Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • What is your idea of a good driver?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If they can use their indicators that's a start. Especially at roundabouts.

TheSanityAssassin

The ability to wear a trilby at a rakish angle driving any car, not just a Saab.

radoggair
    Free Member

think it was fifth gear who raced a highly qualified police driver v's vicky butler-H. He was 4 secs a lap slower. On the road though, different story

car position, speed, awareness and laying off those brakes make a good driver IMO

snaps
    Free Member

Best driver I know

I'll get me coat

Drac

Gavgas your right so many panic in snow and ice too drive far too slowly.

pacemaker
    Free Member

23 years and 350,000 miles of driving experience with no insurance claims, so far.

350k in 23 years.. bloody hell i have done 140k in 2 years.!(without accidents!)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The abilty to drive fast in icy conditions so I can keep up with the dangerous drivers who can't drive. Then nearly lose it as I fishtail down the road because I wasn't concentrating and didn't see the ice.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

"think it was fifth gear who raced a highly qualified police driver v's vicky butler-H. He was 4 secs a lap slower. On the road though, different story"

Two of the best motorcycle riders I have ever ridden with were women,I could easily ride and follow road position at high speed, with no question as to ability or forward observation,One was fastest (at the time) female british rider around the nurbering in Germany!

I have been passenger in vehicles with Class 1 Police driving authorisation and many of them have frightened the living daylights out of me!! (ex police mechanic). :roll

The biggest problem I think is the Concentration you need to drive well, with so many distractions around you,Its much easier to drive faster and rush into situations "when your in a hurry" than it is to slow down and anticipate the hazard thats round that blind bend.

A good driver can make progress in a safe and controlled way, while also taking into account situations created by others, through forward planing and good observation. 😉

mk1fan
    Free Member

Depends what you define as driving?

If it's track driving where the goal is to maintain ultimate speed then any of the F1 or WRC drivers do it for me.

For driving on the public road, getting from A to B, then the first 'skill' is to put 'driving' the car as the first priority. A friend of mine puts it in about seventh place behind talking, looking at things around them, etc…

CountZero

Interesting comments about never being caught out by sudden unexpected situations. Years ago I was driving my dad's Capri to deliver some chrissy cards. Just overtaking a slower mini on a stretch of dual carriageway when the car suddenly spun sideways, shot 90 degrees across the front of the stunned mini driver, over the kerb, across a wide grass verge, missed by two feet a large two-post road sign, before coming to rest parallel with the road in the right direction, just on the edge of a ditch, car in neutral, engine idleing. Turns out the rear off-side tyre had blown out suddenly throwing the car into a slide at 60mph. The cops who turned up a few minutes afterwards, just coincidentally, checked the road surface but could find no cause, and were kind enough to help me change the tyre 'cos the jack kept sinking into the ground, so I had a police officer winding the jack handle like fury while I whipped the wheel off and put the spare on. Not saying that was good driving, but the fact I had the car in neutral while it was ticking over impressed me. 😉

Trekster

Goan – Premier Member

23 years and 350,000 miles of driving experience with no insurance claims, so far.

So what did you crash into but not put though your insurance?

hehehe, have to have a laugh at that one ❗

Near enough 40yrs driving and:

2 days before my first test I managed to roll an Austin 1100, broken steering arm caused the crash. Rolled the car XXXX times, crawled out of the upside down car through the hole which used to be the windscreen ❗
    Crashed an MGB into a sandstone dyke and demolished a 30mph sing. Bald tyres on a wet road caused that one.

No claims on either due to being "works" cars.

Used to do a bit of road rallying/autotesting in my late teens and early 20s. One or 2 guys bailed out as navigators due to my "speed". I then got an experienced female navigator who reckoned I was the fastest but safest driver she had sat beside ❓ 😀

I had a friend whos dad was a policeman who asked me to have a test drive in a car he wanted to buy(I was a mech at the time). We took the car for a bit of a drive around some of the local back roads. He was interested in "what can it could do" and said give it some welly, well I needed no further prompting 🙄
    After a bit he commented that he wished some of his colleagues were as smooth and fast, took that as a bit of a compliment 😀
    Friends comment was that her dad thought I was a right nutter 😈

Re the comments on the AMI. We put our son through the scheme straight after he passed his driving test. He was driving quite a bit to get to and from work. He was fortunate to get a police driver as a tutor/advisor and thought it was the best thing he had done re driving.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What is your idea of a good driver?’ is closed to new replies.