Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What Jackets were you all wearing in the rain this weekend
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

Got a couple of hundred to splash on a decent riding jacket for this winter, what were you wearing

igm

None – I rode in the sun on Saturday and stayed in today. But when it is wet I favour a Gore Bikewear Paclite jacket at around £125. Light enough to stash, waterproof enough and breathable enough.

thegreatape
    Free Member

A Rab Vapour Rise. Water-almost-proof, and pretty breathable with it. Even when soggy it’s warm and soggy, not clammy soggy.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I would not spunk 200 boo on something I’m gonna rag silly on my bike. 30 quid craghoppers over here, proper waterproof and reasonably breathable. And I didnt ride this weekend! Gutted, first time in a long time that I missed out! Where’d I go Saturday when it was sunny you ask? **** ikea with half of fookin Derbyshire!!!!!

Drac

Merak

The DHB Wickham E-vent is very good. I used it for the first time in anger on a tour of the Western Isles last week. Lets face it your not getting much more of a test than that! £84 I paid with various discounts, cracking vfm.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No jacket needed! Woooo! I did have a rather nice Montane Pertex gilet for a couple of sections of Saturday’s ride though.

simon_g

DHB Wickham here too – just need to keep an eye on prices as it vary from £80ish to £110+ depending on how much they’re discounting. Been very happy with it, water still beads off nicely and they’re very breathable – managed to convince a mate (who seems to have sweat pouring off him as soon as we start moving!) to get one and he no longer stops at the top of a climb to drain the sweat out of his sleeves!

iDave
    Free Member

went monsoon running in a sombrio thing and was bone dry

uplink
    Free Member

I tend not to bother, just use a windproof

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Gore Fusion is an amazing jacket using it for riding and running. Can fault it

O
    Free Member

Suit jacket, set off nicely with a shirt and tie.

This was at the Brompton World Championships mind.

Oh, and it’s a rubbish combo for riding in the rain.

hh45
    Free Member

Endura MT500 for proper bad weather and deepest winter. Really protective but v bulky..

A Karrimor paclite – all the rage a few years ago but mainly downgraded to commuting now, or for damp days with showers. Packs down quite well. No ‘features’ which is a good thing.

A Montane thing that packs up to the size of a typical orange – mainly for roadie emergency duties. Compact yes, but only showerproof.

starsh78
    Free Member

Altura Nevis – £49.99 bargain dryness!

BadlyWiredDog

A strange North Face hybrid thing – Trajectory Jacket – in today’s torrential Peak rain – has waterproof sleeves and front and shoulders, but breathable soft shell back and sides. Kept the worst of the rain off and was breathable enough to cope with riding uphill when things got drier. I did get quite wet eventually, but I was mostly comfortable. I normally wear a Montane event bike jacket in wet conditions btw.

ton

a made to measure cioch, made from nikwax anology.
    it was made by a nice lady in northern scotland………where tey now about heavy rain…… 8)

GaryBanham
    Free Member

£5 pac a’ mac and it took the edge off just enough for the couple of hours I was out……. I also didn’t cringe when it got pulled through tight bushes either side of the track :0)

elaineanne
    Free Member

none (again i rode in the sun on saturday 8) :mrgreen:

theres going to be loads of rain agin this week !
    was surfin today in the floods in singletrackland ! 😉
    crikey FLOODS were massive here… 😕

yunki
    Free Member

skin is waterproof… and breathable.. for £200 I will skin my gran and sew you a jacket in the design of your choice..

pac-a-mac is king..

gordimhor

a madison fluorescent yellow thing cost about 60 kept me bone dry in loads of downpours over the last 18 months but the velcro fasteners on the cuffs catch on everything

_tom_
    Free Member

pff I just went riding in a t-shirt and shorts. Only out for about an hour though, any longer and I probably would have started getting miserable.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Berghaus Goretex Paclite.

Not the best for MTB to be honest, it’s my emergency festival/car boot waterproof really, but my only other waterproofs are my Finisterre Matanuska M65 which is too nice for biking or my Westbeach Ridgerunner snowboarding jacket (ditto).

