Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • What low pressure gauge for fat tyres ?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Ah. So my RennKompressor guage has a thread of about 12mm (1/2″?). I’ve just replaced the (high pressure) guage on my Silca (which was what got me thinking about this) and that was smaller but i don’t think as small as 1/4″

Splash-man
    Free Member

So my RennKompressor guage has a thread of about 12mm (1/2″?)

How have you measured it ?
    I suggest you check thread dimensions on a chart before jumping to conclusions as to what the actual thread size it. That could actually be a 1/4″ thread…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

How have you measured it ?
    I suggest you check thread dimensions on a chart before jumping to conclusions as to what the actual thread size it. That could actually be a 1/4″ thread…

er, yes. The SKS will be 1/4 and the Silca 1/8th. Now, could you explain to me why a 1/4″ thread is around 12mm?

Splash-man
    Free Member

The thread size relates to the ID of the pipe designed to fit into the thread.

So for example the pipe fitting into a 1/2″ BSP thread will be approx 15mm but the thread will measure approx 20mm or 3/4″.

Clear as mud isn’t it 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Clear as mud isn’t it

Plumbing fittings remain an unholy mess of mixed metric and imperial specs – I just can’t comprehend how we can still have not properly switched to metric 53 years after the process started.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So that works. £5.80 for a 1/4″ 60psi gauge from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253007752858 and I’ve got a RennKompressor that should be accurate in the 20-40 psi range.

Hopefully the length of the hose and the space at the base of the pump should mean that any tubeless jizz
    won’t get as far as the gauge.

whitestone
    Free Member

Plumbing fittings remain an unholy mess of mixed metric and imperial specs – I just can’t comprehend how we can still have not properly switched to metric 53 years after the process started.

Mainly because so much of our housing stock still has imperial sized pipework. We are on a private water supply, the alcathene pipe to the house was put in in the 1970s and is 1″. We did some work on it a couple of years ago: imperial to metric converter joint, a bit of metric pipework then another converter at the other end!

Splash-man
    Free Member

I’ve got my gauge as well but need to take the pump apart to change it !

dovebiker

I have a Lezyne digital trackpump which registers from 3psi – not worried too much about absolute accuracy, just that what settings I need for what tyres in what conditions. I’ve ridden in conditions where it was simply about having enough air to hold the tyre on the rim and feeling the tyre bottoming-out on the rim – some arctic racers simply go by the number of wrinkles in the tyre sidewall as a guide. In those conditions, you’re rarely riding fast but it can be difference between riding at 4mph or pushing and post-holing up to your knees in snow.

Northwind

I have 2 D2s, they’re both fine but they read slightly differently which is irritating- consistent but clearly not both accurate.

Wasn’t that convinced by my accugage, the relief valve is incredibly slow which makes finetuning annoying. That’s not that big a deal but it just made it worse than the topeak to use

Splash-man
    Free Member

Took my Joe Blow apart only to find that I can’t change the gauge grrrrrr

I have borrowed a D2 from a friend it the seal is horrendous losing loads of air each time you check.

Time for Plan B

BadlyWiredDog

I bought a Fabric Accubar on my own advice. I think it’s pretty good. More expensive that swapping out a gauge on an existing track-pump, but has the advantage that you can use it with multiple pumps and it’s just about light enough to carry on the trail. Works great with a Lezyne Alloy Drive and has the advantage of not unscrewing the valve core like the Lezyne connector likes to.

Means you can tweak pressures on the trail and match them to previous settings that work for you, which I’ve found problematic with the squidge test, probably because I lack the ultra-sensitive finger pads of other posters.

It has a a pressure bleed button, which works fine, and, if you attach it to a tyre at a pressure above 40 psi, which is the maximum the gauge measures, it’ll automatically release pressure until it reaches 40psi. You can use it as a stand-alone gauge as well, though obviously if you do that you can only measure and/or reduce pressure rather than increasing it. But hey, you carry a pump as well, right?

Feels reassuringly solid and well made and can be used on both Presra and Schraeder valves. If I was being picky, I’d say that the markings on the gauge face could be clearer between the main 5psi divisions. Seems good for both 650b+ and standard mountain bike tyres, but a bit low – 0 to 40psi – for my cross bike.

Not cheap at about 30 quid, but saves buying a new track pump wth a low pressure range and is more versatile too.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What low pressure gauge for fat tyres ?’ is closed to new replies.