Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What "Leatherman" style tool to replace my old swiss army knife?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Its my birthday in a couple of weeks and I quite fancy a Leatherman style multi tool to replace my old swiss army knife. Something with a pair of pliers and a decent knife blade. That's all really. I've a decent multitool that covers most bike trail-side issues, and my best trail tool is a 10" folding pruning saw that cost £3 from Wilkinsons.
    So, what Leatherman would you recomend?

kiwijohn

Skeletool

taka
    Free Member

my best trail tool is a 10" folding pruning saw that cost £3 from Wilkinsons.
    So, what Leatherman would you recomend?

what the **** goes wrong on your bike to need that? 😕

Vortexracing

I have the Gerber suspension.

Skeletool is very good and light

ir_bandito
    Free Member

taka – ha! Fallen trees. Seriously, I can get through up to 14" diameter tree trunk across a trail in a couple of minutes. My way of being a trial fairy 🙂

KJ: Skeletool looks rather tasty. But I am now thinking a can opener and a corkscrew have proved worthwhile in the past.

Ti29er
    Free Member

have look here.

I have a simple, light, 25yr old 4 bladed Swiss Army Knife (+ a tooth pick, cork screw & tweezers too) that has out lasted and out performed my £60 Leatherman and Gerber do-it-all knives. Clearly it doesn't have a saw (never found a use for that blade!) nor pliers.
    I think they did a Juicy that was pretty neat and covered most bases.

Kahurangi

taka – some of the trails we ride on need a bit of maintenance once in a while…

skeletool
    http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=2&f=6&c=1

fuse – I got one of these from Black on toon for £40
    http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=12&f=6&c=1

the skeletool is 40 g lighter but the fuse has more tools that you might never need. But might.

I got my little bro a Gerber for about the same sort of money, but there's not much to pick between the two and they haven't been used enough to show any problems.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Got a wave as a gift for being bestman – it's got more thn I'll ever use, but it's not light!

mollyiom
    Free Member

not a fan of the skelatool as it uses bits instead of designated screwdriver 'tools' been using leatherman tools for years and literally worn out 3 till there was not much blade left.

current leatherman is a 'kick' compact and light. quality!

use it at work everyday and feel lost without it.

I have a Leatherman Charge TTi which is rather nice. Got it from US Ebay when the pound was strong

Wharfedale
    Free Member

+1 for Charge Ti. Amazon sometime do pretty good deals on them.

avdave2

I think the Wave is the best balance of tools and weight. It's what I'll be buying to replace the supertool I lost after 13 years.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What "Leatherman" style tool to replace my old swiss army knife?’ is closed to new replies.