Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • What makes a Chris King or DT Swiss hub worth £280+
  • Northwind

fatmuthahubbard – Member

“done it lots of times, have used small drift and hammer too.”

I’ve a feeling we’re talking about different things. The ring’s completely recessed into the hub body so how does a boa work with it?

Houns

King come in pink, the others do not 8)

solamanda
    Free Member

Hope for the win. If pawls wear out quickly just ring them up and they’ll send some free of charge. Try that with Chris King! I noticed the earlier pro II pawl springs would snap prematurely but the replacements sent out were heat treated and solved this issue.

Sheldon breaks everything so his opinion is invalid. 😆

13thfloormonk

Hope for the win. If pawls wear out quickly just ring them up and they’ll send some free of charge.

Its an old argument though. Hope customer service might be outstanding, but I’d rather not have to rely on it in the first place if I could just spend more on a hub that didn’t need it in the first place. Seeing more than one picture of split hub casings hasn’t exactly sold me on the ProII either.

13th-“probably about to learn the harsh reality of DT hub ownership”-floor monk

solamanda
    Free Member

Seeing more than one picture of split hub casings hasn’t exactly sold me on the ProII either.

Could that not partly be down the sheer popularity of the hubs? I’ve never seen one fail riding dh for 8 years. No product is perfect but sometimes the most popular get a bad rep from a small % of their users. Most DH riders at uplifts in the UK are running hope hubs.

It only seems to be mincing xc riders worried about hopes splitting. :fact:

Northwind

solamanda – Member

“If pawls wear out quickly just ring them up and they’ll send some free of charge.”

Not ideal if the pawls go on the first day of a week’s holiday or something. Yes Hope are great at fixing things if they go wrong but it’s better if they just don’t.

(I’d say “if the axle snaps” but most people seem to find out they’ve broken their axle ages after they did it)

13thfloormonk

mincing xc riders worried about hopes splitting

Well, yeah, because DH is hardly the greatest test of a hub’s reliability or (rotational) strength is it? Plus splitting a hub while mincing 50k from home is hardly fun either.

[hackles down] 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I’ve a feeling we’re talking about different things. The ring’s completely recessed into the hub body so how does a boa work with it? <

Ditto 😉

solamanda
    Free Member

Not ideal if the pawls go on the first day of a week’s holiday or something.

But if they fail it’s dam easy to fix them without the need for a specific tools and springs can be bodged. Try flying with those CK tools in your bag? I’ve once done 63 days of alpine uplift DH in one summer on hopes with zero issues. I think these concerns are more than abit exaggerated.

With the £300 I’ve saved not buying CK hubs/headset that gives me a huge budget to replace a wheel on holiday. I’ve not had a major failure on my bikes in 24 weeks of alpine riding over the last 8 years despite using bike with these ‘unreliable’ hope hubs. 🙂

13thfloormonk

‘unreliable’

Nobody’s saying they’re unreliable though, just that they are less reliable than DT or CK. Which kind of brings the thread full circle.

Why are DT/CK more expensive than hope? Because they are more reliable. 8)

(This is all hearsay on my part, I’ve not even got my DT hub yet, and would never pay CK money. You’ll hear it here first if my £160 DT hub fails on me though!)

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve dismantled my hope pro2 hubs umpteen times and I cannot see why they are worth more than my ssc ones. Bearing life is surely a non issue as you can cheaply replace any bearings with good quality ones. For some reason my hope pro22 rear knckers bearings in no time, whereas my ssc rear hasn’t worn a bearing yet (although to be fair I replaced all the bearings in my ssc hubs before morzine this year as a precaution, but the old ones coming out were mint)

tollah
    Free Member

you forgot “and have convinced yourself that your various super expensive bike purchases are justified when the folk around you riding Shimano etc are just as happy.”…but good to see you’ve elevated your status over the rest of us!

Yeah whatever!
    🙄

hora
    Free Member

Can I just say, if anyone wants to sell me chris king wheels…. I’m all ears

gee
    Free Member

I have 5 CK headsets on MTBs, variously up to 13 years old, with the other bike having a 4 month old FSA Orbit Extreme Pro, allegedly the FSA “equivalent” to CK. Guess which one had a seized headset when I went to ride it the other day. And no, I don’t jetwash anything.

GB

13thfloormonk

Guess which one had a seized headset when I went to ride it the other day.

Wow, I’ve never had a seized headset since I started riding, guess I’m just lucky then!

Northwind

You seized a headset? How? My oldest Orbit is 2 years old, used daily on a commuter and frequently hosed and jetwashed, the casing is corroded but the bearings are perfect. So I reckon either yours was somehow faulty, damaged in installation or damaged in setup.

martinhall
    Free Member

I had a Hope on my Pace for about 3mnths. Couldn’t stand the f*ckin awful noise. Had CKs on flow rims for just over 2 years. Never touched the front hub and only ever done a clean and lube service on the rear a few times a year. Its not difficult and you don’t need a degree to do it. CK parts are easy to get hold of, if you have too. But in 2 years, i haven’t. Are they worth £280? Yes
    PS. I’ve got a Hope hub on my road bike. I just don’t stop pedalling

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Seeing more than one picture of split hub casings hasn’t exactly sold me on the ProII either.

