Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What …… Lightweight steel HT frame …..
  • letmetalktomark

I have a Soul with 100/140mm forks in a slightly burly build and I have a Ti Voodoo frame in lightweight 100mm mode.

Not really gelled with the Voodoo – perhaps me, perhaps bike.

Looking to potentially swap out the frame for a lightweight steel frame – thinking long TT and more XC orientated.

Any suggestions?

dickie
    Free Member

Light weight + steel = £lots.

I went from a Ti Voodoo D-Jab to steel Pace RC104 as the Voodoo was little too big but wanted to keep sliding drop-outs for single speed, & couldn’t afford another Ti frame but gained about a pound+ going to the Pace.

If you can afford it look at an Enigma ST Ego, steel, light, XC.
    Or Sanderson Life or Breath – long TT’s.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by light I guess…the Soul is quite light no?

Stoner
    Free Member

mmmm, that new ritchey 29er would do it 😉

boxelder

Sanderson life at 4 and a bit lbs.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Rock lobster 853 or a Sanderson.The Sanderson Breath a nice frame I had one last year. Very springy but the 20inch one is the largest they do and it was too small for me! 🙁 If I could get one to fit me I would pay a little more and get the 853 tubed life though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You already have a Soul, theres probably not much thats lighter (or better)

letmetalktomark

cynic-al – Member

Depends what you mean by light I guess…the Soul is quite light no?

It is indeed – maybe something sub 5lbish thats is designed around a 10mm fork

Scamper
    Free Member

Soul frame is 4.4lbs, and perfectly ok with 100mm forks – mine is 24lbs in non burly guise.

njee20
    Free Member

Scapin? Proper race frames.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cotic Soul is ideal with a 100mm fork.

NormalMan

What about moving the burly build stuff from soul on to a bfe and make the soul more xc, built round the 100mm travel fork?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about moving the burly build stuff from soul on to a bfe and make the soul more xc, built round the 100mm travel fork?

Whats the point in that? Why not just buy another Soul?

rewski
    Free Member

Enigma ST Ego is an amazing bike, light and nimble, filet brazed version is lush.

wwaswas

not sure what the budget is but there’s a few people doing custom steel now – 18bikes, chickens cycles are local to me (Brighton) and Jon’s a really nice bloke;

http://cyclestuff.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/steel-is-real-a-public-service-announcement/

http://www.chickensframeemporium.co.uk/

NormalMan

Bfe slightly cheaper atm. Plus geometry slightly different iirc, so just a bit ‘different’ really and the route I would be tempted to take in light of the OP’s comments.

fathomer

Buy a BFe for heavy duty stuff and put the lightweight XC kit with a longer stem on the Soul?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Bfe slightly cheaper atm. Plus geometry slightly different iirc, so just a bit ‘different’ really and the route I would be tempted to take in light of the OP’s comments.

Geometry is the same. Not really any point in putting all the stuff off the Soul onto a heavier, stiffer frame. May aswell just get another Soul.

NormalMan

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the 2 different Soul’s approach. Just giving MHO if I were in the the OP position. For some reason I thought the geometry was different but I was obviously mistaken.

Like I said, for the sake of being ‘different’ I would opt for Soul and BFe line up.

trevh
    Free Member

pipedream scion 100 to 140 fox forks brilliant

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What …… Lightweight steel HT frame …..’ is closed to new replies.