

spooky_b329

Guy at work uses those, they last less than a year.

The sides are fairly thin so the top doesn’t always fit right, though the top to bottom latches are OK.

Very low ground clearance, wouldn’t do off road and it tends to scrape on the pavement, more clearance if you tilt it more but the handle isn’t long enough.

He probably has 20kg in it. He’s also broken the top handle, wheels fall off etc etc.

There are better versions, but personally I reckon a decent big toolbox mounted to a sack truck with pneumatic tyres would be 10 times better. Or a Bob/Revolution trailer and a bike!

spooky_b329

This:

or this

or this

all look like they would do the job better than the Stanley. ( 🙂 )

dannybgoode

Thanks guys

Went to B&Q today and bought this one:

http://www.diy.com/departments/stanley-plastic-tool-box-l620mm/261674_BQ.prd

Had a good tug and then looked at the toolbox and this will do the job just fine.

Cheers

Danny B

spooky_b329

Not a patch on the mobile work bench.

dannybgoode

@Spooky – no its not but then I would not want to load the work bench in to the boot of my car and then pull it up a footpath to a suitable site to set my station up.

And note the first one you have posted a pic of *is* a Stanley :p

nickdavies

Had a good tug and then looked at the toolbox

Um.. 😳

On topic, i’ve got one of those, was given to me a few years ago and it’s great, nice size not too heavy and has lasted well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What mobile tool box?’ is closed to new replies.