Mrs PPs FRONT Pro2. It’s gets little use: Once or twice a month. In 3 years it’s on it’s 3rd set of bearings too. To be fair, Hope are replacing it and I’d never, ever knock their customer service, but I do get a bit sick of using it…. 😕

iphone_pic by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

gee
    Free Member

Haha – no the FSA wasn’t damaged in installation… It’s been ridden since September, couple of times a week off road in the mud/rain/snow. Remember I have a 13 year old King that’s still going strong in about it’s 10th frame… It’s just a crappy product with cheap bearings.

GB

Northwind

It’s neither crappy or fitted with cheap bearings. So, either it was fitted wrong, faulty or otherwise damaged. Any good product can fail fast under the right circumstances. Even the worst headsets don’t just seize, you’d feel it going rough long before that but FSA’s sealing on their cartridge headsets is as good as anything out there even on the ones with no seals outwith the bearings themselves.

hora
    Free Member

Mrs PP is core. FACT.

br
    Free Member

For some reason my hope pro22 rear knckers bearings in no time

I’d have to question whether you are seating the bearings properly?

I have bought a number of Hope wheels, and no problems at all except for a few pawl springs. Shimano ones I find hard work with the cup/cone.

I do have a DT240 rear which I bought s/h a few years ago – no problems with it and its lighter than the Hope’s.

I keep lookin at a matching DT240 front, but, not at that price.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

For some reason my hope pro22 rear knckers bearings in no time

I’d have to question whether you are seating the bearings properly?

No. He’s not. I don’t have a pic to hand right now, but Pro2 bearings are simply too small. Imagine looking at a Polo mint lying down. That’s a Hope XC bearing and they last for years. Now imagine looking at a Hula Hoop (Thinner) that’s a Pro2. Just not beefy enough.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Here you go. Pro2 bearings in the bag. Hope XC bearings to the right. You decide…..

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

thekingofsweden

I missed the bit about shimano hubs and happiness !

I’m starting to get the ‘ratchet not engaging in cold weather’ thing with my current DT Swiss rear hub.
    It did it briefly a couple of weeks ago in freezing weather.
    It did it again yesterday on the way to work and on the way home. It seemed alright immediately after leaving a warm room, then started slipping once it was cold.

First of all,is this the right tool to dismantle it, a standard Shimano lockring tool ?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7975

Secondly, I’ve got the wheel laid on it’s side, dribbling releasing oil down the gap between the lockring and axle. Is this a worthwhile short term cure ?

Thirdly, what’s special about the DT Swiss special grease ? What’s the best readily available lubricant for the star ratchet, oil or grease ?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

My DH bike came with a DT wheelset and althought the rear has been flawless I’d be extremly worried if it ever did go wrong or if I decide to go for a different axle configuration.

I’ve had to yank my hope free hub apart beside the trail before – but a little bit of cleaning and lubing got it operational again, new pawls and springs from the shop cost next to nothing and arrived within days.

Reliable vs. reapairable.

With the cost of King hubs wouldn’t you be better off with a cheap spare wheelset?

mmannerr

MidlandTrailquestsGraham
    I’m starting to get the ‘ratchet not engaging in cold weather’ thing with my current DT Swiss rear hub.

If it is proper DT 240 hub with star ratchet you don’t need any tools to service the free wheel, just take the wheel off and yank the cassette off the axle. There are 4 parts there, clean and lube with very light grease or fairly thick oil.The star ratchet works well into at least -30C when lubed with oil – I’m not going to ride colder than that very often.

DT does cheaper two pawl freewheel mechanisms but I don’t know anything about them. There pretty good instructions on the DT site for most maintenance works.

robdob
    Free Member

I think most people would agree that Hope Xc hubs are probably the most reliable hubs, it’s such a shame they don’t make them any more. Wish I hadn’t sold mine. 🙁

With the cost of King hubs wouldn’t you be better off with a cheap spare wheelset?

And from the first post on this thread. 😉

I’m thinking about building a spare pair of wheels…

I’ve got the spare parts illustrations and repair instructions off DT’s site.
    Not surprisingly, they recommend their own grease.
    If you’re using oil, mmannerr, I’ll give that a go.

D0NK

MTG I just use a little shimano wheel bearing grease, as mmannerr says just pull the freehub off with the cassette (mind your hands on the cassette teeth) If it started playing up mid ride I’d consider whipping it off and using whatever oil you had to hand. Its that easy.

Tollah I’m interested in the strap wrench thing, as others have said DT ratchet drive rings are recessed – or did you mean something else?

slowjo
    Free Member

Haven’t read all the posts but fwiw I have had a pair of DT240s for approx 6 years or so. They have never missed a beat and are still spot on with no play, rumbling etc etc. I have had many XT hubs over the same and they never last more than a year.

Take up on the DT is much better than almost any others I have tried… except my fixie of course! 😉

Update on the slipping freewheel problem.

I ended up pushing the bike half way home on Tuesday because the ratchet wouldn’t engage.
    Went to Halfords and paid £7 for a lockring tool that CRC sell for £4.
    Stripped the freewheel and found, as Donk says, I could have pulled the whole thing off in one lump without the tool. 🙄
    Cleaned out the dried, gummed up grease and oiled it.
    Rode to work and back on Thursday with no problems, despite the weather being much colder.

rondo101
    Free Member

do those complaining about the reliability of the pro2 bearings have any opinion on the difference the introduction of SS bearings to the pro2 evo will make?

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘What makes a Chris King or DT Swiss hub worth £280+’ is closed to new replies.