Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What Maxxis Tyre setup?
  • simonbea
    Free Member

I picked up a second hand bike last year which was still on its original tyres and am only just getting around to changing up, at a guess the current ones must be at least 3+ years old! I’ve got access to some good prices on Maxxis tyres but struggling to work out what the best tyre combo is. The riding I do is a mixture of xc/trail centres and the occasional downhill run at places like Aston. I’m after a good all rounder setup which is going to cope with the mud and wet rock/roots at the moment and still be good later in the year.

I’ve been leaning towards the Ardent/advantage/highroller tyres.

Could anybody give me any more recommendations, this is my first time buying new tyres so little out of my depth

cheers

Simon

weeksy

High rollers are good, but heavy. They’d do the job well.

davewalsh
    Free Member

My favourite Maxxis tyres for the riding that you describe are a 2.35 Minion on the front and a 2.25 Ardent on the rear. Ardents aren’t brilliant in mud though so if you regularly ride muddy trails I’d put a 2.1 Advantage on the rear. Can’t comment on HR’s as I’ve never used them.

smiff
    Free Member

funny, was going to say what dave said above.
    High Rollers are good but more “advanced” because of the gap / lean angle thing.
    for someone less experienced, Minions and Advantages are very confidence inspiring tyres, go for them, if you’ve not used modern tyres you’ll be amazed. normally 60a front and 70 rear. currently running Minion 2.35 front, Advantage 2.1 rear, and they are similar size, maybe Adv slightly bigger because they size differently. i would get the kevlar but not the Exc (more delicate). should find them around £25-£30 if you shop around.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What Maxxis Tyre setup?’ is closed to new replies.