Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What kneepads for a large sceptic?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

The time/age/catalogue of tumbles has come to give consideration to some kneepads. I saw a suggestion on a previous thread to buy a variety of sets and try them all for the best fit, which makes sense. What should I put on my list for a reasonably unobtrusive (I’m imagining I will find them annoying) kneepad for the not-so-scrawny of leg?

karl1824
    Free Member

I now using ixs flow pads and love them, had 661 Kyle straits before and much better for all day in the saddle, watch sizing as come up small. Use ixs sizing chart.

Tracey

We are all on G Form. Used them for all day in the Alps. Seem to work when needed and are very comfortable and unobtrusive

iainc

I posted a few of the previous threads and tried over a dozen recommended ones. Ended up with Alpinestar Paragons which I like and also RaceFace Charge which are more like knee warmers but work for scrapes.

chiefgrooveguru

Go through lots of size charts and reviews and then order half a dozen likely contenders from CRC (or similar). Spend an evening or two wearing them round the house and keep the pair that fit best. Send the rest back! Personal recommendations for pads aren’t much use. I ended up with Fox Launch Pro which fit my legs which are S/M below the knee and XL above according to most size charts.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers folks. CGG, quite, but just looking for suggestions to go on the llist!

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Another vote for g form from me. Happy to wear mine all day just forget they are there

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’d bought a few to try previously but sent them all back because they didn’t feel good but recently I bought these with a trip to Fort William in mind.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/leatt-knee-guard-3df-2015/rp-prod89058?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsIWvBRCnzevvor2g4L8BEiQAAN234bry7qViFBKfERartEGEuS4amLh2HUXA1FGqdrMGMh4aAsuY8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

They seem to have good protection with comfortable straps. I’ve worn them all day at Comrie and Fort William and never gave them a second thought.

tom.nash

Sweet Protection Bearsuit Lights – the most comfortable knee pads I have ever worn. So much so I sold two pairs of POC pads. Work all day on long rides with no discomfort.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks. I’m going to try the IXS, Leatt and Sweet Protection first, from the size charts they seem the most promising.

teasel
    Free Member

Troy Lee pads come up larger than the stated size would suggest. A medium in the 5400s is definitely for a larger leg, for example.

Del

no side protection on those sweets? nearest thing to your knee, most of the time, is your top tube. it hasn’t happened a lot, but on the occasions i have smacked my knee in to my top tube it’s been hard, and i’ve been very glad to be wearing the 661 rages. YMMV

Rubber_Buccaneer

I second what Del says as I still have a little pain in my knee from an off in May. I’m pretty sure the top tube did it though I was in no position to access what was happening at the time. I was wearing some cheap 661s (white plastic knee and shin jobs, don’t know the name). In short I want my knee cocooned in protection.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Fair point, I’ll continue researching.

MrSparkle

I’m not sure why the fact you are American is relevant?

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙂

US large vs normal large maybe

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What kneepads for a large sceptic?’ is closed to new replies.