Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • What lightweight hike boots don't fall apart?
  • charliedontsurf

£120 merrel moabs have lasted about 120 days.
    Another goretex merrel actually sucked in water on damp pavement – not even puddles.

So what brand still makes proper footwear, rather than cut production standards and spend their money on advertising and BS?

Point me in the right direction.
    Cheers
    charlie

corroded
    Free Member

Always been very happy with Meindl boots:

http://www.bramwell-int.co.uk/meindl/meindl.html

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Merrell makes "trendy" shoes that just don't do the job properly – I've had loads of pairs (currently got some Intercept Gore-tex) and they never grip well and look tatty very quickly.

My Berghaus Explorer GTXs (leather) on the other hand weigh naff all, are totally waterproof and grip like a limpet. Under £100.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

for light boots I have found Hitech to be good value – so long as you don't expect them to be waterproof. Decent boots at a good price.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have some Rossignol Goretex & Vibram hiking/approach shoes that just won't die.

They've survived years of walking, biking, festivals and holidays.

Obviously they're not current models, maybe five years old, and I haven't conducted a factory inspection to determine the company's current standards – but I'd certainly buy another pair (esp at £25 from TK Maxx).

xcgb
    Free Member

I have been using Brasher supalights very good although a bit thin under the foot (but that's where they save the weight I guess) Supafeet insoles helped with that though

Stainypants

I use brasher lithium lighter than my trainers lasting OK including biking throught the winter. Again maybe the sole is a little thin.

Nick

epicyclo

I don't look for waterproof in a boot anymore.

I'd sooner it let the water in and let it out like the old Highlanders brogues – no retained water = warmer feet.

I use Sealskinz socks for waterproofing. Cheaper to replace than a boot.

BTW I tried Sealskinz with sandals in deep snow and my feet stayed warm whereas my waterproof boots with ordinary socks eventually got wet and cold inside from snow getting in at the top. Sealskinz with the boots also got cold for the same reason, but kept my feet dry.

I'm now a sandals convert. I'm looking for red socks so I can join all those nice walkers 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I adore my kaylands. They took ages to break in mind.

I just wear approach shoes in summer mind.

Shackleton

La Sportiva and Scarpa have always stood me in good stead although it is hard to get their less technical models in the UK. The new Brasher range are also well made and very functional (from talking to testers) although they don't fit my feet so can't comment beyond that. Zamberlan, Asolo and Meindl also make good boots. I've managed to trash so many pairs of Salomons, Merrels and Hi-Tecs that I wouldn't have worn them if I didn't get them so cheap or free.

And as far as I am concerned, if I'm going to be using boots in wet conditions (i.e. UK), I actually prefer leather over a water proof membrane lined boot as often the liner gets perforated with wear (or thorns, barbed wire, etc) redering the boot less than perfect whereas leather, if looked after, works very well and my feet don't get as sweaty in hot weather. May make me seem like a bit of luddite but merino base layers work better than boil in the bag hellys too!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

epicyclo

You should try some decent gaters, or breathible waterproof trousers.

epicyclo

anotherdeadhero – Member
    epicyclo
    You should try some decent gaters, or breathible waterproof trousers.

Got them, tried them. Too much faff.

Sandals and Sealskinz are simpler and work.

benman
    Free Member

Sportiva and Scarpa have always lasted well for me. The glues they use just seem to hold the boots/shoes together much longer. My Kaylands seem to be doing okay too.

Had bad experience with Merrell and Montrail.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

LOL, well if you're happy and that setup works for you, fair enough.

epicyclo

anotherdeadhero – Member
    LOL, well if you're happy and that setup works for you, fair enough.

Bit embarrassed at wearing sandals after all the cracks I have made at the expense of sandal wearers in the past 🙂

I've been looking for stout walking shoes that have big holes in them to let the water in and out so I can continue using the Sealskinz without looking like a misguided rambler.

AlasdairMc

I rate Scarpa for my summer hillwalking boots, rock boots and my winter boots. The fit can be a bit narrow for some, so it really depends on your foot shape.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I was going to suggest Merrells! We both have some, have had same pair for about 6 years now and they're brilliant. never let in water, v comfy, perfect.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Got some of these and they are mega,SALOMON COSMIC 4D GTX BOOTS

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Sportiva is the brand of choice for my colleagues (in a field-based geology department). Some models even come in 1/2 European sizes.

stuartm555
    Free Member

Scarpa Zero G have lasted me years and still look good

TN
    Free Member

I can recommend Salomon Elios – mid or low.
    They're reasonably lightweight and seem to last really well, they're pretty robust.
    I have the shoe, Muz has the boot and they get some abuse from us both but so far they're staying intact and waterproof.
    They don't look too bad either which is a bonus.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I always buy leather and then the first thing I do when I get them home is give them a thorough coating of wax, then polish, then wax again.

