• This topic has 48 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • What kneepads for all day xc rides ?
  • iainc

Following from the other thread. I have Kyle Straits that have been in my kit bag unworn since i got them to replace an older pair that always felt bulky. I also have RaceFace Charge ones that I use often, but they offer minimal protection. Is there a Holy Grail kneepad that is comfy, doesn’t feel bulky, restrictive or slip yet offers some protection to xc knocks and tumbles ?

Oh, and Lycra inners overlapping top of pads or pads on top of inners ?

Suggsey
    Free Member

POC Vpd 2.0 get my vote.

iainc

Thanks, pricey though !

warpcow
    Free Member

I went from Kyle Straits to POC VPD (not 2.0 cos the sizing was slightly off for me). They’re comfier over-all if slightly warmer.

Proper answer is whatever fits correctly, obviously.

iainc

^^^^ yeah, but limited ranges in LBS and would like to narrow it down a bit if ordering online..

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

^^^^ yeah, but limited ranges in LBS and would like to narrow it down a bit if ordering online..

CRC Collect+ is your friend. Order loads, try them on.
    I did the same for elbow pads recently, in the end my orders must have got to £500+ (6 or 7 different pads, couple of sizes of each). If you use Paypal you can delay the payment too so you can get the return back to them before it’s taken from your account.

fizik
    Free Member

avoid the endura ones when they wear they get rough and take the skin off your knees every ride!

warpcow
    Free Member

Aye, what Doug said. All the LBSs in my town could only scrape together 3 different kinds of pads when I was looking, so I just ordered a load from places with free returns and did it that way. It didn’t take that many (about 4 different pairs iirc). My next set may actually come from my LBS though; they have some new Alpinestars ones that felt pretty good when I tried them recently.

iainc

That’s one off the list then as I’d thought they looked decent !

poah
    Free Member

trail skins

http://wp.me/p4HYH0-M

rhayter

Troy Lee KG5400. Light enough, tough enough. Hard to fault, really…

On offer at CRC:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-kg-5400-knee-guards/rp-prod59945

moonsaballoon

Just got a pair of alpine stars paragons , did 35 miles in them on Sunday and was very impressed . they have a hard knee cap cover but felt like knee warmers rather than pads , after 5 mins you forgot you were wearing them .

chiefgrooveguru

What Doug said! It totally depends on the size and shape of your legs. I bought 6 pairs from CRC which I thought should all fit fairly well and one pair did – Fox Launch Pro. Sent the others back.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve got the G form knee/shin pads. They’re comfortable and unobtrusive.

iainc

Are current offerings an improvement on 2012 Kyle Straits ? If not might just wear em !!

arcadian
    Free Member

I have a set of the Troy Lee 5400s, light enough to not feel invasive, but sturdy enough to take a decent fall. Don’t shift much when cycling, usually give them a quick wiggle into perfect position at the top of a hill but otherwise never have to adjust them.

mintimperial

I got some of those Dianese Trailskins last year, they’re pretty good. Chafed a little the first couple of times out, but since then have worn in beautifully. For example: I spent a week at the start of June slogging around Torridon, Glencoe and other bits of the West Highlands through pissing rain and cack, and they were lovely and comfy throughout. Barely noticed them, apart from when they saved my left knee a ding after a drainage-ditch related over-bar ejection. Oh, and they kept my legs that little bit warmer in the glorious Scottish summer weather… 😐

bruneep

Bliss minimalist

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

All day XC? Do you really need knee pads for that?

iainc

^^^^ probably not, but old bones 🙂

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

All day XC? Do you really need knee pads for that?

Only if you fall off 😳

zelak999
    Free Member

POC vpd 2.0 last for aeons. Mine are 3 years old and still fine.
    Kyle straits lasted me a year.
    Well worth the extra initial outlay.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

POC vpd air are considerably less bulky than Kyle Straights. They also have a strap to find tune the fit, which lots of lightweight pads don’t have.

deadkenny
    Free Member

XC stuff I don’t bother with them. I find they get in the way if there’s a lot of pedalling and particularly if it’s a fast group ride.

The more gnarly stuff I wear pads though.

Of course the only times I’ve cut my knee up is when not wearing them so on the xc rides 😀 . Though usually from doing something stupid.

iainc

thats for advice, will try some POC vpd air and Dianese Trailskins. Anyone want some unworn Kyle Straits ? 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

Leatt 3DF another good option, 39.99 from CRC at the moment, and excellent reviews. They size up a bit small though, I had to go for the XXL

HindlePie
    Free Member

I’m very happy with IXS Flow. They stay put during a fall, very minimalist and don’t rub.

My TLD ones rubbed and don’t stay in place during a crash, and go saggy after a couple of months.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Just had a set of the Leatt pads turn up, I’d read about the sizing so ordered the l/xl as I usualy go for m/l and on first try the feel a bit on the big side.

rickon
    Free Member

Leatt 3DF

Yep, I’ve got some – awesome.

I’ve actually got a lot of barely used kneepads in my spares room.

Pairs of:

661 Evo (new style)
    IXS Flow

that would meet your needs, both medium I think.

iainc

thansk rickon, I have ordered a few sized of the Dianese trailskins from Wiggle to try

alexh
    Free Member

Fox launch, feel like knee warmers

GHill

I have ordered a few sized of the Dianese trailskins from Wiggle to try

Good call. I’ve got a pair and actually wear them – unlike a pair of Kyle Strait’s that are sat in a cupboard. 😆

iainc

cheers Grant 🙂 I don’t suppose you wanna buy my Kyle Straits then !

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I do not own these but have just been looking into pads myself and want something light, comfy etc and think these will be the business – 7 iDP Covert Knee.

Saw lots of the EWS riders using them (who ride a lot harder than I do), you can ‘customise’ the padding and they look quite light and all day friendly.

rob8624
    Free Member

Yea, I recently bought the 7 Transitions, finding them really, really nice to ride in.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

XC = no knee pads (unless v cold)

rickon
    Free Member

XC = no knee pads (unless v cold)

Good insight.

noeljenkins

Is there a Holy Grail kneepad that is comfy, doesn’t feel bulky, restrictive or slip yet offers some protection to xc knocks and tumbles ?

Race Face Charge – weightless, stay put, genuinely unnoticeable, low profile. Limited protection but perfect for what OP was asking for.

iainc

^^^^^^ ,indeed, and in fact, as I said in my OP

. I also have RaceFace Charge ones that I use often, but they offer minimal protection. Is there a Holy Grail kneepad that is comfy, doesn’t feel bulky, restrictive or slip yet offers some protection to xc knocks and tumbles ?

😀

MSP

I ave just received 5 pairs of different pads to try, non off them actually fit me, so they are all going back, but if they had fitted these would have been the lowest profile while still providing proper protection.

http://www.blisscamp.com/en/bike/protection/bliss-vertical-knee-pad/a-18798/

others were 661 evo, tld 5400 & 5450, leatt 3df

still waiting for some RF ambush to arrive

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What kneepads for all day xc rides ?’ is closed to new replies.