Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • what kindle?
  • alpin
    Free Member

having just finished my last book i’m now looking for a more convinient way of carry 1600 pages around with me. I like to take a book with me to the sauna or down to the river to help while away the hours.

there are so many Kindles available.

what do you have/recommend?

Bought the Mrs a Kindle Paperwhite and genuine cover for it after her Nook died – she loves it – better function and loads more books available than Barnes & Noble. Handy that we have Amazon Prime too. Battery last for ages. Can’t see why anyone would need anything more flash

jimdubleyou

Mrs Dublyou & I both have the Paperwhite.

Pretty good imo.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure I’d want to take a Kindle *into* a sauna mind.

I’ve got a paperwhite 3G. The paper-white bit is a bit misleading – the page is the same colour as the other kinds, but there’s an even backlight that makes it look white. However this is actually far less comfortable for my eyes, I prefer the slightly off-white colour when it’s un-lit, and that of course saves batteries. After all, paperbacks aren’t pure white either.

Definitely get the official covers though – they are far better than other options.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Paperwhite is the best model in terms of bang for one’s buck. I have the v2 Paperwhite, and it’s great.

If money is no option then go for the Oasis.

20% off all Kindles at the mo. Not sure for how long, tho. You save an extra £10 (£7 while the 20% deal is on) for having special offers enabled. This just means you get adverts on the home screen, and screensaver. Not really an issue for me…..especially not compared to STW 😀

They are not sauna proof. Even if you used a waterproof case, it’d probably just steam up.

northernmatt

Me and MrsNM both have the paperwhite. I had to buy one as I’d hijacked hers. I read a lot in bed so the backlight helps when she has nodded off and wants the light off.

Klunk
    Free Member

paper white, though some have a habit of the paper white “tearing” for no apparent reason. If it happens out of warranty be very persistent with amazon, and quote EU regs to them and they will replace free of charge as it’s a known fault.

Murray

Paperwhite. It’s great.

alpin
    Free Member

when i say in the sauna…. i mean not in the hot steamy box, rather the relax area outside. 🙂

I’ll have a look at paperwhite.

molgrips
    Free Member

I lost my Kindle a while back, even though we were strapped for cash I replaced it as it was such an important posession!

ampthill

If it is for reading don’t buy a colour tablet

I have a paper white and use it to read in the dark so the back light is useful

If you don’t read in the dark just buy the cheapest

Northwind

I think I’d be tempted by a Voyage, now… It’s barely any better than the paperwhite and it’s a fair bit more expensive but you tend to use these things a lot, for a good few years so for me it’d still probably be worth it.

molgrips – Member

but there’s an even backlight that makes it look white.

Frontlight, not back

I’m not sure I’d bother with any sort of cover.

My kindle’s almost five years old and has never had a cover – the case has just picked up some interesting patina.

I prefer the ones with side buttons to turn the page rather than the touchscreens, but I’m not sure you can get them now.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The voyage brought back buttons…well, haptic sensors.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine takes a bit of a beating, so the cover is essential. Plus I need to have the open flap doubled back to hold it comfortably.

scotia
    Free Member

kindle 3 here i think, with 3G. I dont use the keyboard atall, so when it breaks i will try to find similar..

hasnt had a cover from new i have a felt pouch type thing that i carry it around in..

works great, since 2008…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘what kindle?’ is closed to new replies.