Seems to work pretty good, softens the leather, waterproofs it good and makes the leather a bit more hardy too.

Winner.

Kendal
    Free Member

Walsh PBs. Not really walking boots but I've used them for everything you'd use walking boots for and they last for ages.

Cougar

+1 for the Berghaus. My Explorer IVs are still as comfy and water-tight as the day I got them, and my OH has a pair of original Explorers which are still going strong (and should give an idea of how long they've lasted).

Went out for a hike the other day, the rest of the group were picking their way across stepping stones to cross a stream; I plunged on through it, didn't break stride and didn't give it a second thought, 100% trust in them. Plus they stick like anything, four-wheel drive for your feet.

A quick Google would suggest that they now do Light versions too.

BadlyWiredDog

It all depends on your foot shape – you need to try different brands. You're also looking at a classic trade off between lightness and durability scenario. And waterproof membranes tend not to last in footwear for some reason, Gore-Tex has a lifetime waterproofing guarantee, so you can always take them to the retailer and most likely have them replaced.

RustySpanner

Altberg make superb boots, and they come in various different width fittings. British too.

I find continental boots a bit narrow – but Zamberlans, Scarpas and Raichle boots are very well made if they fit you.
    Killed a pair of Meindl Burma's in less than a year – way too much stitching and the rand kept coming unglued.

Karrimors are pretty good for a cheaper & lighter boot.

matt_outandabout

All our staff seem to wear Salomon (30 odd outdoor instructors). No moans or gripes from anyone.

Bedds
    Free Member

I love Asolo.. Got the Powermatic 500's for winter and the Force for summer..

I'm part of a Rescue Team and they get a real kicking, been using for 2 years and bar 3 reproofings have been great.

rootes1

brasher hill master – nice soft leather

Nick

I've got two pairs of boots, a pair of Scarpa SL M3s for rocky mountainous walking and a pair of Berghaus Explorer GTX lightweight goretex lined fabric boots.

Both are brilliant, but I'm most impressed with the Berghaus's. They are a bit to soft and flexible for mountains but great everywhere else. They are also completely waterproof having stood up to 2 days of standing in the mud at the Green Man festival two years ago and never leaking once, they never came clean but are still going strong two years later.

TenMen
    Free Member

+several for Salomon. I've worn mine for several 80+ miles walks, haven't needed any breaking in and have shown no wear and tear at all. They've never blistered me either.

theyEye
    Free Member

Really like AKU — have a pair of Slope GTX, and they're brilliant

They're light IMO, although AKU makes some ultralight ones as well.

skiprat
    Free Member

Brasher or Solomon here. Friends have Brasher and I've got Solomon. Both make cracking boots that are very comfy and last!! Had mine 3years now and still have plenty of life left in them.

Try either and i'm sure you'd be happy.

mttm
    Free Member

+1 for Altberg. A fantastic range of fittings and as Rusty Spanner says, British too. Prices stack up very well against the competition. I'd given up getting boots that fitted properly until I found these – never looked back.

surfer
    Free Member

Inov8 boots are great for moving quickish, the same outsole as the fell shoes, as grippy as a grippy thing with grippy bits on!

PiknMix
    Free Member

I was going to buy some Soloman Cosmic's but had a few reports of the glue coming unstuck, that being said a mate of mine has them and they are awesome.
    I have the quest GTX which is a similar boot but fully stitched.

Very waterproof and as comfy as hell, wont last as long as a full leather but the mobility I have with them is perfect for my kind of work.

Jerome
    Free Member

Got a pair of Zamberlan light something, thinner leather boots – been around the world a few times. Nice and light, not too warm on you feet and even look ok when polished. Scapa manta for colder tougher stuff. Would never buy fabric boots after having them fall apart too many times, anything with gore lining is boil in the bag so I would also avoid.

tazzymtb
    LadyGresley
    Free Member

Salomon – I wear 'em every day – and I have got various styles 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What lightweight hike boots don't fall apart?’ is closed to new replies.