Wouldn’t mind a biking specific jacket, but I’ve just spent £115 on some Timberlands and am trying not to buy myself any more gifts this side of the January sales!

hainman
    Free Member

a nice burnt orange mountainwear softshell thats actually water and wind proof,50quid from go-outdoor,

niloC
    Free Member

Altura Crosslight, £50 on ebay at the moment, as good as Goretex or Event for not a lot o dosh!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Normally a Gill Prospeed but went to reproof it yesterday and all the PTFE membrane has departed company from the other layers so wore my Paramo Velez Adventure Light and I ended up with a wet chest, not sure if it was rain that went down my neck or sweat build up. If it gets wet when I am walking in it, it will be going back to Paramo to see what the problem was/is.
    I have been thinking of getting an Altura Attack Extreme as I am one of those people that seems to find all jackets have a boil in the bag effect on me.

nickc

I tend not to bother, just use a windproof

+1

warmth is more important.

GW
    Free Member

just a T shirt

4ndyB
    Free Member

Berghaus RG1

Coyote
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of the Altura Night Vision Jacket? Claims to be waterproof and has a lot of reflective stuff for night riding.

carbon337
    Free Member

+1 Altura Nevis

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Out mountain biking in the pishing wet for two hours, an Endura Munro packable jacket that cost £30-odd a few years back and has lain stuffed in a ball in panniers and rucksacks for months on end. Got back to the car sweaty but protected from the elements.

Out walking the dogs when I got home, a Paramo “windproof and water repellent” jacket that has been religiously tech-washed and nik-waxed ever since I got it.

Got home after about 10 mins out in less heavy rain, soaked along every seam and right across the shoulders.

Based on my experience I’d say don’t believe the considerable hype about Paramo clothing. Waste of money.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Raceface Kenny cos it were cheap, using it for work(couriering) ATM, but friday in London was nice and wet and i was dry when i got home…another bonus is the hood fits over my helmet snug so extra dry!!

juiced
    Free Member

2004 raceface shore waterproof. had to reporoof it recently. been great.liked the hood on those kennys.

naokfreek
    Free Member

It’s quite a thing…guessing it was designed to do just that, but it works!!

Northwind

None, it turns out Scotland was the driest place in the country :mrgreen:

Though it’s too warm for full waterproofs surely, if it’d been raining I’d have had my lovely Altura gilet on since it keeps the body dry but doesn’t boil me like a bag of rice. I’ve got a great winter waterproof made of magical future-stuff but still, even wearing a long sleeve jersey boils me up.

GW
    Free Member

Edinburgh and the East maybe, I can assure you it was pishing down across d&g way all day on Saturday.

woffle
    Free Member

Wool duffel (duffle? sp?) coat with ventile patches on the shoulders – toasty and bone dry in the serious downpours we had all over the weekend.

On the bike I just stick to my Gore gilet – keeps my core warm. I’ve yet to find a waterproof that I don’t just boil in (and I’ve tried every type of eVent / Goretext etc going) – also, if you’re in the rain for more than 30 minutes I’m pretty much going to get soaked from the head down anyway so not sure I see the point…

votchy
    Free Member

Endura Event jacket and Event 3/4’s, bone dry when I got home, apart from my feet, my goretex socks had failed me 😥

oldgit
    Free Member

Not a rain jacket, even though it was pouring down the whole ride.
    I’ve got an unbranded winter road jacket. It’s not a waterproof, but it has this weird windproof front like the grippy stuff on woolen gloves?
    The rain does come in, but because it’s close fitting and slightly windproof I stay comfortable.
    I think it’s similar to the expensive Assos jackets.

I can’t abide waterproofs, unless I’m going to be riding very very slowly and stopping lots.

Had a Lowe adventure race smock thing rolled up in my back pocket in case of a big mechanical.

gordimhor

Scotland was the driest place not around Falkirk on saturday it wasnt 😀
    my waterproof was well tested but very slow and stopping lots is my normal pace 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What Jackets were you all wearing in the rain this weekend’ is closed to new replies.